Aussie Peugeot 205 Si base spec --> 205 Rallyeshite replica - Father & Son project

matara

My 12 year old son Zacky is keen on learning to drive and doesn't want to wait another 4 years until he can do on the road (here in Sydney, Aus). So we have decided to get involved in doing Motorkhana events in the Junior class which he can start doing from 12 years old. A motorkhana is a tarmac event that is a timed drive around a coned course on private land. So we looked for the cheapest way of doing this and have bought an Aussie/Japan only market spec base Peugeot 205 Si. This is a 1.6i model but pretty similar to a 205XS. 

We intend to transform it from a base spec 205 to an imposter spec 205 Rallye with the aid of some steel wheels, a sticker kit and a cherry bomb exhaust. 

The car we bought has had some competition use in Khanacross ( the next stage on from Motorkhana, but on gravel/off road and high speeds), so it's already 0.5 Colin McRae spec already

being 30 years old this year means we can put it on Historic Registration which means for $50 / 20 quid we can have it insured/taxed and drive it on the road to/from events and up to 60 days personal per year, so we are doing it cheap. 

Will post up some event photos here as there is a lot of other shite spec cars in the field. 

Here is our Aussie base spec!

spacer.png

And here is the goal:-

spacer.png

And here is our Si doing some Khanacross in Melbourne Victora by the prior owner:-

spacer.png

Car is currently in transit between Melbourne and Sydney (1000kms) and should be here later this week. We already have our order in on these:-

spacer.png

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

Here's our very second hand Japanese import 1.9 GTI, which we've had for 10 years, over in NZ. It's been a loaner car to family members for the last 5 years or so, on and off, hence the war wounds, inflicted by others.

It's never been off the road in our ownership, though I'd love to assemble some bits and spruce it up, as it's way beyond shabby chic.

If you know of any cheap 205 bits, let me know!

20210612_112856.jpg

Jon, 

I am new to the Peugeot scene and it seems that parts are very thin on the ground here in Australia. What kind of things are you after? The guy I got my car from has a stash of parts. I could connect you to him. I bought the car fairly cheap considering the prices of GTi's at the moment over here. I need to get a new heater matrix and a set of door locks as I knwo these are busted. Previous owner has upgraded the gearbox to a 306GTi unit, and put 306 brakes on the front with GTI front struts and Koni rear suspension, which are popular upgrades apparently. There is a complete engine and gearbox with only 77kms on it for sale in Brisbane for $150 at the moment. 

Dome, as far as I know this had a detuned (for 91 RON) version of the 1.6 GTi engine. It can be changed back easily which has been done on my one. I think it doesn't have the trim of a GTi, nor a sunroof, and the suspension is from an XS I think. There is a pretty good website http://205.si that has a lot of info on this Aussie/Japan only model. 

Thanks

Steve

Oh and the Si version came with power steering or aircon, which required more clearance in the cramped 205 bay, so they had a bonnet bulge. If you look at Jon's GTi above and them the bonnet on our Si, you can see it. 

Mine has air con but no power steering. I think the bulged bonnet was used on automatic 205s and seems to be a common swap for people modifying them. Seems like Peugeot were ahead of the game with your model!

It's mostly plastic trim panels I'm looking for - some interior bits, the rear panel inset into the boot lid - and in fact, much of the exterior trim bits, if I'm honest! Would love a replacement front bumper...

I've used micksgarage.com to buy service items at more affordable prices. The company is based in Ireland but international post is very affordable, or even free beyond a certain amount. Sourced brake discs, pads, shocks, filters, front indicators etc. from there. Or even Ebay UK can be helpful. NZ has an overseas postal service which cuts down on shipping here (youshop.co.nz), so not sure if Aus might have something similar.

Let me know also if there's something you're struggling to find, as I broke another 205 years ago and kept all the bits barring the shell. Sadly, it too had front end damage, hence no bumper in stock...

• 2 months later...

Well lockdown is still ongoing in Sydney (been going since June!) and we have had some time to work on the 205 Rallyeshite. We stripped the tyres off the wheels just before lockdown to get them powder blasted white, and have had the car stuck in the garage on stands. We had to put some dollies underneath to get it mobile so we could pull it out and wash everything out. 

image.thumb.png.2228ec3f26faa25a3184e6330c672c0e.png

So far it is looking very solid with absolutely no rust to be found! Not bad for a 30 year old french can. 

image.thumb.png.463ef016fb9cf8c73bc2e8e27217540d.png

The  Rallye sticker kit arrived from France

AUTOCOLLANTS-STICKERS-BANDES-KIT-COMPLET

And the Rallye Arches arrived from Portugal of all places!! 

