World's worst Saxo

jcr

Typical 19 year old boy racer wagon? 

• Diesel
  • Rotten
  • Unbelievably hacked together (wood screws, Sellotape and bathroom sealant)
  • 140,000 miles
  • Oil leak(s)
  • Crap brakes
  • No clutch (found out trying to cross the Pennines... lol)
  • Concerning rear wheel camber

....maybe not quite a VTR. But a fun* project!!!

20210406_112841.thumb.jpg.cee3d60052efe55baedba098f92dc20f.jpg

Gave it a wash

20210406_121347.thumb.jpg.b092dcbea7bab037efd470b79afece08.jpg

My favourite part has to be the Renault wheel trims. lol

Tomorrow the wire wheel and cutoff disc comes out. There's a lot of work needed for both. Pics to follow

Will be an engine out job for access. That inner wing is rotten on both sides and the rot below where the coolant expansion bottle would be is very close to the bracket to which the engine mounts.

Looking for a crane but in the mean time I can get that strut out and brush chop and fabricate

We’ve had a number of Saxo’s over the years, even a rare Bosch equipped TUD5 diesel. I’m astounded to see how they rot, completely to other PSA stuff, I now understand why they all vanished. 
The best one we had was a 2001 VTR, diesels never dropped below 65mpg. 
Good luck saving this one, I do have some engine parts kicking around if you need anything. 

As much as I hate to let this go to scrap.... I think a certain Talbot will be taking it away along with the parts I ordered to build his insane lawnmower. 

It really was so much worse than I had anticipated. I reckon I could have just about done it given time and space but I am lacking for both at the moment. 

I really liked this car. Despite the slipping clutch the drive back over the Pennines from Barnsley was enjoyable. They really are fun cars to drive. And very economical. Will be having another one in the future I am sure.

1 hour ago, BL Bloke said:

I was surprised to see how much rot there was, it looked in decent condition in the first two photos. It makes me wonder what my Saxo's hiding behind its wheel arch liners.

The rest of the underside is pretty solid. Just a few bits of surface rust where its been jacked poorly. Boot floor spotless. Sills are perfect. Very frustrating that the only rust was in the only part of the car I couldn't see pre purchase. 

Maybe it was parked with the nose half in a lake for a while.