Not a collection, a repatriation of man and machine.

Sir Chocolate Teapot

On 7/21/2021 at 7:14 AM, lesapandre said:

Be interested in hearing your experience at Calais - I need to go to France & back sometime but have been delaying given the ongoing situation.

You are supposed to have a pre-Covid test before coming back into UK I think -a PCR suffices I think...and 2-tests, pre-booked before arrival, to be taken once home (this only applies to arrivals from France but even those transiting through) + quarantine, given Covid rate there.

Best check here for latest:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=b32de9be-9620-4a14-8f2e-7bb768f80d6b&utm_content=immediately

If you are delayed and travelling P&O I have found them pretty kind about delays and missing a booked crossing - particularly now given the problems. Just give them a call in advance.

I take my 83' Landcruiser abroad - that's noisy too - but you soon get into the rhythm of the thing - the high driving position is a compensation.

It looks like another v. hot day.

Very best of luck there Sir Teapot.

Journey check point summary.

No checks on road / at borders of Italy, Switzerland or France.

At ferry check in dfds staff check paperwork , pre-booked uk covid test present plus covid check done within previous 72 hrs of departure.

In queue for ferry customs dogs doing checks and random searches of cars, no paperwork checks.

At Dover no checks at all, drive straight off and away you go. I was a bit surprised considering I was fully loaded with  guitars and amps etc.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, sutty2006 said:

It must be something about brits heading from Italy to uk. We had one over night stop between Rimini and Dunkirque and that was Mulhouse? Some nautical themed town so far from the sea you’d think you would never see it again. Horrible Formula 1 hotel…… even worse selection of places to eat. No one spoke English. Was glad to leave the next morning. Glad you’re getting on with it! 

I always stop at Mulhouse on the way to Italy!

Hotel Bristol is great if you’re happy to pay about £70 for a room.  Includes gated car park and brekkie.

The Schlumpf Collection is there.  AKA the French National Motor Museum which included the worlds largest collection of Bugatti plus endless chod.  Huge place and well worth a walk around.   The French National Railway Museum is also there and again well worth a visit.

I agree about the lack of English speakers but it’s not a touristy area.  It’s basically home to Peugeot Citroen’s biggest factory and that’s about it from what I can tell.  

Finding an English speaker would be equivalent to finding a French speaker in Birmingham I guess.

• 2 months later...

A surprising faster update than expected.

Arrived in the post today.

IMG_20211021_112302.thumb.jpg.f138892be4124c5a54ab497966a85e15.jpg

V5 arrived sooner than expected.

Only issue now is the mess of my life and what has happened since applying for v5 !

Let us just say i wish i had left it in italy. And i do not fancy driving it back.

This will probably be for sale on 20/7/2022.

1 hour ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

A surprising faster update than expected.

Arrived in the post today.

IMG_20211021_112302.thumb.jpg.f138892be4124c5a54ab497966a85e15.jpg

V5 arrived sooner than expected.

Only issue now is the mess of my life and what has happened since applying for v5 !

Let us just say i wish i had left it in italy. And i do not fancy driving it back.

This will probably be for sale on 20/7/2022.

Sorry to hear things have not gone to plan on the life side of things, but I hope things improve there and you do not have to end up selling the SJ!

(im pleased to see you where able to get the V5 in the end :))

• 6 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

8 years ago I injected about 4kg of cavity wax. Thinking of getting the linoguard kit to re do chassis for UK.

Sorry to hear about your current state of affairs and that you may have to sell the SJ. It looks a cracking example and I'm sure is one of the cleanest SJs remaining on our shores. You've clearly got your reasons so if you do sell, get it gleaming and go for gold with the price. It would be a shame for it to end up being yet another green laner. 

Lanoguard is a good shout for protecting the underside - I'm getting my MR2 done this summer after delaying for too long already. Minimal prep required aside from wire wheel on any loose surface crusty bits and decent jet wash a few days beforehand. The more I read up on the stuff, the more I like the sound of it. 

Good luck with things. There are plenty of us on here who are happy to lend an ear if needed. 

1 hour ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Spot the difference.

IMG_20220426_165648.thumb.jpg.35ec0dc17c3f79eac2c7af1622bcbfb8.jpg

IMG_20220426_190917.thumb.jpg.72a827c60d39caec9682a90569504abc.jpg

Finally got off my back side and made a decision.

New plates from halfords £32.50. made while you wait. 10 mins. Impressed.

Maybe this weekend insurance and tax for 1st May 

No cloning my plate please .

You bough a drip tray too?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...