Selling a really cheap car

Daviemck2006

I had in my possession a 56 plate merc a160cdi auto with a knackered gearbox but still 6 months MOT. It was worth basically scrap money, which here is only about £100 to £120. It was still driving but making noises and dropping into limp home mode with transmission fault visit workshop displayed on the dash. It was ok for about 5 minutes when started before it went limp home. I saw an advert on Faceache for Arnold Clark saying they would buy any car, email for a quote then use +500 and you get £500 added to the price. I filled in the form, being honest about it dropping into limp home and the message on the dash. The quote came back, £50 for the car plus the £500. Please make appointment at a local branch. So this I did, at a branch that I had had problems with in the past and the manager threw me out. So today I went there, it was the managers day off, pity, and a salesman did an appraisal of the car, said its £100. I quoted the +500 again and got £600 for a £100 scrapper! I have no scruples taking £500 off Arnie shark, I reckon they cost me more than that at the last time I dealt with that branch. Just a pity the manager wasnt there to see it

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

That is interesting, assume car must have a current mot

4 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I had in my possession a 56 plate merc a160cdi auto with a knackered gearbox but still 6 months MOT.

A lassie at work used this recently. She had a year old Sandero Stepway though. A trader that bought my father in law’s car from me last year and all of the car buying services, including Arnold, all offered roughly the same book price. Then she noticed the +£500 thing on Arnold’s website. She booked the first appointment and the car was away an hour or so later. Still took a fair hit on a year old car but the extra £500 took the edge of it. 

It was only going to be scrapped for £120. The guy at arnold Clark did take a quick spin in it, but it was always ok for about 5 minutes after starting it when it had sat an hour or so. Theres a retail park right across the road from the branch so I had a look around it for a while before crossing the road. Plus I had admitted that the eml was on intermittently. This seems like a great way to get rid of basically scrappers that are still road legal

*If you have owned the car for less than 6 months we will require a main dealer VAT invoice as proof of purchase. Any backdated ownership will also require this supporting documentation

From the Arnold Shark website.

Seems they won't buy cars that have obviously been bought just for this, otherwise anyone could just go and buy a string of £200 snotters and sell them to Arnold Clark for a £500 hit each time.

Bah.  That's my business plan out the window then.

16 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

That will probably be the young salesman getting a kick on the arse when the manager next sees him!

Doubt it, guess they have a deal with a scrapyard/auction house to pay them most of the 500 quid so the risk will be negligible being an mot'd running car, more than likely it'll become auction fodder where it'd probably make 300-400 quid, as it's becoming hard to find a snotter with any sort of amount of MOT for much less than that so long as it drove through under its own steam.

Plus look at all the free advertising they are getting off the back of this, they've already bought a year old dacia further up for part ex using the same scheme, so it more than balances out people trying to game the system.

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Race you there.

IMG_20170511_105336.jpg

£510, here I come.

they valued my 2005 peugeot 107 at 50 quid, because i went through the form honestly. Still with the 500 quid bump from arnold that brings it up to a respectable offer of £550. Half tempted, but only very half tempted as i'd have to replace it with something else which would probably cost more than 500 quid.

They wouldn't even give me a valuation on anything older than 2005.

Although the getting more than it was worth from Arnie was good, the best bit about this was the not having to put up with the hassle of selling a car with a borked gearbox for a few hundred quid. I got my money back from the car I bought to do my work with which turned out to be a bucket of shit. It's a lucky escape for me, leaving with my fingertips intact.

7 minutes ago, Bren said:

I am not sure how this will result in anything other than financial ruin. It seems to be on a par with magic beans. Gets popcorn and sits down....

99.99999% of people will be selling them a car that can be retailed for more than +£500 on what they pay for it. 

I'm sure you are all wise heads and don't believe for a second that anyone is getting trussed up apart from the buyer.  Any promo trade-in offer means the screen price already has the padding added on.  Going back to ancient times when the government protected us from ourselves by needing you to put down a 1/3 deposit when buying a car on HP, every dealer worth his salt priced the stock accordingly.  That was the era of £1500 trade-in for anything, famously by Peter Cannon (The Big Noise in Fords) giving a £1500 trade-in value to a frying pan.  Nothings changed.

No trader is fleecing himself, nobody is getting sacked.

3 minutes ago, colino said:

I'm sure you are all wise heads and don't believe for a second that anyone is getting trussed up apart from the buyer.  Any promo trade-in offer means the screen price already has the padding added on.  Going back to ancient times when the government protected us from ourselves by needing you to put down a 1/3 deposit when buying a car on HP, every dealer worth his salt priced the stock accordingly.  That was the era of £1500 trade-in for anything, famously by Peter Cannon (The Big Noise in Fords) giving a £1500 trade-in value to a frying pan.  Nothings changed.

No trader is fleecing himself, nobody is getting sacked.

It’s not a trade-in allowance, it’s straight purchase: https://www.arnoldclark.com/sell-my-car

interesting they actually do drive them at AC, when you go to WBAC (we sold 2 this year) they arent even allowed to sit in them , they ask you to roll the window down to look at the mileage & Check the dash for errors coz covid.

I initially thought this was about trade ins but very interesting that this is about an outright sale! AC are alright for deals, but I wouldn't even put a wheelie bin in there for a service or repair.

Hopefully they're still doing it in July when the Minis MOT is due......