Jump to content

Ministry of defective invacaRS


adam1db
 Share

Recommended Posts

Get hold of a damaged kit car bodyshell, or other fibreglass body and chop it down to suit the Invacar proportions perhaps?  Build a bit of a silly special for shits and giggles rather than trying to recreate a factory shell.  There's any number of Lotus 7 style kits where you could probably shorten the nose cone for the front and narrow the rear end to suit the proportions you've got, then stick some canvas doors on and a roadster screen so you end up with a fun little trike-thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, adam1db said:

I am going to need some more body sections for this one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice to see this one on here :)

I look forward to seeing its restoration when its ticket comes up :) 

as we discussed I think sadly there will be a fair few Model 70's in need of body work, as the chassis are very robust as you know so survive pretty well, but the bodywork less so

so it will be a general problem that will need tackling somehow

hopefully in time either original  moulds can be found or reproductions can be made from a good body shell as the pattern, so new body sections can be made for the body-less Model 70's out there :) 

(and in repair sections for the machines with more localised damage)

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Never seen that hoop around the front before!

the Hoop is just something added by whoever had this last, in the same way KPL had had her front out riggers chopped and bent inwards

(notice how the front out riggers have also been cut short on this one)

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Yeah... wondering about largely body-less technical demonstrator so folks can see what's under the skin?

that would pretty cool to have while replacement bodywork is sourced :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting detail (well to nerds like me anyway) is that that latest addition looks to have the same exhaust as TPA currently has fitted with the straight rather than swan neck tip.  First time I've spotted that on another car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Interesting detail (well to nerds like me anyway) is that that latest addition looks to have the same exhaust as TPA currently has fitted with the straight rather than swan neck tip.  First time I've spotted that on another car.

its funny you mention that, as I have noticed a few different exhausts over time and was just discussing them with @adam1db a couple weeks ago,

but I have not yet been able to figure out the exact chronology of them as exhausts being somewhat of a consumable item means any car today may have had any number of exhausts throughout its life time

but I know that From the Prototype cars to to the end of first 2500 cars that AC Model 70's had an exhaust with a strait exit pipe rather then one with a bend in the end, but the exit port was cut flush not at an angle like above

6360e.png

image.thumb.png.a682411dcbe6bfd4d9d987380eee9260.png

EaFNtwoWoAI3oji.jpeg

but I Have yet to work out what the Mark B and later Model 70's came with sadly further research is required there :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam, would you mind me using a few images from this thread?  Obviously credit will be given and linked to wherever you wish (i.e. to this thread or to your own website if applicable).  I'm working my way slowly through writing up my webpage for TPA, and some of the photos in here - especially the ones of KPL's chassis straight out the paint booth are truly *excellent* for showing how these vehicles were made.

Aside from anything else, as KPL is obviously mentioned at the start of the page and how she donated many parts to KPL...and it would be nice to show how things improved after this which is the last photo I have of her.

IMG_20181215_132951.thumb.jpg.0f6ff4e320fb74d371a148373d165f36.jpg

Really didn't expect her to be anything other than a parts donor or possibly custom project base...never thought she would be getting restored!

Really does show the "never say die" approach that owners of these cars seem to be getting a bit of a name for now and how even the worst looking basket case can be saved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Adam, would you mind me using a few images from this thread?  Obviously credit will be given and linked to wherever you wish (i.e. to this thread or to your own website if applicable).  I'm working my way slowly through writing up my webpage for TPA, and some of the photos in here - especially the ones of KPL's chassis straight out the paint booth are truly *excellent* for showing how these vehicles were made.

Aside from anything else, as KPL is obviously mentioned at the start of the page and how she donated many parts to KPL...and it would be nice to show how things improved after this which is the last photo I have of her.

IMG_20181215_132951.thumb.jpg.0f6ff4e320fb74d371a148373d165f36.jpg

Really didn't expect her to be anything other than a parts donor or possibly custom project base...never thought she would be getting restored!

Really does show the "never say die" approach that owners of these cars seem to be getting a bit of a name for now and how even the worst looking basket case can be saved.

All my photos are free to use, credits not important :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Adam, would you mind me using a few images from this thread?  Obviously credit will be given and linked to wherever you wish (i.e. to this thread or to your own website if applicable).  I'm working my way slowly through writing up my webpage for TPA, and some of the photos in here - especially the ones of KPL's chassis straight out the paint booth are truly *excellent* for showing how these vehicles were made.

Aside from anything else, as KPL is obviously mentioned at the start of the page and how she donated many parts to KPL...and it would be nice to show how things improved after this which is the last photo I have of her.

