Renault 25, the bank's behind me, Mrs Doblo's behind me, John can sod off!

Dobloseven

Realised I've done over 500 miles in the old thing since July. Had to buy a new battery today. I hadn't used it since last weekend and starter just about turned over. It'd been a bit iffy before and left me stranded a few weeks ago when I used it to pick a trailer up. Picked aYuasa one up from local GSF, 61 quid. 4 year guarantee, which might be a bit optimistic. Bit wary of losing the radio code, so used a leisure battery and jump leads to keep it live while I changed the batteries over. The old one was a Halfords one, pre 2016,so not in the first flush of youth. 

Further to changing the battery, I wasn't very happy with how it fitted in the battery tray. The lip on the bottom was too high to fit under the ledge on the tray, so it was only held down by the clamp on the front edge with the bolt only just long enough. Started to make a metal bracket to hold the back edge down. Checked it against the old battery for size and noticed part of the lip would unclip making it lower and a good fit in the tray. The new battery was the same, in fact I read somewhere that Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa. Now it's nice and secure, so another small victory in my journey to keep it in service and improve it. 

• 1 month later...

Not done anything lately, so thought I'd change the engine oil. Had 10 litres of GSFs finest Drivetec semi synthetic and a Mann canister filter in the boot for weeks. Needs 6.5 litres. Son had lent me his Katsu vacuum oil extractor so thought I'd give it a go. I've got the Korando to do as well,so the Renault would be a Guinea pig. Not too sure really about it. Certainly easier than going under the car, and needing to remove the undertray, but  difficult to be certain all the old oil's out. The old oil wasn't too filthy but not sure when it was last changed,so happier now I've done it. 

• 2 months later...

Blimey, is it really nearly 3 months since I last posted on this thread. All I've done is replace a coolant hose clip that was leaking slightly and fit a new air filter. Make a point of using it at least once a week, don't think it does cars any favours not using them. Have done over 1k miles since last summer. About 4 years use for the previous owner. Had a nice experience today. Been to look at a caravan about 30 miles away with Mrs Doblo and stopped at our local McDonalds on the way home. Sat in the car park, young lad early twenties at the most, comes up and starts asking me about the car. Turns out his brother has a 3 door F reg 19 in the same colour. We swap phone numbers and he's going to send me some pictures. Apparently he's also got a Maxi, a Maestro and a SLK amongst others.It was discussed in another thread about young folk not being interested in old cars, so thats definitely not always the case. 

• 1 month later...

IMG_20220408_164833.thumb.jpg.6aa7db8a818633fff84af0bb96a95dac.jpgNot much happened on the 25 front lately. Use it at least once a week, usually on Friday. Did find out rear seat can do this, though. Load space is 5 1/2 feet long. Trouble is, front seats can't then go all the way back, which isn't ideal if you're tall. OK for moving something big for a short distance though,I suppose. IMG_20220408_171012.thumb.jpg.f553b911a2867b273de9a9d725fa47ae.jpg

• 4 months later...

Passed Mot with no advisories this morning. Though tester popped an exhaust rubber back on out the goodness of his heart. Done about 1400 miles since I bought it a year or so ago. There was a technical hitch with the emissions  machine which held things up a bit. Suggested holding a canary close to the exhaust and if it was conscious after10 seconds, pass it. IMG_20220812_093858.thumb.jpg.2de95e80c360c706e3db55ac671298e7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just after passing its Mot, it disgraced itself. Was out and about in it and noticed black marks inside the drivers side front wheel arch. Split driveshaft gaiter.Checking online didn't reveal any definite part available. Went to a big local spares place. Nothing came up on their system, but suggested measuring the old one and buying a suitable universal stretchy one. I hate doing driveshafts with all that horrible black grease, so forgot about it for a while, having bought the part. Decided to bite the bullet tonight and go for it. After a wire brushing and WD40ing everything came undone easily . Cut the old one off, trouble stretching new one over the cone. The can of lubricant I'd got from previous jobs had dried up so tried some silicone spray for caravan toilet seals, which didnt work as well. Anyway, got it done and car is back in use again. Have used those stretch boots before on the Kangoo and they lasted longer than the original ones. 

• 1 month later...

One of those repairs today that makes it all seem worthwhile. A  couple of weeks ago, we were driving to a pub for a meal, when Mrs Doblo said she could smell burning. Thought nothing of it, but then realised the heater fan wasn't working. Switched it off and carried on. A bit of research revealed the fan was easy to access, the switch, which I suspected, less so, involving removing the steering wheel, instrument panel etc.Parts availability was another concern. Had visions of not being able to replace the French smoke that might have escaped. Thought I'd better have a go at it, as I like to try to sort things as they arise,otherwise the problems mount up and eventually an old car can become a project that's "going to get done up one day". I'd checked the fuse, which was fine,so thought I'd try the fan first. Wipers off, scuttle cover off, plastic fan cover off, revealing a very stiff fan motor. Two screws, a block connector and an earth wire and motor was out. Looked ok, as did the resistors. Blew the dust out, WD40 on the bearings and a lot freer. Couldn't resist spooling it up with the air gun. Drop of oil and refitted it. Result, now works well on all four speeds, whereas previously it was never brilliant, really needing full speed to be much good. Refitted everything and alls good. Total project cost, a few pounds for some batteries for my magnetic lamp. The car gets used at least once a week and the fan is always on, so not sure what had happened, though the PO perhaps didn't use it in the same way. 

• 7 months later...

