2006 Ford StreetKa Winter Edition - Road Test Report

Peter C

5 minutes ago, Peter C said:

I totally forgot to say, I viewed the red MGF that I got all excited about this morning. The car was lovely but I didn’t fit behind the wheel. There’s a lot more room in my little Ford!

I thought the mgf was the one but I still think you've made a great purchase. 

I dealt with these a lot when I had my own business and they're awesome fun, the 1.6 does go really well too be fair but from memory was a tad thirsty. 

Those bigger wheels make it handle even better. 

Certainly don't remember them rusting any worse than a normal ka, in fact they always looked a lot tidier as they weren't actually that cheap new. 

I have tons of ka bits I was really thinking of throwing away in truth but sadly not much sport specific stuff, may have a stereo front for it if it's a standard Ford one I'd be happy to post to you for free? The only other thing I think I have is a set of clocks for one with the rev counter etc, again happy to post it to you, can't remember the mileage but it was low, 44k or the like. 

The headlights are the same as a normal ka but the bumper makes them look a bit more swish. 

I've got a few sets of those but in truth nothing in decent condition so I won't suggest sending those. 

The duratec is often mistaken as the same engine but actually its an ohc motor but still chain driven, VERY tough. The only issue I ever heard about one was the thermostat failing causing overheating as no temp gauge but I'll be honest I replaced it on one I had as a serviceable item and it caused more grief than if I'd left it alone. 

I/we as a family must have covered over 100k in a Ka which although sounds tortuous, was actually great fun and in truth I never had one major issue with one of them, however 2 did fall to the dreaded rust.

The others just got either sold on as cheap shitters or broken up into parts to use for newer ones to sell on.

Such a shame  ford didn't realise how long the mechanics would last and therefore spend a bit more time on the rustproofing as they're genuinely one of my favourite small cars ever. 

The work you put into finding these little hidden gems is excellent.

You've bought top quality again as usual.

I really like the front end, really quite aggressive and rally looking. 

As for being girly, nothing beats having to ride to work on an old woman's bike for 15 months as you save for a house deposit like I did. Then I bought an Agila, thankfully things then improved. 😁

Thing is, when I was younger I thought the most girly cars ever were an audi tt convertible or a mx5 of any description yet now i find the tt strangely alluring.

Still don't get the whole mx5 thing but that's maybe because I haven't driven one. 

I'm sad to say I like the idea of an elan lookalike mk1  mx5 and put a touch more power under the bonnet. 

19 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Thing is, when I was younger I thought the most girly cars ever were an audi tt convertible or a mx5 of any description yet now i find the tt strangely alluring.

Still don't get the whole mx5 thing but that's maybe because I haven't driven one. 

I'm sad to say I like the idea of an elan lookalike mk1  mx5 and put a touch more power under the bonnet. 

I used to think the r170 slk and w210 e class were the most terrible Mercedes ever made. 20 years later I had both.

Seriously try an mx-5 and you will "get it" straight away, or a facelifted mr2 roadster mk3 is even better.

24 minutes ago, vaughant said:

I thought the mgf was the one but I still think you've made a great purchase. 

I dealt with these a lot when I had my own business and they're awesome fun, the 1.6 does go really well too be fair but from memory was a tad thirsty. 

Those bigger wheels make it handle even better. 

Certainly don't remember them rusting any worse than a normal ka, in fact they always looked a lot tidier as they weren't actually that cheap new. 

I have tons of ka bits I was really thinking of throwing away in truth but sadly not much sport specific stuff, may have a stereo front for it if it's a standard Ford one I'd be happy to post to you for free? The only other thing I think I have is a set of clocks for one with the rev counter etc, again happy to post it to you, can't remember the mileage but it was low, 44k or the like. 

The headlights are the same as a normal ka but the bumper makes them look a bit more swish. 

I've got a few sets of those but in truth nothing in decent condition so I won't suggest sending those. 

The duratec is often mistaken as the same engine but actually its an ohc motor but still chain driven, VERY tough. The only issue I ever heard about one was the thermostat failing causing overheating as no temp gauge but I'll be honest I replaced it on one I had as a serviceable item and it caused more grief than if I'd left it alone. 

I/we as a family must have covered over 100k in a Ka which although sounds tortuous, was actually great fun and in truth I never had one major issue with one of them, however 2 did fall to the dreaded rust.

The others just got either sold on as cheap shitters or broken up into parts to use for newer ones to sell on.

Such a shame  ford didn't realise how long the mechanics would last and therefore spend a bit more time on the rustproofing as they're genuinely one of my favourite small cars ever. 

I concur! 

Kind of you to offer the parts, I’ll let you know what I need. At the moment I would love to source the radio panel. I’ve got this unit:

CD7CF0FA-FA52-4E18-A3E2-5E5E6B20936C.thumb.jpeg.7a60049305a0fa264303f6dd7184e9c5.jpeg

Just now, Stanky said:

Is it a folding hardtop or a rigid removable one? I was expecting a folding softtop when you said the rear window was zip-out.

Nice buy though, I think they got the proportions right on these, they're miles better looking than a Mini Coupe IMHO

Removable hardtop (very quick to unlock and easy for two people to lift off + comes with storage bag) and under the rear scuttle there’s a folding soft top. All quite clever and looks great with the roof down as the soft top is hidden beneath the scuttle, unlike an MGF, Bini, new Beetle… all of which display their folded tops.

Just now, Peter C said:

Removable hardtop (very quick to unlock and easy for two people to lift off + comes with storage bag) and under the rear scuttle there’s a folding soft top. All quite clever and looks great with the roof down as the soft top is hidden beneath the scuttle, unlike an MGF, Bini, new Beetle… all of which display their folded tops.

Ah, makes sense - and avoids the 'silver cross pram' look as well. Nice

6 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I guess the soft top must be opened/closed manually? There can't be enough room for electronic gubbinz in there too? 

There’s a button on the side of the b-post, which operates the electric release for the scuttle panel, which needs to be lifted by hand, then the soft top can be lifted up, also by hand. It’s all very simple and there is very little to go wrong - win!

14 hours ago, Peter C said:

Finally, it’s the least manly car owned by a shitter and I deserve everything that will be said by you big burly blokes. 🏳️‍🌈 

I call bullshit on that.

IMG20210619142921.thumb.jpg.d7cbca94676543c2ab83bf2abb86ebc6.jpg

💖💛💙

Love your car though, only Ford I've driven and liked was a Ka.

image.jpeg.55236930c9974ae7568564dba80d1ccf.jpegMechanic Charlene approves. 😍👍

Good choice in a cool colour. 

I was tempted years ago when a mate used to help out at a bombsite car lot, they had a street Ka that they said I could have for £1700 back when all the others were £3 - £4k. 

Sadly that one looked terrible.