Tommy's A-series Misery - Collection caper!

Tommyboy12

On 9/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, Peter C said:

Forgive me if this has already been said, however according to period (1986) What Car? magazines, a 1.3 Estate Montego did not exist. The only Montego in 1.3 flavour was a sedan.

Montego.thumb.jpg.965a0ddd912f0b901a5c603fe3b92b1d.jpg

Go on - what does the price include? I can't work out what a single one of those letters means. 

12 minutes ago, JimH said:

Go on - what does the price include? I can't work out what a single one of those letters means. 

Oooh there's a good memory test from 80's schoolboy reading of WhatCar when I should have been doing homework. I'm sure r1,2,3,4 were different types of radio-  think r2 was just a radio, r4 was a radio cassette, not sure what 1 and 3 were?  c was probably central locking?  Others power steering, electric windows and something else?  Who's got the key?!  

I wondered if the 'c' was for the talking computer, but it's only shown for the Mayfair saloon and not the Mayfair Estate. R4 possibly a more expensive version of R3? However, 'b' obviously stand for boot, so the letters could refer to absolutely anything, knowing AR at the time. Interesting question though.

18 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

did you have to pay to park there??? last time I went it was £5 iirc... robbing gits

Yeah £5 to park for all of ten minutes.

Good run today overall. Just short of 500 miles and no issues. Managed to find fuel when we needed it. It's burning a bit of oil but it's running well.

5 hours ago, JimH said:

a: air conditioning

b: central locking

c : sunroof

d: electric windows

e: rear seat belts

f: headlamp cleaning

g: split / fold rear seat

r1: pre-radio kit

r2: mono radio

r3: stereo radio

r4: mono radio / stereo cassette

r5: stereo radio / cassette

r6: four channel radio / cassette

It certainly appears to be shaping up as an AS legend, unfolding in real time... all the more respect from this corner, since I once test drove a baggy Montego Countryman diesel and found it to be literally the most dismal thing I've ever piloted.

Bonus points if you end up lodged in a funeral cortege with no selectable gears, like I did.

No, I didn't buy it. But I deeply appreciate the opportunity to experience such a feat vicariously. May flights of slightly sooty, oil-stained angels sing you north.

16 hours ago, MrBen said:

Oooh there's a good memory test from 80's schoolboy reading of WhatCar when I should have been doing homework. I'm sure r1,2,3,4 were different types of radio-  think r2 was just a radio, r4 was a radio cassette, not sure what 1 and 3 were?  c was probably central locking?  Others power steering, electric windows and something else?  Who's got the key?!  

Bloody hell, I forgot all about that! I used to have my nose in the data section of What Car? magazines in the late 80s-90s. :mrgreen: r1 was "pre radio kit". 

d was elec front windows and e was 4 electric windows. a was air conditioning. 

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

a: air conditioning

b: central locking

c : sunroof

d: electric windows

e: rear seat belts

f: headlamp cleaning

g: split / fold rear seat

r1: pre-radio kit

r2: mono radio

r3: stereo radio

r4: mono radio / stereo cassette

r5: stereo radio / cassette

r6: four channel radio / cassette

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a pre radio kit? 

Day two and we have made it to Cheshire for our overnight stop!

820 miles in. Only inconvenience is that the exhaust blew on the downpipe outside Barnstaple and I drove all the way to Cheshire listening to it! I'm averaging 40mpg which isn't too bad for the size of the old girl.

We took the coast road along north Devon through Boscastle, Barnstaple, Combe Martin before heading up the M5/M6.

PXL_20210930_082239755.jpg

PXL_20210930_084615174.jpg

PXL_20210930_112622355.jpg

PXL_20210930_114403622.jpg

PXL_20210930_120442269.jpg

29 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

PXL_20210930_114403622.jpg

The mighty TG Toyota Hilux pales into insignificance after seeing the heroic 'I'm back from the dead and I'm going to teach you all a lesson' Montego going to such lengths to be an outright 11/10 hero.

I'm assuming the previous owner who was responsible for the engine conversion/interior/long lay-up is no longer with us. However, if they are still living and breathing, someone should must send them a couple of paps of the old girl's exploits. Having said that, they may keel over from the shock, so maybe not.

Who's currently got the dusty key to the Autoshite awards cabinet? 

Edit: Also impressed that you popped to the Amazon enroute. 

Edit Edit: @Tommyboy12 could you also buy the sad looking blue 309 currently for sale on here and turn that old girl into a battle-scarred warrior too?!

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

The fact that a '96 AX is being used as a support car speaks volumes about the state of the vehicle needing to be supported.

A superb venture!  I hope there will be an in-depth write-up.

Normally you'd say that someone driving an AX all that way was an absolute hero but doing it alongside that Montego makes them look like a fucking casual.

19 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Normally you'd say that someone driving an AX all that way was an absolute hero but doing it alongside that Montego makes them look like a fucking casual.

@sharley17194 is a dirty casual but he drives it on the absolute limit 😂