Tommy's A-series Misery - Collection caper!

Tommyboy12

We're not dead or asleep! Got to Inverness about 15 minutes ago and now laying on the hostel bed contemplating my life choices πŸ˜…

Montego is running fine but it is a bit tedious listening to it strain up every hill πŸ˜‚

PXL_20211112_223932344.jpg

16 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

We're not dead or asleep! Got to Inverness about 15 minutes ago and now laying on the hostel bed contemplating my life choices πŸ˜…

Montego is running fine but it is a bit tedious listening to it strain up every hill πŸ˜‚

The achievement is the reward. Who else can say they drove a unique* 1300 Montego estate hundreds of miles in 2021?Β 

You'll be dining out on this in the future, mark my words.Β 

I've done a few at the side of a residential road before now, but on the side of a motorway???
Thats-Just-Impressive.png.20d316300a184c39accbd6b4d5802316.png
Never done a head gasket, but did change the clutch on my Renault 18 estate on the hard shoulder of the M25 circa 1987.
Lived in a house share, so all of my tools lived in the back of the car.
I knew it was on its way out, and was a job for the next weekend.
Luckily the engine was longitudinal.
I had changed a few clutches on these before.
Process was -
Drop coolant into black bin liner.
Remove radiator.
Remove engine to gearbox bolts.
Remove engine mount bolts
Using trolley jack to move engine forward.
Replace clutch.
Stick it all back together.
Took about an hour.
Plod were not happy, but I had used the emergency phone to get them to call national breakdown (remember them?), and was told it would be 3 hours before pickup, so my way was quicker.
I then had 3 different patrol cars turn up to check the progress of the nutter changing his clutch on the hard shoulder.
It did help that I used to service most of the cars for the Orpington police force, so did a bit of name dropping.
Oh to be 21 again

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

just beast it itll be fine - a series love it

24 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

what is your approximate itinererary for waving horn blowing etc?

All being well we hit John O'Groats in about an hour. Then onto Wick for the evening. Then Sunday we have to get back home to Peterborough

And so we arrive at the overnight stop in Wick. Our noble steed has completed 835 of the 1400 miles so far. Fuel consumption is about 40mpg again. There's oil being burnt on overrun but nothing too dramatic. Everything seems ok 🀞

It'll be nice to have a bit longer not in the car tonight! Last night was 8 hours in the hostel so this is a bit more of a rest. Tomorrow is a long day with 10 hours driving though!

PXL_20211113_151428294.jpg

Also, once you're out of Inverness the most fearsome and steepest summit you will face (please don't go the snow roads, it's not sommat to do on a Sunday!) is Slochd; it's really quite steep, so find something big that'll do 56mph and hypermile behind it.Β  I'm not unused to trying this in our Fiat Ducato motorhome, but it still doesn't have enough grunt to keep up with the big beasts!!!

I do, however, have experience of ragging a 1300cc D-reg mid-80s brief through the Highlands in the arse-end of the year, especially with a boot-full of Talbot Sunbeam engine.

Also, buy some Rain-X and new wipers from the Halfords in Inversneckie.πŸ˜‰

So it's day 2.5 and were nearing the off for the long leg home.Β 

Should get to Inverness about 10. Perth about 12. Carlisle about 2.30 and Nottingham about 5.30. Then it'll be just over an hour to get back to Peterborough.

It's going to be a loooong day.

PXL_20211114_073210785.jpg