Jump to content

World's worst Saxo


jcr
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, jcr said:

As much as I hate to let this go to scrap.... I think a certain Talbot will be taking it away along with the parts I ordered to build his insane lawnmower. 

My grass is getting nervous!

This is a real warning for me as I am keeping an eye out for a Saxo for myself. I sold these new when they were first launched in 1996 and think it is time I had one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon it's had a bump that side and somebody didn't zinc prime it everywhere and seam seal also hence its rotted. 

Shame but you've made the right choice, get out quick before you get in too deep. 

Love these saxos as well but you can't save them all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shane to scrap but a worthy purpose for the afterlife - can't wait to see this mower! 

 

Are Bosch pumps rare on these? Our recently purchased 1998 106 has a Bosch pump, to my delight! Probs won't be running veg but was comforted by the simple fact that it wasn't a Lucas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

I recon there's going to be even more in there once the grinder comes out.  A deal is being thrown together to make this into something very different.

Was it you who built the mk1 nutty lawnmower? Or possibly 6cyl? I remember reading of some crazy contraption which had to be sold on or something  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

was comforted by the simple fact that it wasn't a Lucas. 

The Lucas pump is actually a "better" pump on diesel.  It has the capability of higher fuel economy and is generally a bit more sophisticated.  The Bosch pump is more robust on different fuels, hence being prized by alternate fuel users, but it's definitely more crude too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stephen01 said:

seems this is going to a good home

It's going to a terrible home!  I plan to rip it to pieces and pick over the remains.  It's actually in *better* condition than what I was hoping to use for my stupid project, but I think jcr has come to the conclusion that it's going to be a money pit, and hence would rather cut his losses and move on.  It was a tongue-in-cheek offer that I made for it, so if someone else actually recons they can us it as is, that might be a better proposition.

An actual wreck of a Diesel 106/Saxo will turn up eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It's going to a terrible home!  I plan to rip it to pieces and pick over the remains.  It's actually in *better* condition than what I was hoping to use for my stupid project, but I think jcr has come to the conclusion that it's going to be a money pit, and hence would rather cut his losses and move on.  It was a tongue-in-cheek offer that I made for it, so if someone else actually recons they can us it as is, that might be a better proposition.

An actual wreck of a Diesel 106/Saxo will turn up eventually.

It sounds like a friggin great idea 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stephen01 said:

seems this is going to a good home, however if it does come up for sale can i put my hat in the ring! 

I'd rather it go to Talbot, because this thing is not worth repairing and putting back on the road I assure you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jcr said:

I'd rather it go to Talbot, because this thing is not worth repairing and putting back on the road I assure you!

Absoualtly no worries at all, I have a pipe dream of a diesel Herald, touring Europe running on Veg 😄I have very little mechanical experience though so by the time i actually get around to this it may well just have been the oily bits left as the rest would have rusted away!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

The Lucas pump is actually a "better" pump on diesel.  It has the capability of higher fuel economy and is generally a bit more sophisticated.  The Bosch pump is more robust on different fuels, hence being prized by alternate fuel users, but it's definitely more crude too.

I had a couple of 106s years back. One had the Bosch pump, the other, a Lucas. The Lucas pumped-car was more economical by a couple of mpg. I did 30k in both cars and used to keep records of the fuel consumption (sad git!) 

I'll also say, neither ever went over 65mpg, no matter what anyone claims. 

There's a lawn mower available in The States that uses a TUD5 engine. I only know because I had the manual for this mower, that doubled as an excellent resource for TUD5 repairs! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...