Triumph Sixfire - Mother Rustia

RichardK

7 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Today I learned the transmission cover is sort of fibreboard stuff, not metal.

Also it's unobtainable, so please look after the original!

When the carpet is back over it, no-one will notice the odd nibble mark...

Looks like the car has overdrive as well, which is good!

Just now, Mrs6C said:

Also it's unobtainable, so please look after the original!

When the carpet is back over it, no-one will notice the odd nibble mark...

Everything removed is being kept as carefully as possible once hoovered/cleaned/degunked, even the ratty bits of carpet!

Amazed it’s not available as a replacement - it seems like the sort of thing that could have a mould made up relatively easily to create a fibreglass/composite panel from!

The nibbles surprised me - also it wasn’t attached, it moved when I lifted the carpet out - but it’s more the huge nest of fluff and acorn shells that descended. Wildlife loved this car very much, I’m picturing like the Rats of NIMH all fleeing when it started to get moved…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-GT6-SAP-PLASTIC-MOULDED-GEARBOX-TUNNEL-PART-NO-709862SAP-/373423202154?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

There are non-fibreboard ones at least 

It has an overdrive switch, so I figured it would have overdrive but hadn’t actually checked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It certainly looks like you have your hands full there. Would a fiberglass bonnet be easier to sort out and, as your existing arches are plastic, just glass the arches in? Would take care of the rust. 

31 minutes ago, 2flags said:

It certainly looks like you have your hands full there. Would a fiberglass bonnet be easier to sort out and, as your existing arches are plastic, just glass the arches in? Would take care of the rust. 

I wouldn't go for fibreglass as a final destination - where I'd like to end up quality of finish is very important. But if I now get the running gear running and a better idea of the tub, electrics and everything else, a cheap fibreglass one would be a stopgap "cover for the engine".

However, when I have time I'll start stripping the bonnet to get an idea of which repair panels could be used. At the moment only the top of it looks usable, but fabricating repairs to the tubs and sandwiching some Mk 1 Golf steel arches in would add a lot of strength back. The worst aspect is the grille support and box sections carrying the indicators etc.

The rear arches are probably going to be the tougher job - the inners are gone all around the edge, and thick, heavy filler all the way around. But again those Mk 1 Golf curves will help bring some shape back in, though... perhaps less of the organic bubble shape they currently have. Those did pass a magnet test so when I strip those perhaps there will be a nice surprise and the filler is just for the missing inners!

• 10 months later...