We got the interior all cleaned up and put back in the car, and the door cards went from looking like 30 year old door cards to 1 year old door cards. 

Must say though after working on well engineering german cars, the plastics on a 205 at least are like trying to repair a cheap 1980's "Made in China" plastic toy bought from a pound shop (on discount!) They are diabolical, you can see these cars were made on a budget. 

Anyway will provide an update when we can. Next job is painting the bumpers and arches white, and livening up the dull matt factory paint. 

Cheers

Steve & Zacky

• 4 months later...

OK well progress has been slow on the old Rallye due to lockdowns and not being able to get work done, but we have wheels back now, and the interior has been fixed up, especially the dashboard. 

Strip down shell and remove complete interior and carpets and jetwash clean all items

New heater matrix

Fix Blower Fan

Source and install new dashboard plastics

New electric window switchs

New locks and central locking motors

Wire up switches correctly

Remove plastic strips and pinstripes along car 

Cut and polish paint

Powder coat wheels

Fit Rallye side coachlines

Remove headlights and tail lights and indicators to restore / refit

stripped-shell.thumb.JPG.fb3b97eeebefec9cd472c37e66ec52bf.JPG

IMG_5917.thumb.JPG.c5424d51e20e63295de807acab565820.JPGIMG_6505.thumb.JPG.4e6c03f0f6492d02caa771f48dbe8406.JPG

IMG_6529.thumb.JPG.3ff5535f2cb0f40af978e8b5bd1acead.JPG

IMG_6887.thumb.JPG.ee22c043a57d96ba3aa6d965ee200636.JPG

IMG_7063.thumb.JPG.e94b6a5c4f476006114d7032f2c0977a.JPG

IMG_7089.thumb.JPG.e7d06fde0e65133ffd14d2d75300e209.JPG

The bumpers and arch extensions are now off at the painter getting refinished in peugeot white,  then hopefully my son Zacky can get into some Motorkhana sprint action now he has turned 12! (after he learns to drive it!) 

Cheers

Steve

IMG_7060.JPG

OK got the bumpers and tailgate back from the painters. Been busy rebuilding them, refitting them, painting the tow hooks, and applying some of the stickers. 

IMG_7101.thumb.JPG.5cb4eae64b607067f88ed6d2bd71e07b.JPG

And yellow fogs of course "because French!"

IMG_7103.thumb.JPG.a7a2f172d77f741b0ae8390e15744a1b.JPG

I still have the Rallye arches to fit, thinking of using some rivnuts and sikaflex is the go apparently.

Original rallyes have a rear wiper delete, but I think I will refit the rear wiper, since Ian (Hubnut) would banish me if I removed rear wiperage!!

Hopefully I will get the arches on tomorrow for max effect. 

@puddlethumper A 305 van would make a great rally support vehicle. I am sure you could adapt the sticker scheme. 

Well made a bit of progress today. Got the arches mounted using rivnuts but need some carriage bolts to mount to the front / rear bumper. Didn't get time to take them off again and apply the sikaflex so they sit flush but will get on to it tomorrow night if I can:-

IMG_7119.thumb.JPG.edb2c84cd7416a61b5df74fbcddeceaf.JPG

rear-arches-on.thumb.jpg.856ccbd1e0d29f389c793211e7566919.jpg

The Si used to have a chrome strip around the bumper hence the holes. Real Rallye's didn't have the holes so I have decided to put a red bumper strip on like a GTi has. I have see a few genuine Rallye's with this on so must have been a thing. 

Also came across this original promo pic which I thought was cool

IMG_7107.thumb.JPG.72ccb13550b2318139dc983a1ea6623c.JPG

Needless to say 12 yo son is getting hyper now and chomping at the bit to get out in it. I will see if we can get it pink slipped ( MOT ) and inspected for the historic rego. I have been trying to find some blank French dealer number plates so that I can mount the Aussie Historic plates on top if them,  but it seems the government control the issue of all plates and they are hard to get, if anyone knows a source

15668160_frenchnumberplate.thumb.jpg.a52e1c7c4cad07d97a34e910a129fc73.jpg

Like the above but in white and ideally a Peugeot dealer underneath

On 9/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, Ghosty said:

Aircon button?! I've never seen that on a 205 before. 

The only time I've seen a 'full house' row of switches on a 205, was on a 1990 CTi we were thinking of buying in the early 2000s. It had been imported from Hong Kong by the previous owner, and had AC plus an electric hood! Really wish we'd bought it now, as it was by far the tidiest one we looked at. It was more than we'd planned to spend at £2k, so went away to think about it but by the time we came back it had gone. Ended up with a £1600 XS instead...