Shite Old Road Signs

busmansholiday

1 hour ago, warch said:

I love this site sometimes, there I was, innocently ignorant of the wonderful and varied world of road signs, now I'm well versed in the work of the Worboys Committee. It's fun and educational!

My wife did have questions when she caught me looking at some old signs on Google images though...

Ha Ha..... Aye, that feller STILL hasn't got his umbrella up!

;)

2021715_201813729.jpg

Db4ZOYUX4AA13bU.thumb.jpeg.017904d3fd03483c29f7c6ec0029d2f7.jpeg

pinched from @dollywobbler :) https://autoshite.com/topic/29975-dollywobblers-invacar-ongoing/page/83/?tab=comments#comment-1490514

(if it was not for the Modern plastic number plates and 1990's rear lights you could otherwise probably genuinely convince someone this photo was taken 50 years ago!)

On 16/07/2021 at 01:28, LightBulbFun said:

pinched from @dollywobbler :) https://autoshite.com/topic/29975-dollywobblers-invacar-ongoing/page/83/?tab=comments#comment-1490514

(if it was not for the Modern plastic number plates and 1990's rear lights you could otherwise probably genuinely convince someone this photo was taken 50 years ago!)

i think those light units are from way before the '90s and since when is a plastic number plate modern?

18 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i think those light units are from way before the '90s and since when is a plastic number plate modern?

from what I have researched, the Britax 9021/Rubbolite M88 rear lights where first introduced in the 1980's on the Mini pickup, and then only installed on the Model 70 from the early 1990's when supplies of the Model 70's original rear lights ran out

and the style of laminated plastic number plate that TWC is wearing is a much more modern plate, from the early 1990's or so

when new TWC would of worn white on black pressed metal plates by Tippers :) 

Just had to dig out my old phone to find some photos which I knew I had taken...

Oldest first, location can easily be extrapolated. Suspect it's considerably pre-motor car, but still interesting

20190113_111651.thumb.jpg.f7b047329b6c1648111d93474712d63a.jpg

This one is in Blackheath, I think. There are a few of these dotted round London, a miracle really considering how much development work has gone on since this was erected - I'd guess Edwardian or early 1920s?

20190223_151423.thumb.jpg.70ad9f252d759af2d6bc100d21056be0.jpg

This curiosity is in Beaconsfield, in a road of large 1920s houses. I would hazard a guess that it's a bit later than that, but clearly very old. Not something I've ever seen before and I was quite taken by it

20190717_113513.thumb.jpg.d97830a9b6748f2437117fcc627500ae.jpg

On 16/07/2021 at 01:28, LightBulbFun said:

Except how would the disabled guy climb up the steep bank to take the photo, what with his gammy leg full of WW2 shrapnel?

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Passenger? :D 

154887073_3644848122294862_4142647224464367691_o.jpg

Spooky.  That boy was me!  (Well, not quite but nearly).  My uncle Bobby would give me lifts in his Invacar in the eighties.  Not Paisley but Toryglen, Glasgow.   He still had it well into the late 1980's because he learned from his mates down the bowling club that if he took it to the depot in Shettleston (?) for repair they'd never give it back again.  So he refused to take it there.  At least that's what he said.  

47 minutes ago, Alan_Green said:

Spooky.  That boy was me!  (Well, not quite but nearly).  My uncle Bobby would give me lifts in his Invacar in the eighties.  Not Paisley but Toryglen, Glasgow.   He still had it well into the late 1980's because he learned from his mates down the bowling club that if he took it to the depot in Shettleston (?) for repair they'd never give it back again.  So he refused to take it there.  At least that's what he said.  

hah thats cool :) I have heard/read lots of stories of people hitching rides as kids in relatives Invacars! never mind the passenger carrying is forbidden plaque right on the dashboard!

the Depot would of either likely been an Approved repairer or an Artificial limb and appliance centre for what thats worth :)

36 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

You sure, ? (you probably are), but my dad's Mk Ii 'tina in 1970 had yellow / white reflective plates.

pretty positive! :) DHSS Invalid vehicles where some of the last vehicles outside of London Transport buses to make the move to retroreflective plates

they stayed on white on black pressed metal plates until January 1st 1973 when the law mandated they move to retroreflective plates, our current thinking is that white on black plates where a little cheaper and when your ordering 200 or 400 plates at a time the costs do add up!

which is also why they where all pressed plates and none of this fancy pansy raised plastic digit nonsense! 

