I really could get one of those...but I know I never will.

FakeConcern

I really could get one of those...but I know I never will.

I have no need for any more cars as I have one and Mrs Concern has one, also my foray into a “fun” weekend car (XM V6) wasn’t too successful, I didn’t like it much, Mrs Concern refused to drive it and we used it so little I always had to charge the battery before I did want to go out in it. That doesn’t stop me thinking “I really could get one of those, I could afford it and have room”.

Hmm, here’s my list for today, it obviously changes regularly, how about you?

Chrysler 300c ltd

I love the gangsta looks of these when in black and the V8 sound good to me

spacer.png

Audi A2

Probably the only Audi I would actually like to own, innovative aluminium construction, interesting looks and pretty unlikely to see another in Sainsbury’s car park

spacer.png

Mini R53

The only Bini I really like the look of, I’m sure they’re a fab drive and quick

spacer.png

Volvo 480ES Turbo

Pop up lights, wedge shape, all glass hatch, would be the perfect complement to my C30 T5

spacer.png

Mk V Golf GTI/R32/Ed 30

My favourite shape Golf and depending how I feel at the time one of these three would be a good idea

spacer.png

Clio 182 in Liquid Yellow or Racing Blue

Since we bought both kids a Mk2 Clio each to learn in as their first cars, I’ve had a soft spot and for me the ultimate would be a bright yellow or bright blue one. Prices a starting to get towards that of a Trophy for a 182 in these colours now, but it would be that or nothing for me

spacer.png

spacer.png

BMW M135/140

I passed my test in a RWD car, but never owned one and these get a great press and likely to be the last RWD hot hatch. I don’t really like BMW as a brand, but still

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, goosey said:

I would love to get a Suzuki Alto fx.

I came very close to buying one just to keep immaculate and not use but I just don’t need another car 

34BCD99F-EA2E-4835-A34D-C5ADB62A4A38.png

@trigger’s   old one, although usually he’s poking his head out of the window with a strange hat on.

I’d Really like a maser quattrporte- the 02 ish On model. I could buy one (they’re not mega money) but I just wouldn’t ( fear of parts costs and borkage potential) 

about 12 years ago I had a look around a scruffy/ dodgily repaired Ferrari 456 auto - agsin at the time not unaffordable, and just didn’t want the fear factor, my no go area seems to be ‘cheap’ exotica. Cheap mainstream luxury stuff doesn’t bother me- but that’s usually very cheap to buy, better parts choices (and prices) and your local garage isn’t scared of them ( usually) 

I keep telling myself that this will be the year I buy a Saab 900 or 9-3 cabrio for the summer*. It's the one floppytop I really fancy, I love old Saabs and I came close to it a couple of times including one on eBay last week, but it's yet to happen and given the weather still thinks it's January in Glasgow just now it would be a bit pointless this year.

In my head I'd look exactly this cool driving it...  😛

Screenshot_2021-05-24 Saab-9-3_Convertible-2000-hd jpg (JPEG Image, 1600 × 1200 pixels) - Scaled (54%).png

The only modern car I wouldn't mind having a go in is:

276596_bmw-z8_crop.jpg

...but they're all LHD only.

BMW struggled to sell these at 80 grand and, at one point, if you had sixty grand burning a hole in your pocket, some dealers like Hexagon would capitulate and let you take one off their hands.

Nowadays they're about three times the original price.....

9 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

A2 is certainly a brilliant little car. I might be slightly biased; my 1.4TDI 75 has almost 250,000 miles on the clock. Still going strong and still getting 60+mpg...

DSC_6901.JPG

DSC_7113.JPG

At one point I suggested Mrs Concern have one (obviously because I like them), but she refused for two reasons. First it would be too expensive to run as "Audi" second "it looks like a pram from the back", not quite sure what to say about that!

• 4 weeks later...

Not so long ago I toyed with replacing my C30 T5 with a new Focus ST, would have to be either orange or black, have a pan roof and Performance Pack. These could be the last of the line of fast petrol Fords so not likely to lose money over time.

spacer.png

Although I really like the look of these and think one would make a great purchase, I decided against it for a few reasons...

