SKcats fleet, seat cordoba top end engine rebuild!

Skcat

The choke adjust felt weird on the gpz so I bought a new cable for it, I was advised to stick to genuine parts as they are not very expensive. 

VWrVqRO.jpeg

Started it up today but it would not idle nicely and would stall out. So fitted the new choke cable. 

YESy6ht.jpeg

I feel like the old one could have probably been adjusted and worked fine but now even in the cold it runs as it should. Kinda feels like I should lubricate all the linkage on the choke/throttle body, but now it does not die out on me!

g5cUyB7.jpeg

Really simple stuff but the first thing I've ever done on a motorbike. Will need to get on getting some tyres and a chain sorted for it in time. 

Failed my first attempt on a mod 1 this Monday. I put my foot down on the figure 8, the instructor let me carry on and I did the rest with no issue. Annoying as I was good at that when I practised, I need to go faster next time.

I'm Pretty happy that was the only issue though I was very cold and nervous. 

5 hours ago, Skcat said:

The choke adjust felt weird on the gpz so I bought a new cable for it, I was advised to stick to genuine parts as they are not very expensive. 

VWrVqRO.jpeg

Started it up today but it would not idle nicely and would stall out. So fitted the new choke cable. 

YESy6ht.jpeg

I feel like the old one could have probably been adjusted and worked fine but now even in the cold it runs as it should. Kinda feels like I should lubricate all the linkage on the choke/throttle body, but now it does not die out on me!

g5cUyB7.jpeg

Really simple stuff but the first thing I've ever done on a motorbike. Will need to get on getting some tyres and a chain sorted for it in time. 

Failed my first attempt on a mod 1 this Monday. I put my foot down on the figure 8, the instructor let me carry on and I did the rest with no issue. Annoying as I was good at that when I practised, I need to go faster next time.

I'm Pretty happy that was the only issue though I was very cold and nervous. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, I passed my mod 1 today! Mod 2 is booked. 

Bad news, I can't get the volvo to run, no spark, kinda odd. Crank sensor seems fine. Ordered a set of ht leads as I have 12v at the coil but maybe the ignition coil is faulty. 

Apon removing the crank sensor I saw it was covered in oil. So it probably needs a new real main seal pretty bad. Still happy about my mod 1 though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a freind had been talking about buying a mk3 golf gti 16v for a while but prices just kept going up. Then saw a seat cordoba 16v for sale on ebay. Bid on it and lost out but of course the winner messed the seller around so we got in touch and went to go look at it. 

Inspected it and we made a offer and took it home.

kp5Ppp7.jpeg

BEmsVK2.jpeg

It has the abf engine we wanted and ought to be fun once sorted.

KZOnqpa.jpeg

Thrown some water over it but it really does need some work so will be a slow project for us. 

All the Amber had flaked off the indicator bulbs so replacing those was a easy job. The boot light was unplugged so I plugged it in, strangely then the number plate lights lit up when I opened the boot. It turns out the loom going to the boot had become damaged. Probably why the number plate lights and both front a rear fogs were not working, both fuses had blown. Fog light fuse was over rated too. 

Stripped apart the interior and boot and pulled the loom out, took it too someone who makes automotive looms and he built us up a new one with new ends! Really nice to do the job properly instead of patching or crimping wires half way. Fitted the new loom and all functionality returned. 

The weird little oil dip stick guide had failed so we replaced that for a couple pounds. Weird little thing. 

fuehrungstrichter-fuer-oelmessstab-fuer-

The key fob also did not work but it had two cr2032 batteries installed. Swapped them out for cr2016 batteries and the remote central locking worked! 

Then we took the seats out as they were stiff and vacuumed out all the runners and cleaned them. 

vE1CIxh.jpeg

This also allowed me to do some poking and find five rotten corners of the floor pans, it seems the grommets retained moisture and rotted the floorpans around them. Also vacuumed out so much crap. All went together again fine but I have ordered a new set of door nylon runners to make them slide perfect. 

TjUUZCz.jpeg

Central locking knob had snapped off so ordered that as well, and fitted a few new bulbs behind the dash so all the backlighting works as it should. 

Still got a long list of things to do such as the rust, abs issue, terrible clutch feel (we think it's the cable), needs a new grill, passenger side wing, broken passenger side electric window mechanism, cracked front fog light, oil leaks and gear shifter bushings. But we are getting the simple stuff done fast, at least the aircon works. 

Probably best to do a service next anyway. 

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, Seat cordoba 16v
32 minutes ago, Skcat said:

Me and a freind had been talking about buying a mk3 golf gti 16v for a while but prices just kept going up. Then saw a seat cordoba 16v for sale on ebay. Bid on it and lost out but of course the winner messed the seller around so we got in touch and went to go look at it. 

kp5Ppp7.jpeg

BEmsVK2.jpeg

KZOnqpa.jpeg

Thrown some water over it but it really does need some work so will be a slow project for us. 

