Collection fred 303 mile

montytom

As above we are just leaving now from Plymouth heading up to Preston to pick up another car. 

It's something luxurious, quite large and definately something I would love to drive.

Quite nervous as I havent done a long trip for a long long time(apart from work)

Will update progress as and when I can.

Sorry literally just got back home. Traffic was horrendous.

It was a rover 75 launch car.

I didnt go for it as it was rough. Miss matched paint and also the rear sill was rotted( which they never said)

It was at the top end for a nice 75 and unfortunately this was not it. 

Sorry for the late post it's been a rather shite day truth be told. 

One good thing has come out of it. I can go hunting for something else now. 

1 hour ago, montytom said:

One good thing has come out of it. I can go hunting for something else now. 

You are a much better person than me, trying to see the positives.

I'd be seething after a journey that far if as badly described as you say.

Get some rest, and there seem to be a few nice ones for sale on the R75 forum to browse tomorrow.

Ok I'll say fully what happened now as I had a stinking headache yesterday.

Me and my father left home just after writing the first post.

The original due time on the sat nav said 15:21 arrival time.

We fuelled he astra up and got as far as exeter when traffic was crawling. It was basically crawling all the way to weston supermare we felt the brakes were binding so pulled into sedgemoor services and the passenger front wheel was red hot. 

We took the wheel trim off and let it cool for a bit. 

We were going to come home but after a mile traffic seemed to clear and the brakes were no longer binding.

We got just past junction 15 and then traffic got really bad again stop start and literally apart from pockets of say a mile was choccker.

We finally got to the house at 18:38

We looked around before the owner came out. 

There were some Marks it's not a brand new car. The front passenger wing looked like someone had tried to paint it but in a different colour blue and also was rough to the touch.

Same with the front bumper. 

The rear bumper on the passenger side was bowed out.

My father quickly felt the sills but I wanted to properly so I got on my hands and knees then I saw the bubbles on the sill. I pushed and it crunched in.

We went to the door knocked and the owner came out. 

We told him that the sill was rotted which he didnt believe until I showed him. 

He then said "well I haven't been under the car in a year and it passed the mot ok"

I said to him I only came here for this car due to it being a launch car.

He then said I have someone round the corner who would put a patch on that. 

He then said you have travelled a long way to just leave without the car. 

I just said Its not as described and left.

We then started making our way back but the M5 was shut but traffic was stopped for nearly 2 hours.

We finally got moving again and then got home about 2:45am.

What a rubbish trip. 

Sorry for the long post

14 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Oh boy, what a stinker! Such a pain when a vendor 'omits' crucial details and let's you waste all that time travelling. Hope you recover quickly and find something else that tickles your fancy soon. Is the Astra ok?

Thankyou I'm fine now the astra drove back fine but we will have to get some new brakes and calipers on the front to cure it. 

13 minutes ago, dave j said:

Sounds like a crappy day! I bet he was hoping as you travelled a long way you would have taken it anyway. Was this off ebay? 

Thankyou thats what I was thinking. 

It was on car and classic.

I have been just popping on the normal sites every now and again to no avail then thought I'd look on car and classic.

13 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Wow, that sounds like a right shitty day…. Shame it didn’t work out for you!

Thankyou I think its he worst traffic I have been in to be honest. I drive artics for a living and have never had it that bad before

I don't know what's worse, the misdescribed car or the absolutely stinking traffic situation. The latter definitely  brings a migraine on for me, every time.

Unfortunately, like every car that has a following, there are chancers out there who will try and peddle rough examples with the faults papered over in the advert. It's a shame as a launch car would be a nice thing.

30 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I bought my 75 from car and classic. It was advertised for £1,200, but it had never had a cam belt so I offered £600 by email. To my surprise it was accepted.

Thankyou that was another thing the car was on 89000 and had cambelts at 50000 but many years ago.

I new about that and factored in doing them in time.

The car was £1895

29 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I don't know what's worse, the misdescribed car or the absolutely stinking traffic situation. The latter definitely  brings a migraine on for me, every time.

Unfortunately, like every car that has a following, there are chancers out there who will try and peddle rough examples with the faults papered over in the advert. It's a shame as a launch car would be a nice thing.

Thankyou I dont know why people are like this. I love launch cars having had 4 but this one condition wise was worse than all our ones previously.

I think you are right about the migraine situation being due to the traffic

53 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I'd be absolutely fuming if it turned out be rubbish if it's the one I'm thinking about. 

Is it the Blue V6 V reg on C&C? I sometimes set the limit to 2k and see what's local to me and that popped up in the search, it looked okay and I can see why you would take a trip out to see it. 

Thanks yes it's that one. I hope no one else gets caught out like I did

55 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

What a shocking waste of time, reminds me of years ago when I drove from Plymouth to Bracknell in horrendous holiday traffic on the A303 to look at an ‘immaculate’ BMW E36 325TD only to be confronted with rusty heap that looked like it had been polished with a brillo pad.

I don't know why people are like this I really don't.