Classic. Retro. Modern.

UltraWomble

E5JUyLzXIBI-OZv.thumb.jpeg.4916b46e6cd361ec578854078aa6c831.jpeg

Ive lobbed some dosh at a 3 issue subscription partly to give it a go and partly because these things often vanish in the night after a few issues.

Its a complex market place for this type of magazine covering things that have often been done to death, but it does seem very well put together, a very good collection of articles and even a Renner Safrane interlaced with the usual ads that you find in this type of publication and a nice collection of retro adverts.

I'd say its well worth a peruse.

https://classicretromodern.com/welcome-to-the-classic-retro-modern-website/

Magazine website.

3 minutes ago, HMC said:

I like the aesthetic of it.  Very ode to mid 1970s periodicals. Wonder who is the publisher? I’m hoping it doesn’t talk about investments etc and doesn’t  have Quentin Wilson in it somewhere. Please god.

Him and his £150,000 “ bargains”!

20 minutes ago, HMC said:

I’m hoping it doesn’t talk about investments etc and doesn’t  have Quentin Wilson in it somewhere. Please god.

Ian Robertson and Richard Dredge and that Gavin Huge Surname that runs Petrol Blog and a few others who seem to just like cars.

No QW or bollocky "buy now to fund your retirement", I mean they do chat about prices, but only in a roundabout way.

https://classicretromodern.com/meet-the-team/

It is a very nice mag. Gavin who did Petrolblog asked me if I could contribute a piece on my 480, I gladly did (P108, issue 1). I must admit I was concerned that it would be derivative or just not have an idea of what it wanted to do as a publication, but they seem to have found a niche that hasn't yet been done, that of the oft-left behind classics such as the 480 and Calibra, but writing about them in an easy to read, characterful manner that you don't really get with PC or C&SC, but with more detail than you'd find in CCW (all are fine publications, but I think CRM has been very carefully done) 

I picked up my copy of CRW this morning, will have a nose through it later on.

I have been buying Bargain Cars a bit recently, its quite good but not as much content as I'd like - I'd happily pay another quid for 25% more content each month. I find it interesting and informative.

Went ahead this morning and signed up for a three-issue subscription to CRM - I'm hoping this isn't the kiss of death, as the last few car mags I've subscribed to have gone under very soon after!

Hard old business, publishing.

Looking forward to having a read; there's nowhere around here that really sells magazines anymore, so getting them in the post works well for me.

47 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Went ahead this morning and signed up for a three-issue subscription to CRM - I'm hoping this isn't the kiss of death, as the last few car mags I've subscribed to have gone under very soon after!

Looking forward to having a read; there's nowhere around here that really sells magazines anymore, so getting them in the post works well for me.

They have become much of a mustness. Even car mechanics.

Nothing new under the sun.

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Same for me. The few mags that I still get are posted as they seem to be too niche for our local Co or garage. 

I used to be able to get most of them in Easons way back when. 

52 minutes ago, Bren said:

They have become much of a mustness. Even car mechanics.

Nothing new under the sun.

I got a bit fed up with the sameness of classics mags a long time ago; other than a copy of PC at Christmas, I haven't read one for a long while.

Classic Motoring Review was quite different as it republished some quite niche archive material, plus commissioned new writing from people like Frank Westworth and Rod Ker. I really enjoyed it. But seemingly it didn't gain traction and only lasted for five editions.

Retro Cars was just becoming interesting again (and almost verging on the print edition of AutoShite, with many forum members contributing) when the publisher pulled the plug on it last year - just as I'd taken out a subscription.

Will be interested to see how this one pans out!

34 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

I used to be able to get most of them in Easons way back when. 

I really miss Easons - their Donegall Place store had a great range of magazines, ideal for a lunchtime browse. I used to get all my music mags from there, although that's also something I've stopped buying in recent years as each issue just felt like deja vu...

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Classic Motoring Review was quite different as it republished some quite niche archive material, plus commissioned new writing from people like Frank Westworth and Rod Ker.

I also liked the A5 format - so much easier for reading on the loo and they fit well on the book case as well.

Perhaps Im jaded from my Jalopy and UBG days but I do like an A5 format (in the way that I like a MIMMS as opposed to a BNF)

Just got this through the post. Supposed to be busy working but had a quick flick through.

First thoughts? Lovely print quality, nice thick pages and doesn't feel like a slap dash publication. Feels like Automobile sort of quality but a bit more modern. Opening the magazine gives that warm and fuzzy print smell from these types of rich pigmented publications.

Also like they're not snobbish on what they've written about. From Golf MK5 GTi to buying an Interceptor, from Lotus Cortina to Volvo 480.

A few flick through pages to give a feel - like you'd do in a newsagents.
9727594e9677c37a7a01a9b245a136c9.jpg
0dfbcf0abde723c929e87b05250c8ea6.jpg
fc44103d898ba2bdcc5bee6c41718798.jpg

f5a014e4753a0e599e28ecb7410ed78b.jpg
c5de4261f588a82a52a02b3dab54e530.jpg

If it carries on like this, I'll definitely be renewing for more than the 3 issues I've ordered so far.