Renault 25, the bank's behind me, Mrs Doblo's behind me, John can sod off!

Dobloseven

Well, had a bit more of a play this evening, between showers. Seems to idle better now the fan is keeping the engine temperature down. Also got the boot light working(sticking switch, WD 40).Also tried the heater, demister and heated rear window, all work well. The transmission warning symbol has gone off again. It doesn't seem to affect anything. The handbook says to contact a Renault dealer immediately. There's a new one just opened in Leicester. Thinking of taking it to them and see what they say! Really it's quite a nice old thing. It's quite pleasant to drive, the autobox is very smooth, seems to reach and cruise at 70mph easily enough. Everything seems to work, which I suppose is pretty good for a 32 year old French car, that's done 100k miles. Plan is to gently improve it over the summer, use it as much as I can and then decide on what to do with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20210808_184917.thumb.jpg.24a6908cefcae660850b06aea4d1212a.jpgBeen away for 10 days so the poor things been left on its own. Went to start it,turned the key, nothing... Then I remembered that I'd used the "secret" immobiliser switch the previous owner had fitted! Treated it to 3 new 22"wiper blades from GSF, which cost a whopping £4.40 for the lot, with their current 60% discount.They weren't quite right, but a few minutes with a hacksaw and file plus a squirt of black aerosol had them fitting nicely. It's now coming up to the magic 100k miles. 

On 10/08/2021 at 22:33, Dobloseven said:

It's now coming up to the magic 100k miles. 

Forgive me if I mentioned this before, but many years ago there was a Renault dealer on the way into Huntingdon from the Hinchingbrooke side. We went there a couple of times trying to find a nice Renault 5 for my sister.

On one occasion, amongst the couple of vintage Renaults in the showroom (I think one was pre-war) stood a 25 Monaco (pre-facelift version) and there was a big sign on it. Apparently said 25 had been brought in as a p/x but what the big sign was all about was that it loudly proclaimed said 25 had covered 322,000 miles on its original running gear, needing only consumables - thus indicating what a good buy a Renault is. This'd be, I reckon, the mid-90s.

You've got 196,000 miles to catch my E60 up!

I once had one as a hire car. At the time (late 1980s) I was living in South Wales and was heading to London to pick up some bits for my car. Knowing I'd get stuck in city traffic I booked a mid sized automatic, at the time I knew that Godfrey Davies didn't have that many and true to form was upgraded to a brand new, less than 100 miles on the clock Renault 25. 

It was an absolute delight, wafted along as I played with all the accessories that my own car didn't have.

I had to go around to Ealing, home of the black and white comedy films and at the time F H Douglas the oldest Morgan dealer in the world. I was picking up some second hand parts for my 1939 Morgan (my only car at the time) I think the site they were on would be worth a fortune, but it was a ramshackle collection of sheds, full to the brim with second hand Morgan parts. 

The capacious boot of the Renault easily swallowed the dusty/oily bits. I was considerate enough to have brought an old blanket to put them on.

At the time I thought the Renault was a lovely car, but not for me as it frightened me when I looked under the bonnet. Certainly one of my better hire car upgrades and on a par with me being given a Mercedes instead of a Metro by Hertz (car was booked, hadn't come back in and the Merc was the only thing available)

I think FH Douglas has sadly gone now, pic from Internet 

10310812.jpg

Had a bit of a setback. A fortnight ago I'd been using the Renault for some errands, came in the house and the keys disappeared. It's got 2 sets, separate door and ignition, but only one of the ignition keys has a fob for the infra red remote locking. Of course thats the one that went missing. I'd only just resurrected the remote locking and worked out to point the key at the sensor inside the car, so wasn't very happy. At least the car was still usable with the other set, but would think getting a replacement remote fob wouldn't be easy. We went on holiday the next day, returning last weekend. No sign of the keys. Till last night, when I came in an spotted them on the floor, in front of the piano.I don't believe in dark forces, but we have had various things disappear and turn up much later, having looked everywhere unsuccessfully for them. Still, a happy ending . Was a bit upset they'd survived 32 years and I'd managed to lose them after 5 days though ! Been doing a bit of T Cutting on it as well. The paint is quite rough to the touch on the offside, yet much better on the other. Realised Malcolm the PO, had a work bench with a grinder and pillar drill on that side in his tandem garage and tiny bits of debris are imbedded in the laquer. TCut seems to improve it considerably,but its a slow old job. 

