Grumblespeed - Breaking Brakes

Grumblespeed

2 hours ago, loserone said:

Don't even do that, just surprise them when they can't keep up on the twisties

Well to be fair with the noise it's making whenever I turn the wheel I'm going to be pretty ginger on any twisties atm. Thinking more of showing the GTi badge then driving like I've got nothing to prove... or something.

26 minutes ago, loserone said:

That.. doesn't sound good.  Did it get worse on the way down? 

Was already pretty bad when I stopped at Stanhope, don't know about before that because I was concentrating more on the feeling the wheels were about to fall off!! By the petrol stop I was thinking "OMG I've made a catastrophic mistake here - it's not going to get me home!" Wheel nuts tightened up it was a bit more reassuring but it was a pretty stressful drive after that - particularly the weather the way it was. Assuming it's that top mount but I'll get a look when I'm swapping the wheels over. Just does that "clong clong" like the spring's resettling itself constantly as it turns. Top mount must be completely seized if that's what it is. Mind, looks like the roads round you probably aren't easy on suspension bits.

22 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That slightly springy-boingy-cloingy noise can also happen if you have a broken roadspring.  Heard it many times before.

Yep, same here - wife ran an Octavia for years, springs are basically a service item. I'd think the same but as above @loserone says he had it up for a look when he was swapping the wheels and couldn't see any issues with the spring.

3 hours ago, loserone said:

Not saying I'm not blind!

No, you're right enough, found it and it's not as alarming as it sounds - one of those nice new drop links has failed. Bottom ball joint is obviously bone dry and it's juddering across every time you turn the wheel - springy noise is because it's reverberating on the ARB. Much nicer job than having to start stripping down struts anyway and I'm hoping if it's fairly new it might come off reasonably easily. Only major moment of swearage is because I realised that last time I tidied up the shed I literally threw away a brand new pair of 206 drop links I never got round to fitting to the last one. I wasn't on here yet and didn't know anyone with a Pug and just thought "what's the chances of ever needing those again?" That'll teach me! About the only parts I still had!

10 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

I do like that colour, and the shortage of doors, and the wheels although they look a bugger to clean so much better on someone else's car.

Even more of a bugger when there's discs all round.

When I fished them out the shed yesterday they got a quick wash first with soapy water. Guess which were on the front with discs and the rear with drums:

20210713_153232.thumb.jpg.707ffdbd1e42da08d1fd5ff9fdf7ff1b.jpg

To be fair, less of a bugger to clean than these:

20200508_185439.thumb.jpg.66634ce51e8627a98983832cdc7b92ac.jpg

• Grumblespeed changed the title to Grumblespeed's "debadged" (harumph) GTi - massive job done!

Well, it's been out at least. Done my weekly mileage to Tesco and back, unleashed all the overtaking POWERRRR sweeping past a guy on a bike. No major issues. The aircon must have been trying because it was dripping on my foot and it did make it below ambient, but not really keeping up today. Still better than the wife's C30 can manage though. Otherwise all quiet. Awaiting delivery of a new battery tyre compressor after the old one gave up the ghost after restoring full pressure to 3 of the 4 tyres that have been stashed in a shed since 2012. All still holding about 20psi after 9 years which is considerably better than the front drivers side on my Panda can manage after a fortnight. Might be on the puncture spectrum.

• Grumblespeed changed the title to Grumblespeed's "debadged" (harumph) GTi - just bumbling about.
1 minute ago, loserone said:

The AC was always pretty good to me.  The last year of fuck all miles has obviously not been kind to it

Making some alarming wheezy noises when you first fire it up, but to be fair the last couple of days have been a pretty tough workout for an ageing aircon.