Renault 25, the bank's behind me, Mrs Doblo's behind me, John can sod off!

Dobloseven

Well it's all home after a very quick collection. Not worth doing a thread for about 4 miles!It's very much as I expected. Haven't owned an old auto for many years, test driven a few modern ones and been impressed. Seems quite a good 'box, with smooth changes, mind I think it's only got 3 cogs. It's a bit dusty, hasn't been used for 6 months, apart from Mot this week, and had very little recent use, somtimes only going for test each year. Will gently ease it into use,but all looks good so far. Going to give it a wash and brush up and take some better photos as it was difficult at his place. Managed to get classic insurance with Lancaster for 119 quid, 3000 miles, 100 excess and £1200 value. Takes the edge off the £280 tax a bit! 

For a bag thats a grand piece :)

... Pls don't break >>> kindda 'explore the foibles' and trickle neat fixes....

We want to hear all about it & OFTEN ;)

FWIW Poondies 'white spray grease' sure wizzes up creaky power roofs (..and latches, straps, hinges).

14 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I love old Renaults. That Velour sure looks comfortable, bet it's a nice place to sit. 

Also, you lot here are blessed in the UK with motor tax rates. The older motor tax rate in the Ireland would have that at €710 per annum until it turns 30 years old. And then it's €80. 

That's 32 years old next month so all good. It's just under 2 litres, would that help? 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Just done my first mend! Owner advised me not to touch the electric sunroof, as he'd never used it. Red rag to a bull, it opened easily enough but wouldn't close all the way and was very creaky. A lot of WD40 and gentle coaxing backwards and forwards and it now works. Done the door hinges and straps as well. Silicon spray would no doubt be better but it's in the caravan so needs must. Heres some better pics, pre valet. 

IMG_20210724_172337.jpg

IMG_20210724_172327.jpg

IMG_20210724_172317.jpg

IMG_20210724_172301.jpg

Envious.

1 minute ago, Dobloseven said:

Didn't you used to be able to run big SUVs like Discos and Landcruisers as vans with no rear seats and blanked out windows and pay less tax? As usual happy to be corrected. 

Correct. That's right. For a long time he ran a Defender 200tdi as a commercial as it was €252 a year to tax vs 1100€ for private car tax. 

The same also applied to crew cabs. They kinda cracked down on that and started asking for VAT numbers, tax numbers etc to prove you were a "legitimate" business. Motor tax in Ireland is one of the things I don't miss one bit. Or the cost of car insurance. But that's a thread for a different day. 

I genuinely, actually, hate you for having this. You will never, ever see a cooler dashboard than that of the Renault 25.

Have you inspected the ATF cooler? I think it's located in front of one of the wheels. Look for stains, and always look for stains here. As if you don't the gearbox is toast.

Look after it, it's a good egg! 

This was the owners brothers company car for the first three years of its life, so perhaps that dreadful 80s TV advertising campaign did some good after all. It does seem to be a nice old thing without many issues so far, touch wood. Going to give it a good clean tomorrow hopefully and perhaps take my lady wife for a drive to a country pub later. Theres also an evening car meet on Monday evening, at a local farm attraction so might pop up with it. 

4 hours ago, Spurious said:

Correct. That's right. For a long time he ran a Defender 200tdi as a commercial as it was €252 a year to tax vs 1100€ for private car tax. 

The same also applied to crew cabs. They kinda cracked down on that and started asking for VAT numbers, tax numbers etc to prove you were a "legitimate" business. Motor tax in Ireland is one of the things I don't miss one bit. Or the cost of car insurance. But that's a thread for a different day. 

If memory serves, we used to be able to do this in England too - I remember a mate's Dad putting seats in the back of a Mini van in around 1980? I think - but I could be wrong - this is why the "PLG" classification appeared, to close this loophole.

I think, ultimately, I prefer the pre-facelift 25s but I love them all really - probably one of Renault's best cars. The stereo with the fingertip remote and the huge graphic equaliser was something else...

7 hours ago, Broadsword said:

What a car!! Ever since we had a R21 Savanna in the family many, many years ago, I've been in awe of Renaults of this period. Very well done for saving this one!

Now in the late 80s/early 90s,my dream car was a Savannah. We needed a 7 seater and I think they were the cheapest on the market. Way, way beyond my means though. 20 years later, I'd have just had one on a 5 year interest free or something, but we had to make do with an ancient Peugeot 504 Family estate. The Renault actually reminds me very much of that. Same colour, electric sunroof, 3 speed auto, big soft seats, slanting engine, twin choke carb....... 

11 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

There's some silly bits they've not thought through though. You can't open the ashtray which has the 12v socket/lighter in it with the gear lever in park. It is a retro treat fest though. 

I can't use the two cupholders unless my Auto stick is all the way back [low] :(

what an absolute corker, it is.....

7 minutes ago, mcmolloy1 said:

Nice car and pretty cheap. That's a ph2 which should have a 4-speed ar4 autobox. As has been said already, check the condition of the cooler behind the bumper just under the battery. As well as leaking I think it also has a fan that can seize up.

I'm currently in the process of taking the gearbox out of a phase 1 

I though that, but stick only has D, 2 and 1 positions, so according to the book it's a 3 speed. Bit disconcerting when it's doing just over 60mph at 3k revs. Suppose I'm used to diesels though.Sons friend who has a Mk 2 Golf gti which is only 2 years younger has just had a look and I don't think he could believe the seats, the dash and all the storage spaces. 

Ah ok, some of the early ph2 had the older 2.2 engine from the ph1 gtx just to use up stock, so maybe they did the same with the gearbox.

If it's a 3 speed it has a different setup for the oil cooler. It will have a heat exchanger unit at the back of the engine. Sometimes the coolant can seep into the gear oil which is what happened mine. Check the colour of the oil on the dipstick