Toyota Carina II - saved from scrappage / export. Happy Ending

DoctorRetro

Theres a 1992 Toyota Carina at a dealership on Rayleigh Weir, Essex that has been traded in but is NOT scrappage. Sales guy wouldn't commit to a price, wanted me to make an offer.  I'll try to get to see it tomorrow maybe. Worst case I'll take some pics.

I've seen it about loads but obviously now the bloke has traded it in.

This type, but lighter red.

Toyota_Carina_II_front_20071025.thumb.jpg.dce3e930b1ac7bfe5659e97d131c21bf.jpg

Worth saving? How much? 

Anyone else want a go?

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I don’t get why they can’t commit to a price, it says to me they want to see if what they’d like to ask is taking the piss or not.

Because they don't want to miss out if their £300 car is actually worth £3000 to some obscure group of folk on the internet.

I'd be very surprised if they were looking at export as a possibility. No sales admin dept wants any more hassle than just sending a trade car to the block or whoever its p/x has been underwritten by.  I strongly suspect that a token figure (read in the low hundreds) was offered. 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Because they don't want to miss out if their £300 car is actually worth £3000 to some obscure group of folk on the internet.

I did OK..... I got out for Orig purch£  + improvements£. Sweet Deal ;)

Not totally sure it would steam through another MOT without the 'tickle stick', mind.....

J424LFY currently SORN.

I like these. The only thing stopping me from having one is that my ex's name is Carina, and I don't want to be reminded of the breakup every time I step outside. :D

How big is this garage? Is it a local type outfit that occasionally trades a p/ex? Usually the decent size garages selling new/nearly new cars will have a bloke who comes and takes whatever there is between a price range, their trade is new cars they won’t fart about with part ex’s. If it’s one of those type they’ll take whatever to get shut and out the way. That said though you find they deal with 1-2 people who take whatever below £X amount, they haven’t the time for the private man coming and umming and ahhing and wanting a road test or whatever. 

With that in mind I’d tell them £200 and you’ll have it gone by dinner time. Don’t expect much more than a cursory glance through the fence at it though. 

26 minutes ago, sierraman said:

How big is this garage? Is it a local type outfit that occasionally trades a p/ex? Usually the decent size garages selling new/nearly new cars will have a bloke who comes and takes whatever there is between a price range, their trade is new cars they won’t fart about with part ex’s. If it’s one of those type they’ll take whatever to get shut and out the way. That said though you find they deal with 1-2 people who take whatever below £X amount, they haven’t the time for the private man coming and umming and ahhing and wanting a road test or whatever. 

With that in mind I’d tell them £200 and you’ll have it gone by dinner time. Don’t expect much more than a cursory glance through the fence at it though. 

That's the plan. It's a large new Toyota dealership.

In my experience of working at big franchises, they take a dim view of the general public eyeing up trade stock. Some have rules that prevent them selling anything that doesn't have a warranty unless it's to a known trader or via trade auction. Anything else that leaves the dealership has to go out as retail, which means 50-point check, MOT, warranty etc. Mind you, I'd LOVE to see a Toyota franchise do that on a 30 year-old car.

Best of luck. Genuinely. I'd love this to go to somebody on here.

34 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Some turn a blind eye, I’ve known of a few people working for the dealers doing a bit of part time trading if something nice comes in. On the other hand some just send it all to the auction, it goes in a compound nearby and off to BCA or whatever. 

The bloke I spoke to on the phone told me to ask for him by name, so I believe he's looking to do a deal. 

I thought that, £600 doesn’t get you a roller skate these days. If you look after it it should last you, the engines in those used to run forever. For £600 I’d snap his hand off if I’m honest. Be aware though like I said big dealerships like that aren’t apt to farting about over £600. A car salesman wouldn’t get out of bed for the commission he’d make on a £600 car.

I’d really like to T cut that bonnet. Satisfying.