Tanks for the memories!

320touring

5 minutes ago, 808 Estate said:

Back in the late 80s, a friend had a 6.6l Pontiac Trans Am. No idea of the MPG, but when hoofing it, you could visably see the fuel gauge going down. Having said that, the noise it made doing so was pretty epic. :D

I always thought the visibly moving fuel gauge was a myth.

L322 Range Rover for me, I remember brimming it on holiday in the lakes a couple of years ago which was over 100 litres of diesel, about £140 at the time I think. The cashier read the price off the till and then looked up surprised and glanced out the window to see what it was. It would just about do 30mpg on a run though so the range was decent.

10 hours ago, Dan_ZTT said:

L322 Range Rover for me, I remember brimming it on holiday in the lakes a couple of years ago which was over 100 litres of diesel, about £140 at the time I think. The cashier read the price off the till and then looked up surprised and glanced out the window to see what it was. It would just about do 30mpg on a run though so the range was decent.

Yes, I think the nominal capacity was 109 litres (24 gallons). I used to fuel it at 1/4 left to keep it under £100 to use the Automatic pump at Tesco's. Mine was a TD6, 22 mpg and 19 mpg towing, still gave a decent range for the wallet punishing 9 years I owned it.

a P1120390 broad.jpg

14 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

I've seen it before!

A friend owned a 4l auto jeep cherokee for a spell when we were 20 (was a fun story involving forging an insurance certificate for a valid policy to get tax before the post office shut at 5.30, and we had to go to the BIG post office to get that) and it had the switch on the dash to use more fuel.

We were driving from Witney to the Antelope in Wycombe to get there before they started charging, 4 up on the A40/M40 doing an amazing speed, and the fuel needle just sunk, it was funny until we all had to cough up about £30 each to carry on the night and get back to Witney...

I was in it when the auto box died a few months later, I'll never forget the smell as we limped it back home. I remember my firned getting a massive belt off the coil/something under the bonnet too when servicing it one day, and the window switches giving out so the windows didnt work...

20 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

A Gamekeeper friend of mine had a 90 V8 for doing his rounds on the family estate.

When he kept his foot down on the roads between the woodlands you could watch the guage move down.

I had an early Disco 3.5 on carbs that got around 9-10 around the town.Up to 14-15 on a run

19 hours ago, Dan_ZTT said:

I'd have said "That's not right. There's something wrong with your pumps" just to watch the panic in his face. 

Before suggesting that it can't have been at zero to start with. 

And when they started flapping, say "only joking, it has a 120 litre fuel tank"