Tommy's A-series Misery - Collection caper!

Tommyboy12

1 hour ago, Lacquer Peel said:

The Montego is a beauty, I hope it's being mended and you can drive it home.

Its being recovered back on Monday. Hopefully... I've ordered wheel bearings and I'm trying to hunt down cv joints. I'm already planning the might Montego road trip part 2 πŸ˜‚

• Tommyboy12 changed the title to Austin Montego Poverty Estate - Lands End to John O' - To be continued!
3 hours ago, Pieman said:

Does that mean the same has happened to the AX??

(Also, have a few posts disappeared from this thread?)

Don't think any posts have disappeared. I think wuvvum is referring to the fact I didn't make FoTU in the Mini because of wheel bearings too! Clearly not a good year for wheel bearings in my fleet πŸ˜‚

It's like the perfect historically accurate documentary of what cars were like back then... Set off on a long journey but the car doesn't make itΒ 

good job getting it that far though, and it's only a wheel bearing, which means the shakedown drive didn't uncover anything else hiding in the shadows

46 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It's like the perfect historically accurate documentary of what cars were like back then... Set off on a long journey but the car doesn't make itΒ 

good job getting it that far though, and it's only a wheel bearing, which means the shakedown drive didn't uncover anything else hiding in the shadows

It might have uncovered a few seals past their best πŸ˜‚

Ax continues to run well, the cv joints are not happy. It's just clocked 100k on the trip and miles wish we will be around 2350 by the time I get home.Β 

Ready for a long earned brake and actually see my long neglected wife.Β 

Massive thanks to Tom on joining me on this insane journey. Great way to see in my 35th birthday on Sun with drinks in Edinburgh.Β 

Stay peeled for part 2 and its also time to give the ax some love. It's no broken but certainly groaning with aging pains.Β 

The main take away is clearly, by French its more reliable....

When i was working for the RAC back in 2018 it was common practice with a long distanceΒ recovery of a low value vehicle to offer to responsibly scrap itΒ and put the occupants into a free hire car for the remainder of their journey.

The cost of the fuel,wages and the loss of recovery trucksΒ versus a cheap hire carΒ saved us a fair few quid.

I can recall a couple of chaps from Stoke whos old Vectra had snapped its cambelt on the M20 on the way to Dover for a ciggy/booze run take me up on this offer.Β 

The Vauxhall was weighed in at a nearby breakers yard and i then dropped them off at Enterprise Maidstone to pick up a Fiesta.

Suprised they didn't try it with you too.

The fallen hero has returned home. Took a while 69 hours to recover (hurr hurr). I'm sure glad I wasn't with it for that journey!

I'm away with work until Thursday but the plan is to pull a wheel bearing to determine which variant it is this weekend. This is the crossover year for different types of bearing plus with it being made of different bits it's probably best to know for certain before I order a pair.

IMG-20211005-WA0022~2.jpg

• Tommyboy12 changed the title to Austin Montego Poverty Estate - The fallen hero is home
1 hour ago, Sham said:

The mission is clear. Minimal repairs, repeat the journey.Β 

Absolutely! I do need to replace the exhaust though. I will post a pic in good time but it's now more coke can than steel on the downpipe.

1 hour ago, sharley17194 said:

trust me....once was enough!

You agreed to a blast to John O'Groats and there's no backing down! πŸ˜‚

16 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Absolutely! I do need to replace the exhaust though. I will post a pic in good time but it's now more coke can than steel on the downpipe.

You agreed to a blast to John O'Groats and there's no backing down! πŸ˜‚

I thought he referred to all of it....ie attempting to go from lands end! I will certainlyΒ do John'o

12 hours ago, Bren said:

Back in the day the cheap montego wheel bearings lasted about as long as six cadbury's creme eggs in our house. I suppose now you have to be grateful for what ever you can get.

I believe the wheel bearing is shared with a number of Rover cars and also the first (S1) Lotus Elise. If that's true, there are good quality bearings available (at a price!) from after market Lotus parts suppliers, such as Eliseparts...

https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/steering-br-suspension-1/68mm-wheel-bearing/