Fiat 126 purchased

DavidB

20 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

I'd love to put a BMW  R1200 engine in one of these! Had a Bis many years ago, and it was a bit of a disaster. Never really got it running nicely and kinda gave up on it as it didn't have the charm of the 126. Wish I'd tried harder now..

Hmmm...... Beemerr gives the Hillman IMP a tug like Arnie'

;)

My neighbour has offered a use of his Vito and trailer but I don’t fancy hurling it up the hills and valleys where this is located.

im looking at hiring a sprinter or equivalent to just put in the back as I’ve seen photos of people doing this on the Facebook group when I asked. What other equivalents are the same size in the back? The car is 1440m wide max.

• DavidB changed the title to Fiat 126 purchase queries

Not sure of precise van measurements, but TPA is 1.16 metres wide and fitted fine in a LWB Transit... though we could have made our lives easier by taking ramps!

IMG_20180621_174007.thumb.jpg.50246de5cbbd8b49828f1fceb5468655.jpg

The other measurement that I'd be careful of is distance between the wheel arches.

Making sure there are proper tie down points is something to pay heed to as well...there weren't many in that Transit which made the journey slightly nerve wracking at times as I only had one very long strap on one rear wheel.

Enterprise at least do (or did when I rented that one) list the load bay size on their website which was helpful when I was undertaking that trip.

I collected this today, it doesn’t really run (although it might not have petrol in) and was absolutely filthy inside and out. It’s completely solid fortunately with no rust I can see from a good look over. I gave it a clean but will have to finish my Suzuki SJ before I try anything, most of it is cosmetic though.

I wasn’t sure about trailering it back with that Italian flag on the roof 😂

57981B21-985C-429D-8292-9C9DD8357161.jpeg

B464454A-695A-459B-ACB1-D4516F6DF077.jpeg

97FF7738-07D2-42D9-B44D-EF85B5BF5F75.jpeg

27B335B6-99AF-4DC0-B2C2-6CED11529689.jpeg

45AA25D0-9109-4980-BA1D-FA8145C71B09.jpeg

1CD03870-7571-4614-93E3-069C70DE0213.jpeg

2FB0C635-1C49-4FA8-8B04-618CB9BE5F67.jpeg

• DavidB changed the title to Fiat 126 purchased
9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Nice one.

What's the ignition setup on these?  Do they use a wasted spark system just firing both cylinders at once or is there a tiny distributor hiding in there somewhere?

I'm not sure, two ht leads go to an ignition coil, but can't see a distributor, I assume there is one. One of the HT leads was sat on the engine and was melted/shorted out to it.

7 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I'm not sure, two ht leads go to an ignition coil, but can't see a distributor, I assume there is one. One of the HT leads was sat on the engine and was melted/shorted out to it.

The 'distributor' is under that plastic cover next to the oil cap, not much in it though as I'm pretty sure it's a wasted spark system. The oil filter (centrifugal type) is under it and is probably worth a clean before running, mine was full of gunge when I got it despite having only 8,000 miles on it.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

...and there's a Favorit behind it which @Yoss might want as spares....

Possibly, though that shade of blue looks more like a mk2 which are surprisingly different. But might still have a few useful bits. 

2 hours ago, Skut said:

Rural Aberdeenshire. 

And from here I'm almost closer to CZ so I'm out. 

Nice 126 btw. 

18 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Does anyone know how to remove the front headrests on these? Managed to get the covers off to put in the wash but headrests are preventing the front backs and I don’t want to force them

If it is anything like a Mk 1 Panda, the headrest has two shafts which fit through tubular sockets at the top of the seat back.  They are secured by "R" shaped spring clips below the sockets.  To reach them you have to pull the back section of the cover right up and turn it inside out, or you may be able to get your arm up inside the back of the cover.   HTH.