I detest criminals - UPDATE - Great pics of dash replacement

UglyAmerican

I had my Beetle broken into. They mullered the door lock on the drivers side and took a £60 newish CD player. Not happy.My uncle then donated a very nice JVC head unit that he'd raided from a company car, along with a 12CD changer. I fitted it and remembered to remove the fascia every night. A few months later, they broke in again - through the passenger door lock, even though the drivers one was still knackered and turned with a screwdriver. They rifled through the glovebox, took the remote control for the stereo, and they pulled the carpet up and found the lead for the changer, which was behind the back seat.I then don't know how long they spent trying to get the back seat to fold down, but they didn't manage it. Pulled the cable all out so knew where the changer was, but couldn't get to it. That must have been annoying.They also left the fasica-less head unit, a chequebook and a load of CDs. They looked in my toolbox for work, took a pair of pliers, and scattered floppy disks on the back seat.In a releated theme, my mum's house got burgled a few years ago when I was living there. They stole some really cheap jewellery (as in a few quid from Argos - not in a chavvy way, but in a wear-it-to-work-and-get-it-scratched way), and then raided the penny pot and took £20 in 1p and 2p coins.... must have weighed a bit! They left a mobile phone and my arrived-that-morning, still-not-signed-it credit card on the coffee table...!

I actually live in fear because of the British justice system. One big issue i have is if a burglar so happens to accidently end up in your house, your not allowed to knock the shit out of him or her,Apparently your allowed to use "Reasonable Force"

My mate told me you're allowed to stab him with a knife you got from the kitchen as he tried to attack you. I'd be guffawing with joy as I stabbed the Birkenhead North rat that was rifling through my meagre belongings to death.

My uncle then donated a very nice JVC head unit that he'd raided from a company car

Are you sure if wasn't your uncle that 'raided' your Beetle? :D

Haven't fingers crossed had the missfortune of having my car broke into but have had a car vandalised. Safe to say the police did nothing but can't say i expected anything else. I remenber as a kid when i was growing up on a lovely council estate in tamworth a neighbour having his mk2 cavalier lx broke into by a bunch of youths. They tried bump starting it down the street because the road went downhill but they failed to foil the alarm so bailed out an let the car roll downhill into somebodys house front door! An my mum had 1 wheel stolen off her uno. My uncle joking to my dad that night while drunk in the pub 'three wheels on my wagon' didn't go down well.

The van got broke into, and the radio stolen. I hope they tried to sell it to somebody really dangerous, cos it didn't work.

A similar thing happened to my old Volvo 340. Bastards smashed the window, climbed in (hopefully cutting their hands on the glass covering most of the driver's side) and nicked a shitty old CD player that they must have caught a glimpse of halfway underneath the passenger seat. The fucking thing didn't even work. If I'd have caught the stupid cunt in my car I'd have punched him in the hooter.

Might have mentioned this before but a guy tried to nick my Chevette back in 1992. I caught him at it and he legged it. Despite telling Plod who he was, they wouldnt do anything as the car wasnt actually stolen (even though locks were mullered). I turned up at his workplace the next day and he sent five of his mates out to ask me what I was doing there. I said "Nothing mate, just having a smoke as you do" Stood there until his shop closed and he left surrounded by these five guys as he was scared to come out alone. Cowardly Twonk.Noticed Dreyfuss is above me, should I be worried?

My first proper motor was a white GTE Manta hatch with white wheels. Bought it, survived on potato waffle butties for two weeks untill I sold my Punto then some pond scum decided he deserved it more and crashed the damn thing. Took it down a one-way street the wrong way, in the middle of the night and in the rain, and hit a bollard. Wrote it off, insurance shafted me after I lost my NCB and even the council chipped in for the price of the bollard repair. Police never found the bastard, but then they wouldn't when they didn't even look at the car. :evil:

I've had 2 of my cars broken in to1st one was pretty bad, I was a student and had a 316 BMW, yeah I know posh for a student but it was fucked beyond belief but I HAD to have a BMW to impress girls, was out shopping in the town in Staffordshire and came back to my car to see a leg hanging out, blood boiled so I opened the door and slammed it with all my might on the thieving scums leg......long and the short of it was he got off scott free, I got dragged through court and fined £1,500 for damage to the twat due to fracturing his ankle so he couldn't 'work' and a criminal record for assault........2nd one wasn't really broken in to more my fault, pulled up at a petrol station to get 20 smokes, didn't lock the door and came back to find the new intercooler and silicone hoses I'd just bought for my 5t gone....typical 'but I was only gone 30 seconds' scenario.

I've had 2 of my cars broken in to1st one was pretty bad, I was a student and had a 316 BMW, yeah I know posh for a student but it was fucked beyond belief but I HAD to have a BMW to impress girls, was out shopping in the town in Staffordshire and came back to my car to see a leg hanging out, blood boiled so I opened the door and slammed it with all my might on the thieving scums leg......long and the short of it was he got off scott free, I got dragged through court and fined £1,500 for damage to the twat due to fracturing his ankle so he couldn't 'work' and a criminal record for assault........

Not much help, but I would say that was all down to how it appeared when the coppers arrived. I would have said I fell against the door in my rush to see who was sat in the car, and be very very sorry.I double parked a bloke when doing a delivery in Covent Garden (actually it was his girlfriend that was driving). After a shifty look round he banged my head against the bonnet of a jag by getting hold of my hair from behind. On recovering myself, I chased him up the street screaming like a banshee, catching up with him just in time to kick him very hard up the arse with me steel toe caps, sending him face down onto the back seat and forcing the woman to drive off with his legs stuck out of the car. By the time I called 999, I was the distressed victim just in case there was any repercussions....... :wink:

My uncle then donated a very nice JVC head unit that he'd raided from a company car

Are you sure if wasn't your uncle that 'raided' your Beetle? :D
:)For some reason his old employers were happy to provide stereo upgrades when he had his company motors, I think it was an A4 Avant he had with a CD changer in it. And it went back with a hole in the dashboard, nobody ever asked. He had another too but it was only a one-slot CD player, that came out of his Sierra Sapphire.So it was semi-legit, in as much as it was boxed with manuals and stuff :)

• 1 month later...

I caved and decided that since I want to sell the Civic in a few months (girlfriend and I will share a car and she insists on automatic), I should have the dash pad replaced. This is effectively the "face" of the dash and is a wide bit of plastic, which I have highlighted in blue in this stock photo.

The original one was scraped and cut up badly after the dickheads pried out my radio with a screwdriver. I'd rather a future buyer not know the car was broken into.

Posted Image

I found a brand new one cheap, but I was baffled by instructions for replacing it. It doesn't just snap in. So I had it over to a friend's auto body shop for proper installation. He gave me a break on labor costs.

To install that little slab of plastic, the entire front half of the car had to come apart. It was ridiculous. The steering column needed to come out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Watched a prog. on U.S. border control the other day. They took a Taurus apart to find the stash. to remove the dash just use brute force to detach part then more brute force to tear the whole thing out of the car. To remove the front bumper use a saw to cut it apart. Luckily it was stuffed full of packages and the driver departed in leg irons.