Tommy's A-series Misery - Fleet Tinkering

Tommyboy12

52 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Countersunk screws would work better.

"MOT tester: Yeah it nearly passed mate but you've got 2 serious defects for exposed fastenings in your woodwork  and some woodworm in there too. Mechanically  it's fine, but I dont make the rules..."

• Tommyboy12 changed the title to Austin Montego Poverty Estate - MOT passed!

So I have just been out on my proper first drive in it! Ten whole miles!

Two takeaways.

60mph really is about all she's got. I did get to 70mph with my foot buried in the carpet. I think it needs more love from tuning. It was a bit of a fettle to get it through the MOT but it's just not pulling well up top.

The gearbox is best described with the diagram below. Reverse is where reverse should be. Reverse is also where 1st should be. 3rd where 3rd is. 1st is somewhere in between the two. You can go straight down into 2nd from 1st but 3rd to 4th requires you to go slightly left on the gate. 5th is normal. I crunched reverse multiple times getting into 1st and hit 3rd instead of 1st a few times too. Should prove fun...

Screenshot_20210913-173307.png

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

Glorious with extra glory. I should think fettling with the carburettor some more should help with your top speed. Ignition timing could also be something to look at if it hasn't already.

I did have to tweak a bit more advance in for the MOT so I think a tickle more and will help.

11 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

First time pass!  Was there ever any doubt?!

Great work over this whole project!  You’ve done brilliantly from start to finish keeping this oddity alive.

Oh there was plenty of doubt 😂😂

Its not done yet though!