E Class Merc

Dobloseven

How would you expert shiters value this? On our road is a 56 reg E class saloon. Seems to be a 280 diesel V6 auto of the Elegance persuasion. It's been abandoned in the front garden for some time,and gets fairy lights stuck on it at Christmas. A rear quarterlight has been smashed and taped up and most of the tyres flat.The Mot expired in December. Mot history reveals about 120k miles, various failures and advisories over the years but nothing catastrophic. Tonight I saw someone with jump leads going into the boot pumping the tyres up. Had a word, said it was to be sold and had been taken off the road due to an oil leak. There did seem to be a big stain on the driveway underneath. He started the engine and seems to sound ok. He'd obviously just put some oil in. Couldn't see anything dripping.Put the number and mileage into WBAC a few weeks ago and came up with about 1500.But surely that would be assuming no defects and would soon be reduced. Another fellow came out who knew a bit more about it.I enquired about price, he thought 1800! A lady came out and asked me what my offer would be. I said about 350,and that it would be worth 1800 if it was all good, but how much would it cost to get it to that state? Fellow then says a car buyer had offered 1100 for it as it was. I said that sounded good and he'd do well to take it. Didn't sound too convincing though! The boot lid won't latch and has to be held down by a weight or tape (velcro?) 

Other than that it's filthy inside, and faded on the outside, but would clean up well, I think. Quite fancy another project. 

£350 would be a reasonable price with no test drive, no history, no.MOT and lots of risk. It might have HGF, some intermittent issues with the electrics, the gearbox electronics might be fucked or develop issues when the gearbox oil gets hot. T

£1200 to £1800, with MOT,  and proof that every thing works, with no oil leak. Decemt tyres. Clean tidy..

I'd keep my offer low. 

Well, I'm quite surprised. It'd gone at 10 this morning. Was going to knock door and say 350 would be my offer and that's it and appreciate they might want more. My only interest was as a project,to buy as cheaply as possible, and get as good as possible for as little as possible. I wouldn't dream of spending, say 1800 pounds on a "good one", that would probably "just need a regas M9" anyway.That's not my thing at all. Do think it'll soon be back on the road though.

While I have a soft spot for Mercs, at this age, with potential oil leak, turbo issues, maybe a senile auto box dissolving wiring looms, brakes, suspension and tyres sure to be on the shopping list, my offer would have been scrap value  less my trouble.  It's sure to break for more, but who wants the hassle?

2 hours ago, goosey said:

Didn’t this era of E class have SBC brakes, which are a whole other world of pain ? 

Up to June 2006, yep. The later ones are easiest to identify by the mirrors, they're mounted on arms where earlier cars with SBC have flush mounted mirrors. Mine is 56 reg but hasn't got SBC