I'd recommend a Tile for your keys. I'm a dozy sod and always loosing the keys. Or leaving them in odd places. You can ping them from an app on your phone. Providing you've not lost your phone too. 

https://uk.tile.com/en/clearance

They're usually £30 but they've a few odd designs on special at the moment. Can also get them in Argos. Would recommend the Tile pro at a minimum as you can replace the batteries in them. The earlier tiles had a longer battery life but weren't replaceable which is just generating e waste 

10 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Had a bit of a setback. A fortnight ago I'd been using the Renault for some errands, came in the house and the keys disappeared. It's got 2 sets, separate door and ignition, but only one of the ignition keys has a fob for the infra red remote locking. Of course thats the one that went missing. I'd only just resurrected the remote locking and worked out to point the key at the sensor inside the car, so wasn't very happy. At least the car was still usable with the other set, but would think getting a replacement remote fob wouldn't be easy. We went on holiday the next day, returning last weekend. No sign of the keys. Till last night, when I came in an spotted them on the floor, in front of the piano.I don't believe in dark forces, but we have had various things disappear and turn up much later, having looked everywhere unsuccessfully for them. Still, a happy ending . Was a bit upset they'd survived 32 years and I'd managed to lose them after 5 days though ! Been doing a bit of T Cutting on it as well. The paint is quite rough to the touch on the offside, yet much better on the other. Realised Malcolm the PO, had a work bench with a grinder and pillar drill on that side in his tandem garage and tiny bits of debris are imbedded in the laquer. TCut seems to improve it considerably,but its a slow old job. 

Worth having a go with a clay bar before using t-cut. Takes all sorts of imperfections and shit out of the paint. 

1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

Ha Ha... Detailing World, why don't ya....

... if you can swipe yerr hand along the side of the car AND still have fingerprints... Done! 🤡

Too late, I'm afraid! Went to H...... s and bought a Megulars clay bar kit. I've turned into a "two bucket wrong 'un". 

It does work, though I did claybar on a budget. The big packs of white blu-tak at the art/hobby supplies store works just as well and for the same volume is way cheaper. Squirt bottle with a rich mixture of dish soap and water. The rest is just time.

25's were always company cars when I was growing up. Very plush compared to our fiesta.

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Bizarrely, you can still see where the step into the garage was in the new photo, despite the fact the house beyond is totally new build. 

The only way you can get into the block is via the north-facing gates around the corner in St. Mary's Yard

Quite enjoying the 25.Drives very nicely, autobox is very agreeable. Keep doing a few bits on it. Haven't finished claying the paint yet. Changed the spark plugs last week, checked the transmission fluid which was a nice pink colour. Can't seem to get the tickover quite right. Seems to vary with the ambient temperature. Too slow and it vibrates when the car is in drive, held on the footbrake. Too fast and the same. Got the cigar lighter socket working. The PO had disconnected it to use the earth terminal for a LED on the dash which I'm guessing is something to do with the towbar electrics which I haven't tested yet because I can't get to my trailer. Planning a repair on the rust at the front wing/sill joint. Need to make a repair section for the base of the wing before I start cutting the rusty metal out though. Have pulled the arch liner away, and there's some corrosion behind it as well. The other side looks much better though, which gives me a guide for making repair sections. Probably have to repair part of the adjacent sill as well, as there's some evidence of filler and welding to a poor standard. 

Spent the morning making a repair section for the bottom of the nearside front wing. Had to take some of the details from the other side as it's gone a well crumbly and bodged up. Pity really, virgin rust is easier to sort. Just steeling myself to get the cutting disc out and get the job moving. Hopefully all the repairs can be kept below the sill line and painted black as original. Repair section for the sill should be pretty easy to fabricate as its mostly flat with straight folds. 

IMG_20210821_172344.jpg

IMG_20210820_171922.jpg

2 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Nice C.A.D.

*No Weetabix were sacrificed in executing this fabrication!

Actually used a cardboard template for fitting an integrated washing machine door to cut up for the shape. But used cereal packets frequently in the past. Haven't done this sort of thing for a long time, so a bit apprehensive,and there's always  worries about how much rust is under the surface. 

Finished the claying of the paint today, between showers. Amazed how much debris has come off. Thought I'd try the cassette player. It's the original Phillips one with steering column remote contol. The radios fine but I wasn't expecting much joy cassette wise after 32 years. First problem was finding a cassette. Eventually dug out a very dusty 2001 Christian music one that had somehow escaped being thrown out. Was very surprised when it worked perfectly.Been getting everything ready for the forthcoming weldathon. Think I've got enough steel sheet, got the welder, which is the same age as the car, set up with. 6mm wire.Got plenty of cutting discs for the angle grinder. WCPGW? 

Got started on the rust this evening. Probably better than I expected. No welding had been done, just filler and bits of aluminium strip. The inner sill doesn't look to bad. Also there's no membrane sill to complicate matters. Nor is there any rust proofing wax to catch fire. Unlike the 1999 Fiesta which I welded new sills on a few years ago. The wing bolts came undone so I can spring the wing away from the body to get better access behind, and the sill rubbing strip came off with a bit of gentle prising as did the wheel arch liner. Will start cleaning the metal up tomorrow and measure up for repair sections. Most of it will be hidden anyway. The sill piece should be pretty easy to make as it's straight lines where it's visible. 

IMG_20210823_200535.jpg

IMG_20210823_200543.jpg

IMG_20210823_203322.jpg

IMG_20210823_203340.jpg

IMG_20210823_204022.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 9:56 PM, Dobloseven said:

Actually used a cardboard template for fitting an integrated washing machine door to cut up for the shape. But used cereal packets frequently in the past. Haven't done this sort of thing for a long time, so a bit apprehensive,and there's always  worries about how much rust is under the surface. 

