Reb's 205 1.8D - back to work

reb

12 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

There's no fucking about with that coffee. 

S T R O N G 

Over a decade of smoking has annihilated my taste buds, I need it this strong so I can taste it!

It also drags me kicking and screaming into a state of being somewhat awake rather than the usual zombie like state without the insane amount of sugar in the energy drinks I used to use for the same purpose.

52 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

Hi Reb, is it a 2.0hdi and what was in the car before?

The original engine was a 1.8 NA XUD, the original swap was going to be a 2.0 HDI but I ran into bother with fitment and electrics, the new engine is a 1.8 XUD but with a Bosch pump instead of the Lucas of the original.

20210731_211516.thumb.jpg.5f773acf900e50641ffbd7519b5b224b.jpg

It's just simpler to use a complete known good engine rather than having to scrape together bits to refit an engine that sat outside for nearly 2 years.

Next two things need to happen:

- I need to get the HDI out of my 205s bay

- I need to order a timing belt kit for the new engine

One of these is far easier than the other.

I watched a video on how to do the belt on an XUD and it seems far easier than it did the last time it was done, but I wasn't actually the one doing it last time so I don't know.

Getting the HDI out shouldn't actually be terribly difficult to be honest because it's only hanging on the top two mounts and not wired or plumbed in. It is a big old lump to manoeuvre in and out of such a small car though. Hopefully that'll happen tomorrow.

Great song at the beginning of the video. Have you got any details of it please?
Song is by John k Samson from the album winter wheat and is called 17th Street treatment centre.
He released a couple of albums as himself and a few more with his band the weakerthans.
I'd recommend listening to any of their albums, they are one of the best bands nobody has ever heard of.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, reb said:

As a lot of you are aware a couple of years ago I tried to stuff an HDI into my 205. This was going quite well* until my dad died last march and everything went out of the window.

So now I'm left with a dismantled pug with lots of missing engine bits. This is not an ideal situation to say the least. So where do I start?

I could track down all of the missing parts on eBay and the owners club, but that would mean actually figuring out what's missing and would probably take quite a while in any case, and the chance of finding out I'm missing something important during reassembly would be a massive pain in the arse.

How about a complete engine? That sounds like it could work! Where will I be able to find one of them though? Well thankfully @DodgyBastardhas just the solution!

So I'm now treating this as day 1 of my restoration*

Step 1:

20210731_092714.thumb.jpg.f2a8d89cea02750f43465ed8b88ecc8e.jpg

Step 2 will be venturing out into the miserable weather to a secret* location to start the removal of the engine from the donor.

Updates to follow!

Would you like any water for your coffee?

Good luck with it, will be following this.