2006 Ford StreetKa Winter Edition - Road Test Report

Peter C

5 minutes ago, cort16 said:

May 2020 - Filled chassis rails with marshmallow and news paper (£212)

😀

Love that!

I did get the car from a trader who didn't want it on his forecourt, who I only spoke on the phone with whilst the car was parked on his mum's driveway, so anything is possible. However, the car was honestly described, so far I haven't found anything amiss and the disclosed electrical fault is yet to manifest itself in my possession. Have I really bought a decent old car from an honest trader?

32 minutes ago, cort16 said:

May 2020 - Filled chassis rails with marshmallow and news paper (£212)

😀

Even better.

Marshmallows...mmmm....yummy.

Free newspapers, have you seen how much newspapers cost these days.

Looks clean underneath though, that's a lot (x10) better than I expected. Looks like another good buy to me for what it is.

Do love these things.

Only thing I really wish they hadn't changed from the early ones was changing the dash faces from white to black.  Always thought the white clock faces suited it well - especially in this version which is trying to look a bit more sporting.

If I had room for a convertible I'd definitely consider one.

• Peter C changed the title to 2006 Ford StreetKa Winter Edition - let the music play!

The replacement (for the missing) radio front panel arrived today. Thank you @Agila for the link to the how to enter the security code video. With the code entered, we have lift off!

39.thumb.jpg.cbdb121dbd2ffc4a55ffbe1d0286ac78.jpg

I am surprised at how good it sounds. The bass and treble are nice and clear and there is enough volume to fill the tiny cabin.

As a bonus, a Michael Jackson CD was left inside. Win!

40.thumb.jpg.71842c24cb48751e50e923b0f7f3a671.jpg

I'm off to dig out my Steps greatest hits CD.

• Peter C changed the title to 2006 Ford StreetKa Winter Edition - fixing the power drain issue

Apparently Kas are famous for draining batteries. There are numerous causes, some can be very tricky to find, such as cracked wiring inside the doors!

Rather than faffing around with a multimeter (which I don't even have) and looking for a needle in a haystack, I've bought a remote isolator switch. It looks easy enough to fit, I just need a couple lengths of cable and clamps to fit it without chopping the original cable.

41.thumb.jpg.fe017e49ae4b568db827c33e9baa79cd.jpg

All being well I'll fit it this weekend.

To maintain power to the clock and the radio, I propose to run separate wires directly to the battery terminal. Should be fun.

Oh and enjoy that aluminum gear knob when it's hot... I remember changing gear under my sleeve many times! Or your hand freezes to it in winter (the heater control valve died in my puma, fond* memories of driving in 1 degree winter with the air con on cold (as thats all it did) to De fog the windscreen! 

19 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I mean it's a girls car alright, and I've never liked KA's but then I still think my old Ford puma was the 2nd best car I've ever had, just so chuckable, could get down a B road like nothing else. It was also a hairdressers car but you don't notice when you get in! 

I acknowledge the existence of stereotypes but being comfortable with my sexuality and masculinity I’m quite happy to be seen out in my little Ford. It’s no more camp than a New Beetle or a Bini.

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

I acknowledge the existence of stereotypes but being comfortable with my sexuality and masculinity I’m quite happy to be seen out in my little Ford. It’s no more camp than a New Beetle or a Bini.

That's true, nowadays it's a dead stereotype I'd imagine, especially with the yoof of today renting whatever they can afford regardless of the image. 

Looks like a fun go kart for winter, again going back to the puma the wheels in each corner and low weight make it excellent in snow and shitty weather (although it'll probably half dissolve with too much of that! Dip it in a vat of underseal up to the door handles? 

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Oh and enjoy that aluminum gear knob when it's hot... I remember changing gear under my sleeve many times! Or your hand freezes to it in winter (the heater control valve died in my puma, fond* memories of driving in 1 degree winter with the air con on cold (as thats all it did) to De fog the windscreen! 

No heated windscreen? That was one of the best bits on my old Puma!

Absolutely fantastic cars. Not fast but entertaining and nice even level of grip Vs grunt.

16 hours ago, Peter C said:

Apparently Kas are famous for draining batteries. There are numerous causes, some can be very tricky to find, such as cracked wiring inside the doors!

