Finally got camping shite

fraser.innes.3

After winning and getting letdown buying large American motorhomes, I decided to buy British.

It's a Bedford CF1 facelift of 1983 vintage, with the 2.3 vauxhall slant petrol engine in it.

Not had an MOT for a couple of years, but previous ones don't look too bad.

Being delivered to the workshop next Tuesday.

Enjoye2c0bc0c89b76d089705b65eafdf0fcb.jpg

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

If it's been parked on grass for a while just have a good prod about the chassis , they really don't like being parked on grass
It will be going up on a lift as soon as it can. Luckily, one of the other units is full of welding guru's. Not to worried about removing the back to get to the chassis, as after this summer in ripping out the internals, and making it a 2 person camper, with a proper bedroom in the back, which means closing up back door, and putting a side door in. Plans for the future

Well, she's here. Rougher than a badgers arse! Starts fine, but spits back through the carb when revved. Full service kit ordered. Luckily my mechanic mate grew up on these engines, so he's going to give it a tune on Friday.
A quick look underneath shows metal, but unfortunately not much of the wood on top remains not rotten, but I knew this when I bought her.
On a plus, she was registered in 82, not 83, so one year less to free tax. Mind you, she will probably still be off the road in 2030, at my rate!
119b425e82df294586059f3a6f10d794.jpg

I've had one, but with Autosleeper body.

Went quite well but leaned alarmingly on 'too fast' bends.

Used to mark its patch well.

Every time you opened a cab door, rust fell on you in big lumps.  There was water above the cab roof.

Welding it up next to fibreglass was 'interesting'.

My Autosleeper bit was pristine.

I was tempted to lift the back off and fit it to something else, but it seemed too much trouble.

if she is going to live in that workshop you are laughing, table saw, jigsaw, pillar drill and a good set of carpentry hand tools, it is all half butt joints, 2" by 1" treated timber for framing, 3mm ply for panelling. sounds easy, if your undercover with mains power and water it is
The woodworking tools will be moving from my garage to here.

I knew of a CF years ago owned by a local mechanic - he shoehorned a 5.0 from a cheverolet in it. I don't think it would have been much worse than the slant 4 on fuel.
I think this is destined to get a 2.5l from an E46. My mate drifts them, and knows a man who can delete the immobiliser from the ECU making it an easier swap. 190bhp should make it move a bit better. Also in contact with an Aussie, who does a decent front disk conversation.
All off the shocks are fucked. When you step into the back, it bounces like there's an orgy taking place in there.

What, no cab pics?  The red on black grid graphics on the dash made it delightfully 80s looking I thought.

Looks like it will be a fun project.  Have never driven a CF, would really like to try one someday though.  All the folks I knew with vans in the past had either Mercs or Renaults.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

What, no cab pics?  The red on black grid graphics on the dash made it delightfully 80s looking I thought.

Looks like it will be a fun project.  Have never driven a CF, would really like to try one someday though.  All the folks I knew with vans in the past had either Mercs or Renaults.

You've missed out!  A petrol CF is a pleasure.  Seats may not be quite as good as the contemporary Transit, and like every van from the period, have been totally surpassed by modern van seats, but in other ways, I could never understand how the Transit outsold the CF at the time.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, fraser.innes.3 said:

Also in contact with an Aussie, who does a decent front disk conversation.
All off the shocks are fucked. When you step into the back, it bounces like there's an orgy taking place in there.emoji23.png

decent brakes are a must imo, couldnt imagine doing a drive with something tuning front drums

probably has been a fair amount of humpin in it over the years, not in the luton bed of course, fuck knows how couples can even doss in a overcab bed, must be like a coffin