Le-Organiste - Regie 5 and Maestro Update

theorganist

Welcome back!! What a super purchase. Lots more maestro and Montego content here lately! 

1 hour ago, theorganist said:

It seems that the cars which seemed to get the most interested when I joined over ten years ago now seem to be not so popular. 

I think it’s less that they’re not as popular and more that they’re becoming out of reach in terms of cost so there are less on the forum! 

11 hours ago, rob88h said:

Is that a 1.4L R5? They are truly excellent fun and the very car that brought me to this forum.

It certainly is. It is fun, a good power to weight ratio, well the car weighs about a pound of sugar I think! It has usefully high gearing so it is a good car to drive at higher speeds. I had a 1.2 before and that was similar.

10 hours ago, brownnova said:

Welcome back!! What a super purchase. Lots more maestro and Montego content here lately! 

I think it’s less that they’re not as popular and more that they’re becoming out of reach in terms of cost so there are less on the forum! 

Thank you.

That is true, I am surprised at how much prices have risen in a couple of years.  I have been quite lucky in finding ones which seemed to have had little interest.

The Renault only cost £250, I think partly as it had a rusty wing and ripped seats. Also it has a sunroof so didn't attract the OMGturbo reshell brigade. 

The Maestro seller had reduced the price down to £500, I think partly because it is a non-runner although I am "confident" it is a minor problem.

11 hours ago, Andy F said:

Loving the increasing amount of Maestro/Montego content. Phwoar and moar please. We were a big Austin/ Rover family until I went French and everyone copied! 

I shall have a browse of the forums and see what I have missed.

20 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The Maestro does look a bit crusty in places. I hope there's no fatal hidden grot.

Yes I think there are few spots which need some work. As you say hopefully there is nothing nasty underneath. If the worse comes to the worse I am sure I can find a buyer for it if it was too much. As ever you take a risk buying blind, I have only regretted it once so far!

2 hours ago, theorganist said:

It certainly is. It is fun, a good power to weight ratio, well the car weighs about a pound of sugar I think! It has usefully high gearing so it is a good car to drive at higher speeds. I had a 1.2 before and that was similar.

I'd had the same engine (I think) in the phase one Clio. 

Always thought of it of a bit of a warm hatch. Quick enough for what it was. 86hp from the single point injection so it was poky and fun to drive. 

Phoooar one chodtastic Maestro. My dad had a couple back in the day, an A reg one after he got his licence back after a drink driving ban, silly man, then later a G reg one, though I don't remember the A reg one as I was only about 3 at the time. He had a couple of C reg Montegos as well, a saloon which I barely remember, then a blue estate reg C441 MWE which I loved. 

53 minutes ago, drum said:

It's a 1.4 auto. 

20200920_161810.jpg

20200920_162400.jpg

That is lovely. What are the auto's like to drive? I have looked at a few, there seems to have been as many auto's for sale as manual ones recently, they were obviously popular. However I keep reading scare stories about the auto boxes imploding! I was going to look at one but it sold.

There is a lovely Renault 11 auto on Marketplace, its is a turquoise colour, a lovely colour but apparently has an occasionally rumbling diff.

I like the 5 and 11 auto's as they seem to have quite a plus spec. 

5 minutes ago, theorganist said:

That is lovely. What are the auto's like to drive? I have looked at a few, there seems to have been as many auto's for sale as manual ones recently, they were obviously popular. However I keep reading scare stories about the auto boxes imploding! I was going to look at one but it sold.

There is a lovely Renault 11 auto on Marketplace, its is a turquoise colour, a lovely colour but apparently has an occasionally rumbling diff.

This Renault @theorganist ? 

https://autoshite.com/topic/33448-renault-11-automatique/

1 hour ago, theorganist said:

It drives well. Quite nippy with the 1.4 engine. I had to put a new oil cooler on the gearbox though  after an FTP. Thought I'd killed the box, but after cooling down and an oil change, it was fine. First start after winter hibernation the engine temperature got a bit hot and the mot is up, so it's off the road just now.

My maestro is under a cover in a shed too.