Massive collection of old buses and coaches in Ireland

mk2_craig

I think that photo only shows part of the "museum", I think they have more vehicles in other locations, depots etc. But it's hard to know because the whole operation is easily one of the most confusing and bizarre things I've ever come across! Pity that the original Kells thread started by myself seems to have been lost along with loads of other thread. I hope all lost threads and posts can be gotten back. When I first discovered this forum I spent hours reading through all the previous posts as there was some great and entertaining stuff in them.

• 1 month later...

At least the Scottish crowd actually restore many of their vehicles rather than let them languish in a field...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 16139.html

Dr Michael Grimes (71), owner and curator of the Kells Transport Museum, Tramore Road, Cork, sought an injunction preventing the bus company from disposing of 12 "KR class" single-decker Bombardier buses which he says are the only Irish designed and built buses ever and are a unique part of our transport heritage.

The company's chief executive, Tim Hayes, wrote to the Minister for Trade and Commerce, John McGuinness, saying Bus Eireann did not want to donate or sell the buses to Dr Grimes because they are not satisfied the vehicles would be adequately preserved by his museum.

Dr Grimes, in an affidavit, says he owns the largest transport museum in Europe "and possibly the entire world" with 354 buses. He has offered to settle claims against Bus Eireann if the museum can be given certain buses from the next batch which will be withdrawn from service.

Dr Grimes says Bus Eireann is being "bloodyminded" at the expense of future generations who will thank him (Grimes) for preserving our transport heritage.

110% cast-iron nutjob.

Owner would make a fugging excellent character if Father Ted was still going...What's he got against Cork airport? Seems to be a major source of angst for him, and I suspect, he is a similar source of angst for its management whom I now feel rather sorry for.Still, he does have an excellent selection of totally shite buses - why have a immaculate RT and a couple of Routemasters when you could have 300 old shitters, of which about 5% are actually of any historical or technical interest?When this bloke pops his clogs and most of these vehicles get fragged the price of scrap aluminium is going to plummet...and there's going a lot of old GRP panels to incinerate!

I've just seen this thread for the first time. :roll: This man deserves an honoured place in the shite hall of fame :) A small herd of old Nottingham double deckers is a good enough reason on its own, but not just one but four Croation Mercedes clones really puts the icing on the cake 8)

The world wold be a sadder place without people like Dr Grimes.He may be 110% nutter but he really upsets the so called authorities because he has the nerve to disagree with them.They hate their plans being questioned :)