We don't eat cereal in the house, so I never have access to that sort of cardboard. I ended up buying a roll of really thick wallpaper liner stuff, and it's plyable enough to do bend but not like tissue. It gave me good templates I have to say, and the roll cost like £3 and I still have the bulk of it left, even after all the welding I did.

Might be worth looking in to!

On 8/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, Dobloseven said:

Finished the claying of the paint today, between showers. Amazed how much debris has come off. Thought I'd try the cassette player. It's the original Phillips one with steering column remote contol. The radios fine but I wasn't expecting much joy cassette wise after 32 years. First problem was finding a cassette. Eventually dug out a very dusty 2001 Christian music one that had somehow escaped being thrown out. Was very surprised when it worked perfectly.Been getting everything ready for the forthcoming weldathon. Think I've got enough steel sheet, got the welder, which is the same age as the car, set up with. 6mm wire.Got plenty of cutting discs for the angle grinder. WCPGW? 

I'm not a welding expert but 6mm might be a little overkill for a car. 

Great to see this progressing.  My Dad's friend had an 18 turbo in the eighties and would drive to the South of France at 100mph.  This impressed me very much at the time and I remember he always said the only thing better would be a 25.  Always had a soft spot for them since.

6 hours ago, cort1977 said:

I'm not a welding expert but 6mm might be a little overkill for a car. 

Great to see this progressing.  My Dad's friend had an 18 turbo in the eighties and would drive to the South of France at 100mph.  This impressed me very much at the time and I remember he always said the only thing better would be a 25.  Always had a soft spot for them since.

The decimal point is on the end of the previous line! Am a bit disappointed in the PO. As a retired engineer, his bodge repair was pretty poor,both structurally and cosmetically. It did seem to have been done sometime ago though.The other side, along with the rest of the car seems much better. Have got to the limit of the corrosion tonight and have started making the repair pieces. Will be away with the caravan over the Bank Holiday, so probably won't get much more done for a while. No point in rushing it, think most of us must have been in the situation where you've got to get the car back together for work the next day. I appreciate being able to do a bit and leave a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Back on the case. Doing the bits that'll be hidden at the moment. Don't think Practical Classics will be head hunting me. Welder seems to be ok on disposable gas. Want to get it back on the road ASAP but don't want to cut corners too much. IMG_20210901_204129.thumb.jpg.851cf93765c4de8c8e6774772cb64695.jpgIMG_20210902_200153.thumb.jpg.cb076e280c57492f9a08e5c35ebd4571.jpg

Shit weld is 100% better than good rust.

A bit more done today once the house repairs were done. Got the sill repair piece made. Test fitted, along with the wing repair section and adjusted(smacked with hammer)to get some degree of alignment. Now all clamped up ready for welding. Have ordered a timing belt kit(belt and tensioner) from a local parts place. Should be here on Tuesday, 54 quid, INA branded. IMG_20210904_153050.thumb.jpg.4d105704eceb2610d73a8332a38ed40e.jpgIMG_20210904_153050.thumb.jpg.4d105704eceb2610d73a8332a38ed40e.jpgIMG_20210904_170312.thumb.jpg.0826c9f495357621aa9e8563a9622735.jpg

These are cars I have a massive soft spot for, and absolutely need to have at least a proper shot of one one day.

I very briefly owned an E plate Monaco back around 2003.  However I only got to drive it once, before it was taken down to our local "car guy" for an MOT checkup by my folks - and it never came back.  I only have two photos of it from before I picked the car up from the garage I worked at at the time.  It had come in there as a trade in, and being far older than the stuff we generally dealt with, I got it for scrap value as it saved them needing to deal with the hassle of taking it to the auctions etc.

r25front.jpg.d3f9b6dd8ed19c2e72394168b5c5fed7.jpg

r25intfront.thumb.jpg.c2bac2ee273f164e5975da96441f57ea.jpg

It was condemned due to rust on the rear suspension arms meaning the needed replacement.  A job which given the rest of the car I'd have completed in a heartbeat today - but was completely beyond our capabilities back then.  So I never saw it again.

The most comfortable car I have EVER been in, and that's including several Rollers, Jags and Bentleys - the XJ-S comes close, but it's still not there.  The stereo was absolutely epic too.  I think this was probably the first time I really encountered the experience of feeling music as much as hearing it.  Heck my stereo in the house didn't have a graphic equaliser on it back then, the one in the car did!

If I came across a pre-facelift Monaco in decent shape for sale at a decent price I would have a VERY, VERY hard time saying no.  Even though I know that given how horrendous I imagine the spares situation is these days and that they weren't exactly known for being robust in the electronic department when they were new that it would be a horrible idea for a car I'd be using regularly.

Have you found the door bins under the arm rests yet?

The 25 was a fantastic example I feel of Renault doing what French car makers were always best at - making cars which were so comfortable that they felt like they could whisk you across whole continents in the blink of an eye.

We definitely need a photo from this in the dash at night thread...I was driving a D plate Metro at the time, so this really did feel like the starship Enterprise at night with how many things lit up on the dash!