(if you think about the DHSS as a bus company/operator and the Model 70 as single seater buses then a lot of things they did and how the operated suddenly make sense, because they where in-effect one giant fleet operation)

here are examples of L Suffix Invacar  and AC  Model 70's both on white on black plates :) 

VOO623L

image.png

MPL273L

Emx6tq-WEAEmND9.jpeg

anyways I feel im going to get shouted at

so to keep this on topic have a link to the Know your traffic signs PDF which not only contains a couple pictures of shite old signs but also goes into a bit of history :) 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf

This came from (what was) my MOT station. My Dad found it folded up in the bin when they were selling up. They said we could have it, because they had found a nicer one with the company name on (Peters Garage). 

It's had a lick of paint or two but it's staying the way it is. It now resides in the garage.

367188760_DSC_1624small.thumb.jpg.e2f2a2405dcc464062164c61e0a4514a.jpg

17 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Is that last one 60's? Back in pre-graphite days when dogs could really get high on pencils?

xcsNkCR.jpg

The lead in their diet was to slow the dogs down and make them sluggish so they wouldn't run about and shit all over the place.  The dogs often became constipated and their less-frequent poops were very heavy, but kids in the 1930s used to scoop them up and weigh them in for scrap, often making a decent price. 

After WW2 the Dogs' Rights Activists successfully petitioned for lead-free dogs on dogs' health grounds.  So you could have a lead-free dog on a lead.

Scrapyard owners no longer heard the question 'How much for half a sack of dog-poop Mister?', but the dogs were happier.  And faster.  Changed days, it was the end of the era of dark grey dog-poop and the start of modern fully bio-degradable light-grey and white dog-poop which emerged (literally) from about 1953 onwards.

This information brought to you from the Autoshite History Files of fascination.

11 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

That’s a very convoluted way to say “No Exit”

nooutlet.jpg.b041b42b721097edcee463addc367539.jpg

Common sign to see here. It's usually at the entrance to a network of smaller roads, like a housing estate, whereby you may have a loop of road once you enter the network but there's no other way out 

For instance the road goes ---O---| you'd have the no outlet sign at the entrance, and a DEAD END sign on the spur off the loop.

UK only seems to really bother with a dead end sign; whereas over here is much more common for there to be multiple entrances and exits to a set of streets. It's usually used as a warning to articulated vehicles.

28 minutes ago, PhilA said:

nooutlet.jpg.b041b42b721097edcee463addc367539.jpg

Common sign to see here. It's usually at the entrance to a network of smaller roads, like a housing estate, whereby you may have a loop of road once you enter the network but there's no other way out 

For instance the road goes ---O---| you'd have the no outlet sign at the entrance, and a DEAD END sign on the spur off the loop.

UK only seems to really bother with a dead end sign; whereas over here is much more common for there to be multiple entrances and exits to a set of streets. It's usually used as a warning to articulated vehicles.

That’s very similar to the way we do things in Australia, except we use the term NO THROUGH ROAD.

image.jpeg.5aa8b3342bc07e7eccc0003fece911c4.jpeg

4 hours ago, PhilA said:

UK only seems to really bother with a dead end sign

Strictly speaking the UK doesn't have a dead end sign as there's often an exit for pedestrians or bicycles. This phun phact was drummed into me prior to my driving test - if the sign turned up, by random selection, you should say it stands for 'no through road'.

Years later the Highway Code still calls it that, so my time wasn't wasted.

image.png.a722f5d63f133afecf5d2c6df7aabfc2.png

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/58170307ed915d61c5000000/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

(and it didn't turn up in the test)

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.522e10fa91ccf9b5d5b44bb632e26d59.png

image.thumb.png.d1253422fe5adeefad05718acd4c1854.png

The Star Inn North Dalton, a rather faded AA sign from I would guess the 1920's. It has distances to Driffield, Middleton on the Wolds and that there London (200 miles), only Driffield is in the the direction you would be travelling when seeing this sign! It also says 'Safety First', modern day nanny state, eh?

image.thumb.png.cd51c0053c7e9afb67160fb023feb9eb.png

image.thumb.png.df2350215c5930c53a6a5302bfbf585c.png

Garton-on-the Wolds, further north than North Dalton, but 2 miles closer to that London.

• 2 weeks later...