Shite Old Road Signs

busmansholiday

Here's  a few I've spotted over time:

Spotted in Selly Oak/Harborne border. Now since gone:

867102912_SellyOak-Harbornepre-worboyssign(21).thumb.jpg.366a777358f65e34b1b65823a3aa08c7.jpg

Spotted in Harborne, not sure if its still there but certainly from around the 50s/60s maybe earlier given the language used:

953750634_Harborne(178).thumb.jpg.59cd2114735758af4171c9d2f4bd5acb.jpg

A non-motoring sign spotted in Bewdley but still old and interesting nonetheless.

20151220_112639.thumb.jpg.9e6088b6d08e5c2574a4ec4548503e7b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.4b37a3b3a54cd34411c86954c91fff20.png

Chinley, High Peaks. This has been recently repainted by the council. Nice to see the modern nature reserve sign added to it much later is in the same style.

There's some obscure law about things in an area of historic interest/beauty or somesuch having to be in keeping - hence the skinny yellow line. My mate pointed the lines out to me in the Yorkshire Dales years ago 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, bunglebus said:

There's some obscure law about things in an area of historic interest/beauty or somesuch having to be in keeping - hence the skinny yellow line. My mate pointed the lines out to me in the Yorkshire Dales years ago 

Hell to pay if they don't! 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/weald/news/garish-yellow-lines-ruining-our-prettiest-streets-251929/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, Garythesnail said:

I know there's going to be similarities in language but to find that the Welsh words eglwys fechan relates directly to Ecclesfechan has made me a smile.

Fun fact:

The place name Ecclefechan is Welsh in origin and Lockerbie is of Norse origin. 

• 1 month later...

Ancient signs on the M3 where it meets ye olde M25.  You can hardly read it and drivers are always making last minute lane swerve manoeuvres.  Funny thing is there's roadworks around here every night.  Bizarre that no one has ever thought to splash out a couple of quid on some new lettering.  I bet there's some sort of M3 vs M25 budget vagueness.

M25 (1).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, Garythesnail said:

I know there's going to be similarities in language but to find that the Welsh words eglwys fechan relates directly to Ecclesfechan has made me a smile.

Of course Welsh was the main language for much of what is now England and central Scotland for quite a long time, hence the Strathclyde (Welsh) Kingdom of north-west England and South West Scotland in the early medieval period (after the Romans buggered off).

6 hours ago, warch said:

Of course Welsh was the main language for much of what is now England and central Scotland for quite a long time, hence the Strathclyde (Welsh) Kingdom of north-west England and South West Scotland in the early medieval period (after the Romans buggered off).

Welsh, or Brittonic/Brythonic as it was back the days of the Ancient Britons. Some reckon Pictish in the north of (what is now) Scotland was much the same thing too.

15 minutes ago, Alusilber said:

Welsh, or Brittonic/Brythonic as it was back the days of the Ancient Britons. Some reckon Pictish in the north of (what is now) Scotland was much the same thing too.

Welsh being an exonymic term for the Brythonic god bothering people of the British Isles coins by pagan settlers from Northern Europe. I kind of love how history refuses to play ball for various modern day nationalist movements due to cultural reach. 

• 4 weeks later...

As you can obseve, my daughter is now too old for a perambulator, and I am fortunately too young to require an invalid carriage.  But we were heartened to find that those fiendish horseless carriages would not irk us whilst traversing this narrow thoroughfare in Sheringham, Norfolk.

92DBFE0A-7570-4F6C-AD2E-74990E54CFFB.thumb.jpeg.1c485df97344e5105be86d6733df59cd.jpeg

• 10 months later...