Dustman’s Smoll French Fancy Vol 2 - I’ve been knobbing.

dozeydustman

The time at writing is 07:39hrs. It’s Sunday.

505A1BCD-C7E0-46E2-B5CC-4108CF1AB145.thumb.jpeg.337dbb6940b1ebc360b04a8794125b3d.jpeg

Cafetière of Spanish coffee and undecided on breakfast. It may just be the Spanish coffee.

Collection caper with the wife will be underway shortly

FOR CLARITY - wife will not indulge in poo count, she is not Jim Bell.

4 minutes ago, treehugger said:

You middle class man! Blackcurrant curd, I didn't even know there was such a thing. 

He probably made it himself, or purchased it at the village fete. 

Quick update.

Just outside of Cambridge and have stopped off to restore our personal comforts.

image.thumb.jpg.622d1e5bcee0915ab110a8f809d8fb2b.jpg
Wife has been asleep for most of the journey and being mainly motorway no photos have been taken because nothing interesting to see.

Atrocious weather and traffic on the A3 delayed us somewhat as down to 30-40mph in many sections and has added half an hour to the journey.

• dozeydustman changed the title to His & hers day out - Smoll French Fancy

Today I ordered a new back box, cam-belt and water pump for the C2. Looking at the supplied HBOL the cam-belt doesn't need a timing kit, just a few drill bits to hold gears in place. I'm declaring it SORN so I can work on it, so I'll need the 'Zuki for a couple of weeks yet before I roffle it.

Still need to find the correct coolant for the car so I may well just see what colour is already in it and buy a fresh batch of that. Hopefully it's red, as I have that already - Every car site offers either waterless or the full plethora of colours as the correct type. Being colourblind doesn't help one iota. A lot of the vans at work are PSA with the HDI family of engines so I can ask the tame fitter what they use. He may even help me with the belt change as space does look limited for my fat arms and hands, albeit at a very quick glance under the bonnet.

Only ordered these yesterday.
603772EB-54E1-4F3D-A4B0-AA640EFF5326.thumb.jpeg.ae55f90058bbd23c7d00ba3f2a793bc8.jpeg

May need some assistance with the timing belt as reluctant to go anywhere of great distance until it’s done, and it looks too small an area for my huge hands and arms. The tame fitter at work may do it for me for beer tokens.

10 hours ago, Spurious said:

I imagine once it's up and running, it'll be a frugal thing, plus 60 mpgs maybe? 

It's nice wee car, I like it. 

We filled up in Norwich, and by the time we reached home, some 220 miles, only 1/4 tank had been used

Thought I’d have a go at the rear silencer this afternoon. When Wuvvum said it fell off he really did mean it (old one was in the boot)

C645B4F6-AC5C-4A6A-B9B8-A723A8ACE2A8.thumb.jpeg.03caf3f6b2c23b8bc1dec0d79f452fdb.jpeg

both mounts for the rear of the system are in very good order, and they don’t look too old in fairness. I’ll leave them on the car.

What wasn’t so good was as I was trying to hammer off the remnant of pipe I missed and this happened.66510ED8-D393-4B60-9AA1-5235C46A6649.thumb.jpeg.0615df3e71d7e1c5fce7a71fe1ac8760.jpeg

Thankfully just the splashguard around the spare wheel hanger. Rotten right through and I’m surprised it hadn’t fallen off sooner, or when traversing one of the many quality* road surfaces we encountered on the collection caper. The spare wheel is still very much secure as it’s in a cradle.

872E0DA7-167D-4899-8DE7-E7F4F6611530.thumb.jpeg.35fd9e7db19cf07fe92d29d3bdeffe0e.jpeg

Much swearing and despite using a cold chisel and the biggest hammer I could find (along with much abuse to an already broken screwdriver) I could not even flare the join of the remainder of the rear section. I’ll try again tomorrow with the ANGERY WHEEL OF SPARKS AND DEATH. It may in fairness just be easier to buy a new mid-section (it’s not perfect but it’s solid for the moment!) so I shall price that up.

Tame fitter will do the cam belt for me when he next has a Saturday free for £cheap + beer + bacon rolls.

Have you found the toolkit on the C2 yet? 
My son had a C2 with no handbook. Took ages to discover half the toolkit is under the driver’s seat and the other half is inside the spare wheel.

His silencer was toast too. Was a great car. Needed front wheel bearings though.

• dozeydustman changed the title to Dustman’s Smoll French Fancy - auspuff

Spot the difference.

image.thumb.jpg.a2fffdc56df012f3aecf0bd9b68a346b.jpg

Having a pipe section of the old backbox made this a twat to get out. Hopefully the new mid section will go in easily and will just be a case of slipping it home and tightening the band clamp at the manifold. Thankfully the band clamp is not rusted, siezed or bent so it looks Ok to re-use. I shall update as progress is made

15 mins to get it in.

image.thumb.jpg.c0a0d23200bc952f186be4ea52fc4671.jpg

Spent more time faffing with the downpipe clamp than anything else.

2E7DB57F-DB4B-473B-9943-C23403996FCB.thumb.jpeg.ad72824dfeb8386ac559a95b7900566e.jpeg

Looks like a trip to Half**ds is needed. My biggest exhaust clamp is too small.

7BBDF2FA-9538-428B-8A2A-170F2A6A94E4.thumb.jpeg.fa017a41d4da135420af087b289dd829.jpeg

To paraphrase Jeremy Healey and Kate Garner (as Haysi Fantayzee) “Shiny Shiny bad pipe’s behind me, Shiny Shiny Sha-na-na-na!”