SCENE SHITE 1973 beetle

Faker

On 6/29/2021 at 2:03 AM, Heidel_Kakao said:

I would love a Herbie replica cliché that it is.

I built one a few years ago, got a LHD car from Sweden because I wanted it to be authentic, welded in the roof section from a sunroof car, fitted a high ratio gearbox from a 1500 but kept the narrow axles, added a camber compensator and Porsche 356 brakes too because I wanted it to be a copy of the #2 stunt car from The Love Bug which did most of the racing scenes

Painted it L87 Pearl White on the outside and grey on the inside like the film cars, sourced the correct radio, aerial and even blanked off the VW badge because the 1969 film cars didn’t have it.

I’ve driven all sorts of cars, several Tatras, a Ferrari… nothing made people smile like this

image.thumb.jpeg.b2099d0d984196cc5bb084d549b637fa.jpeg

1 hour ago, garethj said:

I built one a few years ago, got a LHD car from Sweden because I wanted it to be authentic, welded in the roof section from a sunroof car, fitted a high ratio gearbox from a 1500 but kept the narrow axles, added a camber compensator and Porsche 356 brakes too because I wanted it to be a copy of the #2 stunt car from The Love Bug which did most of the racing scenes

Painted it L87 Pearl White on the outside and grey on the inside like the film cars, sourced the correct radio, aerial and even blanked off the VW badge because the 1969 film cars didn’t have it.

I’ve driven all sorts of cars, several Tatras, a Ferrari… nothing made people smile like this

That looks stunning 😍

6 hours ago, garethj said:

The Love Bug

That's probably the best replica I've seen, normally it's a wrong year car with some stripes on it. I had to double check it wasn't a pic of the real one that Luke from Terry's Beetle Services owns that quite often turns up at shows I've been to

2021-07-11_07-06-19.thumb.jpg.8a21b208a370ed16438380390ce058aa.jpg

36 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

That's probably the best replica I've seen, normally it's a wrong year car with some stripes on it. I had to double check it wasn't a pic of the real one that Luke from Terry's Beetle Services owns that quite often turns up at shows I've been to

2021-07-11_07-06-19.thumb.jpg.8a21b208a370ed16438380390ce058aa.jpg

That’s the car mine was a replica of.  They changed not just from film to film but within each film too.  In the staged races the car had tape on the lights in a + but for some parts they entered the car in real races to get authentic footage and the tape was in a x shape, so that’s what mine was.

image.thumb.png.591b37e453e0b36d959e938f5ff66f6e.png

16 minutes ago, garethj said:

I’d say the rear brakes are, certainly without a 3/4” drive impact wrench or one of those torque multiplier things.

Balancing on a scaffolding pole is no fun🙁

3/4” is essential.E33898E0-EC58-47A4-996A-4852DF54BB0A.thumb.jpeg.304d0669f818ef5eee5b210449c228ec.jpeg

10 hours ago, garethj said:

That is fantastic looking. 😎

I’m sorry I didn’t get around to a Beetle years ago because now that I have one I can’t imagine being without. 

• 1 month later...

This one is a Marathon, technically my niece's car seen here for her wedding a couple of years ago. It lives with my brother and she has only ever driven it a couple of times.

It was trailered up to London for the wedding as it had not been used for a while. Currently on "minilite" wheels as they have good radial tyres. The proper wheels had cross plies. My brother has been tinkering with it recently sorting the carburettor out amongst other things.

20180428_120639.jpg

20180429_170530.jpg

On 29/06/2021 at 10:22, Bazfr69 said:

Fairly standard ‘72 1300 with 79000 on the clock. I haven’t done much to it so far apart from plugs, oil and a new ignition switch. 
 New trim on the running boards and new mirrors (as I managed to wrench one of the old ones off while trying to tighten it up a little). 

I have a lengthy list of things I want to do to it but I’ve mainly just been enjoying it when I can and getting to know it properly as it’s my first air cooled motor. 

A0485E93-0FF0-412F-93C5-5345E4BE15EA.jpeg

Wonder if I know that Beetle.  A Belfast lad on my course in the late 80's had a baby blue Beetle with tombstone lights.  Reg number was UIB1605 or AIO1605.  Something like that.

Edit - Holy shit!  It's the same one!  Just looked at your profile pic.  AIB1605.  His name was Tim and he was a student in Dundee.  He dropped out and went to live in Edinburgh and sold the car around then (1989).  The car looks better now than then.

11 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

Wonder if I know that Beetle.  A Belfast lad on my course in the late 80's had a baby blue Beetle with tombstone lights.  Reg number was UIB1605 or AIO1605.  Something like that.

Edit - Holy shit!  It's the same one!  Just looked at your profile pic.  AIB1605.  His name was Tim and he was a student in Dundee.  He dropped out and went to live in Edinburgh and sold the car around then (1989).  The car looks better now than then.

Small world. 😄

Sadly I don’t know much about it’s history, I got it from a gentleman who bought it as a stopgap car while his ‘63 was being restored.