Bo11ox' Aircraft Carrier

Mr_Bo11ox

Great to hear of your exploits once again. I saw your interest on the Z when it was advertised - that's great news you've managed to seal the deal and get it back on your driveway. 

Cracking starting point for your project too. How has it sat for fifteen years and not gone all Ka? It must have been stored really well prior to the lay-up too, given the fact that the bits which tend to go ginger still look pretty damn respectable. 

I'd seen some snaps of this over on the social medias, I hadn't realised how honest and solid it really is from those.  The styling of these can be best described as 'reverse mullet' but it's still a joy to see one and for the price paid you did really rather well.  Finned Zs go for considerably more when you can find them and the only advantage they seem to have over these later models is some stylish fins out back.  Anyway, here's a hurried snapshot of a nice one I spotted locally last August.  I reckon I've seen all of two aircraft carrier Zs in the real world in the last decade, and that includes ones at shows.

202008-03.thumb.jpg.2793977aabeb47cd1a4e650bd46e8a49.jpg

202008-04.thumb.jpg.21f76a7469e0190ff23d9699382bb722.jpg

Wonderful stuff Mr B - should you need a middle man for parts importation, let me know if you would benefit from any “local” representation for parts in Australia or New Zealand.  If they won’t ship to the uk, maybe they will ship to Christchurch and we can sort freight forwarding from here.

Having done Hairnets moped, some rubber trims will be a walk in the park!

Had a quick scan on TradeMe.  There’s a few bits knocking about including this little puppy so things can be found down this way

3AA9A206-D5AB-4667-9374-BD68FDF275F5.png

5 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Then I had a brainwave when I realised that the main piston is not actually hydraulic at all!!! its the little one on the left of the X-section that is, that must be the one that PP resleeve. So actually, those miserable looking pistons will be perfectly OK after all. I will just clean them up as best I can and chuck loads of vaseline over them to protect them.

Yes, this is correct. It's only the small piston bore that gets resleeved. They used to recon these calipers all the time, but JR Wadhams (I think) sell exchange ones cheaper now so people don't send old units in anymore. Had some lovely new splined adjusters made for them, as the teeth are often stripped, now they're just sat on the shelf gathering dust!

This is an absolute barg, check out the bench seat! You'd feel on top of the world wafting around in that, burning up vast quantities of petrol. Much more interesting than a P6 and on the rare occasion you do see a MK4, it's always a Zodiac; the Zephyrs don't seem to have survived very well in comparison.

Looks very impressive.  There used to be a road in Southampton where three of these were always parked.  One had an old record siliconed to the roof presumably to stop a leak.  There was a garage and one day I saw it open, and there were even more of them in there.  Good luck with yours though it doesn't look like it needs too much.  Definite candidate for patina restoration.

I'm so glad this has stayed on here, and with you!  Being old, I not only remember these on the streets: I can remember them being launched in 1966!  (A most appropriate term for this shape of Zephyr there.)

I nearly had one too, way back when I was 18 or so: KLE 200D, which I think was a V4.  But I never got to sit in it, never mind drive it.  I'd really like to try one with the column shift, it can't possibly be any worse than the floor shift in my 72 Granada.  And bench seats are for Absolute Winnahs.  Good luck with it!  Should I have a look in my stash of books and see if there's a Zephyr one lurking?

Yay bollox etc.

Glad you're back as we will need boots on the ground in the Somercotes area around new year - the infamous prolapsed Cortina will be MOT exempt and potentially prowling the streets again.

EDIT: the thing is MOT exempt already but won't be tax exempt till next April so maybe that's the time to be on standby.

image.thumb.png.f5bfdcab1f2cc4971044621d84aafee9.png

1 hour ago, JeeExEll said:

Early registration madness, have never seen a Mk4 on a 1965 C-plate.

Official launch date was 20.4.66 - I have a press pack for the launch. Not sure, but I think some of the location shots were done in Beirut. 

Thread followed: I love the Flying Pig, my father had a (non-Exec) Zodiac for 15 years. 

Has it been top-plated around the front struts? I can't see the characteristic bulge in the middle of the front wings...  and if someone hasn't yet replaced that fibre oil pump drive and timing gears in the engine, now's the time to do it.