Funny MoT advisories

2cvspecial

On 5/30/2021 at 10:12 PM, big_al_granvia said:

the exhaust noisy irritates me as there is no noise limit in the mot test nor do they accurately measure it

No, but there is a requirememt for the exhaust to not be noticeably noisier than a standard model.  If the exhaust has been modified and is obviously louder than a standard system, that is a fail point.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

No, but there is a requirememt for the exhaust to not be noticeably noisier than a standard model.  If the exhaust has been modified and is obviously louder than a standard system, that is a fail point.

The MOT tester I use is deaf as a post. You could be sat in the Thrust SSC playing the trombone through a subwoofer and he’d be none the wiser.

Everyone, especially owners of older cars, get really shitty about getting an advisory almost as if it’s a demerit against their car. All it is is an advisory of a point that may/may not be an issue before the next test and to cover the testers arse against something that’s marginal. Likewise you can’t dismantle anything but you probably have suspicions that the brake pipe carried over the fuel tank on a Fiesta is corroded but you can’t accurately see it so you’d have to give the benefit of doubt to the presenter and pass and advise. So as could and does happen it leaves the test centre and the brakes fail from a burst pipe you’ve have covered yourself. That’s assuming it doesn’t burst on the rollers.

12 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Everyone, especially owners of older cars, get really shitty about getting an advisory almost as if it’s a demerit against their car. All it is is an advisory of a point that may/may not be an issue before the next test and to cover the testers arse against something that’s marginal. Likewise you can’t dismantle anything but you probably have suspicions that the brake pipe carried over the fuel tank on a Fiesta is corroded but you can’t accurately see it so you’d have to give the benefit of doubt to the presenter and pass and advise. 

I've seen loads of huffy threads on Pistonheads by people whining because some MoT tester has affected the future value of their car by daring to put an advisory on it. I've never really understood what the issue is. Iirc I once had an advisory because a child seat was fitted which hindered the testers abilty to examine the belt. 

The only issue I can see with advisories is if some dozy sod is too idle to address any significant problems from year to year. That might well affect future resale value because anyone interrogating the online records will deduce that it has been maintained on the cheap. 

3 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Consultant letters from the pre-digital days are the best.  One place I worked I was sorting paper records and the ones that read 'This charming lady', or 'Articulate gentleman', etc. were my favourites.  Consultants are some of the most sarcastic people alive.

I still write referral letters like this - its very much an unspoken code that If I write "Please consider seeing this 24YO pleasant chap"  he will be an utter f*ckwit. In the same way I might put "politely declined rectal examination today" when what he really said was "you are not putting your f*cking finger up my arse you poof"

the visually impaired person galloping past my car on a horse during a blackout has just passed my car .

that will do me for finishing it off , it only did 7K  last year !!! , still got a good set of brakes and tyres that should  see it out

then it can go for spares n repair ....

21 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

I still write referral letters like this - its very much an unspoken code that If I write "Please consider seeing this 24YO pleasant chap"  he will be an utter f*ckwit. In the same way I might put "politely declined rectal examination today" when what he really said was "you are not putting your f*cking finger up my arse you poof"

I don't know how far back your records go but some of the ones I was reading are much like this and stretched back to the 1950s.  As much as things change, they stay the same...

The problem with 'funny' MoT advisories is that they're not very funny. Have you ever met a funny MoT tester? 'Garage banter' is pretty depressing in my limited experience.(Scaryoldcortina the exception to this rule, of course).

'Wheels look shit' is iconic though and is genuinely funny. Everything else: meh

20 hours ago, sierraman said:

Since when was the auxiliary belt a testable item?!

I once got an advisory for my aux belt:

Screenshot_20210601-133144_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7e6373ecaf91665ceb09f550eca8fb9.jpg

Half of the width of it was missing and it had a long strand hanging off that spun around twatting off various things in the bay. That was the only advisory. I fixed it not too long after but had to wait for the new belt.

Folk on the 75 Facebook pages get very upset about advisories and are equally disparaging about someone else's car that has them.

I never had an advisory for the almost completely  disintegrated flexi pipes on the Cavalier nor did I get one for the actually disintegrated chassis leg on the Corsa last year. 

An advisory can show that the tester is cautious rather than the car is borderline unroadworthy.

As alluded to though, a car with a plethora of advisories each year, some repeating, shows poor maintenance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The SuLK had advisories on its last MOT for 'perished tyre valves' which did annoy me as they were new with the new tyres 10 months earlier! It had all its advisories done though as I am anal retentive old twat!

My first SL 500 had an advisory for 'stupid pink car' it was Almandine red, not bloody pink! Also had 'Barbie is okay but Ken is an ugly fucker!' as that SL was the one modelled for the K  and B car...