Site downtime - 2021-06-26 23:00

tobyd

I thought I'd overcome the problem I had this morning (Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again) i.e. my name and/or password which have been fine for several years suddenly stopped working.  This morning, I went through the forgotten password sequence, received an email, followed the instructions and got back in.  Just now, I signed out then wondered whether it had been permanently fixed - but no. Same Oops message and had to reset my password again to get in despite the new one of this morning being rated as strong and 'remembered.'  Any suggestions, or will this be the new routine?

12 hours ago, RayMK said:

I thought I'd overcome the problem I had this morning (Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again) i.e. my name and/or password which have been fine for several years suddenly stopped working.  This morning, I went through the forgotten password sequence, received an email, followed the instructions and got back in.  Just now, I signed out then wondered whether it had been permanently fixed - but no. Same Oops message and had to reset my password again to get in despite the new one of this morning being rated as strong and 'remembered.'  Any suggestions, or will this be the new routine?

... and the same again this morning 😒.

Not seen any other problems with this - are you sure your browser isn't helpfully remembering the wrong password?

Also which browser / windows / linux / mac and are you trying to login with your displayname or email?

1 hour ago, tobyd said:

Not seen any other problems with this - are you sure your browser isn't helpfully remembering the wrong password?

Also which browser / windows / linux / mac and are you trying to login with your displayname or email?

I thought it might be, first time round, so cleared caches and history and used a new password selected by the Mac, then pressed the 'remember' option.  Next time I tried to log in it did exactly the same again i.e. same Oops message and would not accept the new password which is entered automatically ('cos remembered). I'm using a Macbook Pro running  OS X El Capitan and Safari (details below).   My usual log in method is to use the remembered name and password but I've had to use my email address and the forgotten password route via email since this problem has occurred, despite the password not being forgotten.  Other sites using log-in and password settings remembered by the computer are still working fine.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.40.36.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.47.51.png

4 minutes ago, RayMK said:

I thought it might be, first time round, so cleared caches and history and used a new password selected by the Mac, then pressed the 'remember' option.  Next time I tried to log in it did exactly the same again i.e. same Oops message and would not accept the new password which is entered automatically ('cos remembered). I'm using a Macbook Pro running  OS X El Capitan and Safari (details below).   My usual log in method is to use the remembered name and password but I've had to use my email address and the forgotten password route via email since this problem has occurred, despite the password not being forgotten.  Other sites using log-in and password settings remembered by the computer are still working fine.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.39.03.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.40.36.png

ahh that will probably be the problem

sadly this forum software demands a pretty modern/new/updated browser, and I dont think Safari from El cap works with the forum software anymore

(its why no one sees @keef anymore as he insists on using an iPad with iOS 9 who's browser does not work with the forum anymore)

Chrome still supports OS X El Capitan so I recommend you use that :)

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/

8 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 16.47.51.png

Oh I just see this screenshot started working

I highly recommend updating your Mac OS X software version (the update should present itself in the Mac App store)

then Safari will start working again :) 

(I thought you where on El capitan because you had an older 2007-2009 Mac where El cap is the latest version of OS X those macs can officially run but your 2015 machine should run the latest software just fine)

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ahh that will probably be the problem

sadly this forum software demands a pretty modern/new/updated browser, and I dont think Safari from El cap works with the forum software anymore

(its why no one sees @keef anymore as he insists on using an iPad with iOS 9 who's browser does not work with the forum anymore)

Chrome still supports OS X El Capitan so I recommend you use that :)

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/

Thanks.  I had trouble with Chrome when it first came out and have not been keen to change since.  I may give it another try if it can function without cloud based memory/software. I have a deep mistrust of cloud - because I'm old 😀.

7 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh I just see this screenshot started working

I highly recommend updating your Mac OS X software version (the update should present itself in the Mac App store)

then Safari will start working again :) 

(I thought you where on El capitan because you had an older 2007-2009 Mac where El cap is the latest version of OS X those macs can officially run but your 2015 machine should run the latest software just fine)

For the last year, going to the Mac App store and clicking updates has resulted in 'No updates available.'  I recall that prior to this there was another push by Mac to get me to change to Opera (I think).  I looked at what Opera offered over and above Safari and it was mainly features for smart phone users, Facebook and social media compatibility. I do not own or use a smart phone or social media and therefore declined their overtures.

12 minutes ago, RayMK said:

For the last year, going to the Mac App store and clicking updates has resulted in 'No updates available.'  I recall that prior to this there was another push by Mac to get me to change to Opera (I think).  I looked at what Opera offered over and above Safari and it was mainly features for smart phone users, Facebook and social media compatibility. I do not own or use a smart phone or social media and therefore declined their overtures.

here you go this should hopefully help :) 

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/how-to-upgrade/

and here is a direct App store Link to Big Sur if you still cant find it

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132

(be warned its a big download if you have a slow internet connection)