IMG_20181215_132951.thumb.jpg.0f6ff4e320fb74d371a148373d165f36.jpg

Really didn't expect her to be anything other than a parts donor or possibly custom project base...never thought she would be getting restored!

Really does show the "never say die" approach that owners of these cars seem to be getting a bit of a name for now and how even the worst looking basket case can be saved.

 

19 minutes ago, adam1db said:

All my photos are free to use, credits not important :)

 

and on that note for @Zelandeth heres a link the Facebook album on KPL's rebuild for where there are a few more photo's :) 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=accountdeactivationpending&set=a.10164774219330322

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2021 at 12:47 AM, vulgalour said:

Get hold of a damaged kit car bodyshell, or other fibreglass body and chop it down to suit the Invacar proportions perhaps?  Build a bit of a silly special for shits and giggles rather than trying to recreate a factory shell.  There's any number of Lotus 7 style kits where you could probably shorten the nose cone for the front and narrow the rear end to suit the proportions you've got, then stick some canvas doors on and a roadster screen so you end up with a fun little trike-thing.

Now that's given me a very silly idea of fitting a back-to-front Lomax 223 body - engine sticking out of the back and a boat nose :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

spoke with @adam1db last night (or the night before cant quite recall!) about things, and he has forwarded me a bunch of Photos to upload to his thread for him :) 

so here we go :) 

first of all KPL's had her roof trial fitted, its so weird seeing KPL as a complete car! iv gotten so use to seeing KPL in such an incomplete state its weird to see her complete, but very awesome at the same time :) 

IMG_3088.thumb.jpg.d7a884ed437cf062aec03265dbf0ca8f.jpg

the roof has just been dropped on to check for fit (its all TPE's bodywork still mind) as you can see the front body work is a bit far back, so that will need some tweaking

and then there will just be the "interior" if you can call it that on a Model 70! and the doors left to fit

still trying figure out something for the doors as he does not have any window frames, they are the same cross section/type of framing as what Mk1 Mini's and Enfield 8000's used, but not the same overall shape of course

I do wonder if the metal framing has a name or can be bought and bent into a bespoke shape still?

 

the Rolling chassis also arrived :) 

IMG_3080.thumb.jpg.a43ae4b3b154e7322889f622642c001a.jpg

IMG_3081.thumb.jpg.f1a0cbd99b3b99a5da41187119709e43.jpg

IMG_3082.thumb.jpg.333670ad35e3abe100a36e24dbbb3bdd.jpg

plan is to clean it up a bit, get some tyres on it that hold air and get it running up and down the driveway, then wait for some Bodywork to hopefully pop up for it :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not using KPL's original roof?  Figure it would have been nice to retain a bit of the original bodywork to the car - though equally I do remember it being really badly weathered so would need a lot of remedial work to the exterior surface, so probably a sensible call really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Not using KPL's original roof?  Figure it would have been nice to retain a bit of the original bodywork to the car - though equally I do remember it being really badly weathered so would need a lot of remedial work to the exterior surface, so probably a sensible call really.

I did ask about that since I thought the same :) 

 and adam even said that KPL's roof was in better shape then TPE's roof

but that he wanted to use TPE's so that everything was matching had the best chance of lining up etc and also so that the weathering etc all matched up :) 

(although as you can see currently things are not quite lining up, because the chassis, I think the upright part that holds the front suspension etc, is a little tweaked consistant with a front end shunt, which lines up with the your theory on what took KPL off the road back in 1991 etc) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 12:47 AM, vulgalour said:

Get hold of a damaged kit car bodyshell, or other fibreglass body and chop it down to suit the Invacar proportions perhaps?  Build a bit of a silly special for shits and giggles rather than trying to recreate a factory shell.  There's any number of Lotus 7 style kits where you could probably shorten the nose cone for the front and narrow the rear end to suit the proportions you've got, then stick some canvas doors on and a roadster screen so you end up with a fun little trike-thing.

A turbocharged Invacar would be a scream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

A turbocharged Invacar would be a scream.

given that the Model 70's Steyr puch flat twin can be tuned to produce some ridiculous levels of power for what they are

that would be quite something! Im still just trying to figure out what the top speed of a Regular Model 70 is!

 

keep in mind a Model 70 is only about 60Kg heavier then this thing LOL

but at least for starters the Big bore kit is back in stock if anyone wants go from 493cc to 762cc! 

https://prokschi.at/puch-500/tuning/straight-shank-piston-cylinder.html

(there are english subtitles)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...