World's worst Saxo

jcr

13 hours ago, jcr said:

As much as I hate to let this go to scrap.... I think a certain Talbot will be taking it away along with the parts I ordered to build his insane lawnmower. 

My grass is getting nervous!

This is a real warning for me as I am keeping an eye out for a Saxo for myself. I sold these new when they were first launched in 1996 and think it is time I had one. 

Shane to scrap but a worthy purpose for the afterlife - can't wait to see this mower! 

Are Bosch pumps rare on these? Our recently purchased 1998 106 has a Bosch pump, to my delight! Probs won't be running veg but was comforted by the simple fact that it wasn't a Lucas. 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

I recon there's going to be even more in there once the grinder comes out.  A deal is being thrown together to make this into something very different.

Was it you who built the mk1 nutty lawnmower? Or possibly 6cyl? I remember reading of some crazy contraption which had to be sold on or something  

9 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

was comforted by the simple fact that it wasn't a Lucas. 

The Lucas pump is actually a "better" pump on diesel.  It has the capability of higher fuel economy and is generally a bit more sophisticated.  The Bosch pump is more robust on different fuels, hence being prized by alternate fuel users, but it's definitely more crude too.

8 minutes ago, stephen01 said:

seems this is going to a good home

It's going to a terrible home!  I plan to rip it to pieces and pick over the remains.  It's actually in *better* condition than what I was hoping to use for my stupid project, but I think jcr has come to the conclusion that it's going to be a money pit, and hence would rather cut his losses and move on.  It was a tongue-in-cheek offer that I made for it, so if someone else actually recons they can us it as is, that might be a better proposition.

An actual wreck of a Diesel 106/Saxo will turn up eventually.

58 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It's going to a terrible home!  I plan to rip it to pieces and pick over the remains.  It's actually in *better* condition than what I was hoping to use for my stupid project, but I think jcr has come to the conclusion that it's going to be a money pit, and hence would rather cut his losses and move on.  It was a tongue-in-cheek offer that I made for it, so if someone else actually recons they can us it as is, that might be a better proposition.

An actual wreck of a Diesel 106/Saxo will turn up eventually.

It sounds like a friggin great idea 😁

1 hour ago, jcr said:

I'd rather it go to Talbot, because this thing is not worth repairing and putting back on the road I assure you!

Absoualtly no worries at all, I have a pipe dream of a diesel Herald, touring Europe running on Veg 😄I have very little mechanical experience though so by the time i actually get around to this it may well just have been the oily bits left as the rest would have rusted away!

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

The Lucas pump is actually a "better" pump on diesel.  It has the capability of higher fuel economy and is generally a bit more sophisticated.  The Bosch pump is more robust on different fuels, hence being prized by alternate fuel users, but it's definitely more crude too.

I had a couple of 106s years back. One had the Bosch pump, the other, a Lucas. The Lucas pumped-car was more economical by a couple of mpg. I did 30k in both cars and used to keep records of the fuel consumption (sad git!) 

I'll also say, neither ever went over 65mpg, no matter what anyone claims. 

There's a lawn mower available in The States that uses a TUD5 engine. I only know because I had the manual for this mower, that doubled as an excellent resource for TUD5 repairs!