AVAS, in more ways than one!

eddyramrod

11 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Stick your reg in here

https://www.scrapcarnetwork.org/

I got £210 for my daughters 207 last month

Screenshot_20210916-214516_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68ebcacc405d5e5194a4df3d0629c524.jpg

they'll collect and cash in the bank in 24 hours, used them a few times now with no issues.

Thank you!  I've accepted their offer, now I just need them to collect.

There isn't one or I might have looked at that, but are they going to buy-in a car that comes cold off the street?  Or are they just bumping up their part-exchange allowance in the hope of tying me into three years of finance on some horrible new jellymould?  Doesn't matter now, it's going.

Not part ex, it's because the whole second hand market has gone crazy, auction prices are through the roof and dealers are trying to buy stock privately, just an oddity that they seem to have blindly agreed to £500 on top regardless. I think I would have put max age of 6 years on the offer but their loss.

Bit of bad luck there, Eddy. Had the opposite problem with the Meriva I bought as a project earlier in the year. Body was as new underneath despite being 54 reg. Mot tester couldn't believe it. However, I'd found at least ten mechanical faults I'd have failed it on that I put right before the test and it still failed on one I'd missed. Car now belongs to one of my sons who thinks it's the best car ever. 

3 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Not part ex, it's because the whole second hand market has gone crazy, auction prices are through the roof and dealers are trying to buy stock privately, just an oddity that they seem to have blindly agreed to £500 on top regardless. I think I would have put max age of 6 years on the offer but their loss.

They won't buy an old shitter, I tried with the daughters car and they politely declined.

Astra came with two extra spare wheels, courtesy of CMS206.  The tyres on them are a bit* worn but they hold air.  With the scrappy coming for it on Tuesday I've just pulled the best of the set that was on the car and replaced them with the old ones, and the car's own spare.  So now I'm shattered!  I'll be worth nothing for the rest of the day.  However, the result of all this effort is that Huggy's trunk is now home to three Astra 15" steels with decent tyres on (two Dunlops and one Pirelli), and the four plastic hubcaps that covered them.  Anybody want to make me an offer on any or all of the above?  You might be surprised how little it takes to get them out of my hands...

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

I’ve never seen anyone use their truck ramps as a bridge so they can drive up the trailer and across onto the flatbed. Is that ‘a thing’?  

Yes, I used to do it with a Mk1 Transit and trailer for the company I worked for back in the late 70s!

4 hours ago, Rod/b said:

I’ve never seen anyone use their truck ramps as a bridge so they can drive up the trailer and across onto the flatbed. Is that ‘a thing’?  

You clearly don't watch Bangers & Cash!  It was interesting to watch; the link ramps are anchored to the trailer and simply flop forward onto the towing vehicle.  As the car rolled forward, it crossed my mind that the ramps, which were moving as the weight transferred, might slip off the truck and strand the car, but they are clearly long enough to obviate such disasters.  His next collection was to be a Y reg Focus, a perfect pairing!