Rather than faffing around with a multimeter (which I don't even have) and looking for a needle in a haystack, I've bought a remote isolator switch. It looks easy enough to fit, I just need a couple lengths of cable and clamps to fit it without chopping the original cable.

41.thumb.jpg.fe017e49ae4b568db827c33e9baa79cd.jpg

All being well I'll fit it this weekend.

To maintain power to the clock and the radio, I propose to run separate wires directly to the battery terminal. Should be fun.

u got a link to the kill switch?

1 hour ago, Wgl2019 said:

Absolutely fantastic cars. Not fast but entertaining and nice even level of grip Vs grunt.

Nope, didn't have that. It was a black edition. So fancy wheels, pleather interior but no heated screen sadly. 

Given the condition of the car in general if it did have one it'd have been like a shit barcode on a cold morning! 

13 hours ago, Peter C said:

Rather than faffing around with a multimeter (which I don't even have)

They're a tenner. With everything switched off, disconnect the battery and put the meter in amps mode connected between the +ive terminal and lead, and remove one fuse at a time until you locate the circuit that's drawing power. There will always be a small drain so that the clock, alarm, radio memory etc work. You can just pull the relevant fuse when the car's not in use rather than fitting some clunky isolator and running new wiring to stuff. 

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

They're a tenner. With everything switched off, disconnect the battery and put the meter in amps mode connected between the +ive terminal and lead, and remove one fuse at a time until you locate the circuit that's drawing power. There will always be a small drain so that the clock, alarm, radio memory etc work. You can just pull the relevant fuse when the car's not in use rather than fitting some clunky isolator and running new wiring to stuff. 

New fangled cars with canbus technology can be difficult as more or less everything is connected to everything else, but it’s definitely worth a go with a multimeter as described 

1 hour ago, garethj said:

New fangled cars with canbus technology can be difficult as more or less everything is connected to everything else, but it’s definitely worth a go with a multimeter as described 

This. Dyson are twats for it, motors and circuits are open circuit when off, then come live when power is applied. 2006 might not be but in 10 years a multimeter is going to be rubbish on a modern that we can afford

I was very happy when my xsara tailgate issues were simple broken wires, if they'd been not broken it would have been a whole different job

My "free" CD with the last car that I bought was "Life for Rent" by Dido.

3/10 wouldn't pay good money for it.

Hire cars in the past have given some interesting twaffle. A passport was a highlight, but also RHCP - All the Way, which I particularly enjoy. I'm pretty sure I've had Steps left in a car before - it would have been firmly moved to the glovebox and returned with the car.

Also, as someone that does considerable "new car testing" for our company cars, previous testers have clearly paired their phones using bluetooth and the car remembers the name of the phone. So usually "Bill's iPhone" or "Samantha's Samsung" and so on.

"Schrodinger's Arsehole" was an interesting name for a phone. Mine is called "5G Covid Test Mast" and I always connect it up and make sure the next user can see it.

19 hours ago, Wgl2019 said:

Who said that I don't have a heated windscreen? I do!

10 hours ago, bunglebus said:

You are right, that I cannot deny.

However...

I don't know much about car electrics and I really do not enjoy messing about with wires etc.

Someone has already had a go at sorting the problem. The boot light bulb has been removed, the plugs on the back of the stereo were disconnected and a brand new alternator has been fitted at considerable expense, all to no avail.

There is no guarantee that I would find the fault.

Even if I did find the fault, there is no guarantee that I would be able to fix it.

Even if I did find the fault, there is no telling how much it would cost to fix it.

I've already bought the kill switch.

I should be able to fit the kill switch without fucking anything up. Famous last words.

I will not be butchering any wiring etc, so if my fix is not approved by the next lucky owner, they can have a better go at sorting it out.

Even the trader that I bought the car from said that the simplest fix would involve fitting a kill switch. Perhaps he's had a go at fixing it too? 

WCPGW?

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

Who said that I don't have a heated windscreen? I do!

20 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Nope, didn't have that. It was a black edition. So fancy wheels, pleather interior but no heated screen sadly. 

Given the condition of the car in general if it did have one it'd have been like a shit barcode on a cold morning! 

Not you...... them......

Heated windscreen rocks!