Can't believe how long since I last posted. Been using it at least once a week unless the weather's really bad. Yesterday was out doing errands when the service light came on, along with a warning light I'd not seen before. Hand book helpfully told me it was one that wasn't used. Seemed to indicate low screeenwash, so poured some water into reservoir and almost immediately overflowed. Seemed a bit odd as I'd used the washers quite a bit as neighbours have had their drives done and a lot of dust has covered everyones cars. Put my finger in the filler hole and there was a plastic gauze filter. Pulled it out, blocked with algae. Managed to pour several litres in, light goes out and all is well. Must have been topping it up, thinking it's full and level has gradually dropped. Suppose i could just leave the filter out, but seems a pity if its been there for 34 years. Cleaned it carefully and put it back in. 

Fired up by the "Living with faults" thread, I decided to tackle the sunroof. For a while now,it's only been able to retract a couple of inches. Worked out a piece of corrugated material stuck to the underside of the roof had come unstuck and dropped down, impeding the roofs movement. By sliding some thin strips of plastic between the sunroof and the corrugated stuff, I could get the roof to slide all the way back. Worked out if I could get some adhesive in the gap between the roof and the "stuff", I could then slide more, thicker, strips to press the two together till it set. Got a tube of" Sticks like Shit "from Screwfix. Put a thin tube over the nozzle, with a ring of tape to show how far to insert it into the roof space to get a bead of sealant in the right place and gave it a go. Been waiting for a decent day where its not too hot or likely to rain, as the roof has to be left open for a while to hold the glued surfaces together. Seemed to work ok, but don't think I got enough glue in one area because it dropped a bit, though not enough to stop the roof. Had another go and hoping it'll work. Difficult to gauge how much glue you're applying as you're working blind. Be nice if I can use the sunroof again as there's no aircon. Looking at the original sales brochure, it was an option on even the top models. Probably wouldn't be working after 34 years anyway! IMG_20230618_144837.thumb.jpg.845afae1515283da1f553ec96008034e.jpgIMG_20230618_131337.thumb.jpg.d37c87ef2200514eb1ac0bf29eacf1eb.jpgIMG_20230618_131541.thumb.jpg.5431e94f84b0df1c8829455339293241.jpg

On 6/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, Dobloseven said:

Fired up by the "Living with faults" thread, I decided to tackle the sunroof. For a while now,it's only been able to retract a couple of inches. Worked out a piece of corrugated material stuck to the underside of the roof had come unstuck and dropped down, impeding the roofs movement. By sliding some thin strips of plastic between the sunroof and the corrugated stuff, I could get the roof to slide all the way back. Worked out if I could get some adhesive in the gap between the roof and the "stuff", I could then slide more, thicker, strips to press the two together till it set. Got a tube of" Sticks like Shit "from Screwfix. Put a thin tube over the nozzle, with a ring of tape to show how far to insert it into the roof space to get a bead of sealant in the right place and gave it a go. Been waiting for a decent day where its not too hot or likely to rain, as the roof has to be left open for a while to hold the glued surfaces together. Seemed to work ok, but don't think I got enough glue in one area because it dropped a bit, though not enough to stop the roof. Had another go and hoping it'll work. Difficult to gauge how much glue you're applying as you're working blind. Be nice if I can use the sunroof again as there's no aircon. Looking at the original sales brochure, it was an option on even the top models. Probably wouldn't be working after 34 years anyway! IMG_20230618_144837.thumb.jpg.845afae1515283da1f553ec96008034e.jpgIMG_20230618_131337.thumb.jpg.d37c87ef2200514eb1ac0bf29eacf1eb.jpgIMG_20230618_131541.thumb.jpg.5431e94f84b0df1c8829455339293241.jpg

Lucky git... I'm still summoning the enthusiasm to extract my washer bottle to extinguish my low screen wash light (no strainer in mine).  

Treat the sunroof with suspicion.  I found the hard way that there are several bits of plastic in the mechanism which have turned a bit brittle with age.  Exactly which ones I don't know yet as that will have to wait until I have the time and patience to get the whole assembly out of the car.  Which is going to have to wait as I've got a Rover with a blown head gasket and a van with brake issues which are proving a hassle to resolve to get it MOTd, so this is a ways down the priority list just now...

• 1 month later...

Mot today. Passed with no advisories. Mind, only done just over 600 miles since last year. A bit sad because found out the old boy who tested it last year has died. Been going to the same place for getting on for 20 years, so get to know people. Good for someone independent to give it a good going over. More than happy to pay the 40 quid. In fact I don't really know how they make much out of it. They reckon because of the area they're in, even a fiver more would mean losing business. 

• 7 months later...

The windscreen washer hasn't been working for a few weeks.Beem putting off having a look but I believe in trying to keep on top of jobs as they occur,so went for it today.Bottle comes out easily,no need to remove wheel arch liner or wheel.full lock gives enough access.Power getting to pump, resistance through pump,but pump seized.Local parts place couldn't source anything off the reg,but said to bring it in and they'd try to match it.Noticed it had a join in it,so nothing to lose by prising it apart.Pump fine but motor very stiff.Soon freed off with GT85,drop of thin oil,then grease where it fits into the pump.Clean the connections up,same with the float switch for the low water level and jobs jobbed.Flushed the bottle out,put it all back,fill it up and all good.IMG_20240405_140435392.jpg.336f1c1b73e8d910b0a39e0185b67f4f.jpg

Next job's replacing a split CV joint gaiter.Did the other side the other year.Have bought the same stretchy boot which seemed ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the split gaiter replaced on Friday.Is there a more hateful job?All that horrid black grease flung everywhere.All went well though.I'd wire brushed and sprayed the suspension nuts a few days previously,with GT85.Those stretch boots amaze me.Got some proper lube for the cone this time.The last time I used it  with some silicone spray,which didn't work well.Anyway,all done now.