I’m not convinced that the current car tech, touch screen etc is at the most developed state and may seem very dated very soon. Even though I like the look of it, it is nowhere near as distinctive or unusual as my current C30. As far as performance goes, the C30 is already borderline as much power as you will ever need and easily will attain similar power and torque as the St with a re=map and a few simple mods which would be much cheaper than changing cars . True the St has all sorts of modes such as Launch Control, but would I ever use that? Doubt it.

Anyway that all got me thinking what else would I like?

Mk2 Focus RS, basically the same Volvo 5 pot as in my C30, but at a higher level of tune. Ford Scene tax of course, but not stupidly as yet. It would have to be in the bright green colour and fairly standard which could be more of a problem...

spacer.png

Or what about the Mk3 Focus RS? Last of the line maybe? Four wheel drive with drift mode (YO!) FTW...

Would have to be blue

spacer.png

• 2 months later...

Well there's probably a list of 20. But at the top?

I probably couldn't afford it, unless I got very lucky in France, but I guess the car that's in my AS dreams most often is a late R16 TX with the optional air conditioning. I can't imagine a better classic. But I'd need an excellent mechanic, a suitable garage and somewhere interesting to drive.

16tx.jpg?width=687&height=492

Usually the "I could own one of those" ends with me actually buying the car as you can tell from my sig. But right now here's a list that I could own right away if I did chose to do so (space is the problem though).

My old Safrane sold here. It sucks that nobody appears to be bothered taking it on, I'd love take it back but simply don't have the space for anything that needs more work.

Citroen C6. Still want one, particularly a petrol which I'm not willing to pay the usual asking prices for. 2.7 Diesel are much cheaper and look just as pretty, albeit pronbably being significantly more troublesome, hence no unless ultra cheap.

Citroen C6 technical specifications and fuel consumption — AutoData24.com

Alfa 166 3.0 manual. Still want one, especially the pre-facelift which I think is the much more interesting car. If I had the space I would, absolutely will if I can find one in Aurora Pearl like the one below:

Pics of my Aurora Sportronic | Alfa Romeo Forum

MG ZT190 manual. I don't know why but I really want an early one. And not even the V8. Guess the boyracer looks, great color options and being a genuinely decent car are what makes it interesting. Very cheap, too.

2003 MG ZT 4.6 i V8 32V (260 Hp) | Technical specs, data, fuel consumption,  Dimensions

Plenty of others I will buy as soon as I find one/have the money but I guess thats not the point of the thread.

My dad owned both of these when I was a kid.

First, a Saab 99. Splendid car. I loved the little joysticks for controlling the wing mirrors (the first car I'd ever seen that had those).

Second, a Volvo 145. Ours was exactly like this, but dirtier.

I'd also like this mini, but with no special finishes and an "850 Automatic" badge.

Alas, the prices of the Volvo and Saab have gone too far. Both rare collectibles now. Plus I'd never spend £108,000 on a car, even a special one.

1969-SAAB99.jpg

Volvo_145_green_vr_TCE.jpg

9 hours ago, loserone said:

Does @autofive still have his? I seem to recall it having a leaky water pump made of unobtainium, so he was running it on a total loss basis for two years or something.

Because I'm weird and obsessive I went off reading about this, found a Capri forum where someone had the engine in a Capri and he had his pump rebuilt by this lot

http://www.spwaterpumps.co.uk/index.asp

£170 last year....

On topic, mine is an E39 BMW M5. I can afford one but my brain is in a place where if I buy one it'll shit it's engine and I'll get made redundant just as a recession starts and I'll need that money.

I think for me the prime "wan't but won't" over the years has been big hydropneumatic Citroens. I'm probably not old enough not to have missed the boat on the wonderful DS (and SM) but I "should" have bought a CX when they were cheap. Repeat for XMs and the C6. The combination of frenchness and complexity is terrifying to me. Even the prospect of a Xantia scares me, and still, I really want one.

Changes all the time but having had a good old browse yesterday at the Thoresby Park show the one car that I came away thinking I would love to own:

20210830_131709.thumb.jpg.64c461fd112a8924da3316a4b0453fe2.jpg

.. always liked the Rover 25 anyway, loved the way that Rover, at a time when most manufacturers were going "hmm, what people really want from our medium sized hatchback model is a larger sized hatchback model" replaced the old 200 with a smaller car. Always made me laugh every time after a few generations of making their models bigger car makers would suddenly discover a "new" segment smaller than their entry level car.