All the Amber had flaked off the indicator bulbs so replacing those was a easy job. The boot light was unplugged so I plugged it in, strangely then the number plate lights lit up when I opened the boot. It turns out the loom going to the boot had become damaged. Probably why the number plate lights and both front a rear fogs were not working, both fuses had blown. Fog light fuse was over rated too. 

Stripped apart the interior and boot and pulled the loom out, took it too someone who makes automotive looms and he built us up a new one with new ends! Really nice to do the job properly instead of patching or crimping wires half way. Fitted the new loom and all functionality returned. 

The weird little oil dip stick guide had failed so we replaced that for a couple pounds. Weird little thing. 

The key fob also did not work but it had two cr2032 batteries installed. Swapped them out for cr2016 batteries and the remote central locking worked! 

Then we took the seats out as they were stiff and vacuumed out all the runners and cleaned them. 

vE1CIxh.jpeg

This also allowed me to do some poking and find five rotten corners of the floor pans, it seems the grommets retained moisture and rotted the floorpans around them. Also vacuumed out so much crap. All went together again fine but I have ordered a new set of door nylon runners to make them slide perfect. 

TjUUZCz.jpeg

Central locking knob had snapped off so ordered that as well, and fitted a few new bulbs behind the dash so all the backlighting works as it should. 

Still got a long list of things to do such as the rust, abs issue, terrible clutch feel (we think it's the cable), needs a new grill, passenger side wing, broken passenger side electric window mechanism, cracked front fog light, oil leaks and gear shifter bushings. But we are getting the simple stuff done fast, at least the aircon works. 

I'd like a crack at this when you're done with it.

3 hours ago, Skcat said:

kp5Ppp7.jpeg

BEmsVK2.jpeg

KZOnqpa.jpeg

vE1CIxh.jpeg

Fucking well in ! Lovely biscuits 

On the clutch cable front, @Mk2 Craig fitted a manually adjustable one to my Mk1 Toledo, rather than an auto adjuster - made a big improvement to pedal feel.

4 hours ago, Skcat said:

kp5Ppp7.jpeg

BEmsVK2.jpeg

KZOnqpa.jpeg

vE1CIxh.jpeg

TjUUZCz.jpeg

Those seats are just *chefs kiss*. Plz bring it around at some point so I can drive it :D. You can have a spin in the Demio.

Time to get the gpz ready for the road as my mod 2 is coming up. First thing was first was the chain. 

spacer.png

I got a new fancy did chain but it was slightly too long. I took the old chain off with a grinder and removed four links off the new chain with the grinder. 

No matter what I Did I could not get the master link to click in so I left in my freezer for a half hour and with some grips it all popped together again. 

NXW3TEV.jpeg

Then adjusted the swing arm assembly, I think it needs a new front sprocket someday. 

I also noticed the Silencers are off a triumph, seems very autoshite.

I then did a oil and filter, realised the lower cowling was hardly held on so it got some new bolts to hold it all together. 

Adjusted the carb so the idle does not work itself loose (as much). And pulled out the right spark plug, it was iridium. I was tempted to put it back in and forget about it but I thought i might as well replace them both. The left sparkplug came out very rusty and it was a diffrent type. 

sDrcYho.jpeg

Trying to put the left one, but I had problems. It just would not thread, i was worried it was somehow crossthreaded. 

It turns out the remains of a previous plug was still somehow stuck in the well (you can see on the photo) one that was fished out it threaded in without a problem. 

Immidietly the bike revved so much better, the revs no longer hung like before. It did not need as much choke to get it running when cold, but the strangest. It warmed up so much quicker then before (even considering the colder conditions it used too never warm up). No clue why but I will take it. 

Topped up the front brake fluid, seems to be ready to go! Probably best do some work on the brakes and replace the ageing tyres but I want to get it on the road first. 

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, got my motorbike licence! 👌

Went to the dealer and got the speedo cable guide. Small thing but i guess its important. 

spacer.png

2GjcaPE.jpeg

Got a fuel tank mount bushing as well but I've been two lazy to fit it yet. 

Went for the first ride out and put my first 50 miles on it. Was good fun, not as fast as the ninja 650 but all the power I need for now. But I ran into a few issues the more I rode it. 

It's running a bit cold at speed, maybe I will just fit a new thermostat. It got louder and louder the more I rode it, was coming from the front of the engine. I went back to the kawasaki and got new exhuasts manifold gaskets, one stud (incase one snapped and new bolts). Took it apart and that was indeed the issue. 

OBFXRkZ.jpeg

I'm glad I bought the new nuts as the old ones were not correct. It went all back together and It was as loud as it should be again. 

The final issue is my brake performance is very poor. My buddy said after I did a hard stop my front brake was smoking. I can only guess the pads are in poor condition or just crap quality. Any ideas?

Will probably get some EBC organic pads and service the slide pins when they arive. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a caliper off a er6, rear master cylinder rebuild kit, some new stainless lines and new pads and had a go replaceing all the old stuff. Never messed around with brake hydraulics but it seemed to be simple especially on a motorbike. 

DeH0C78.jpeg

And after:

3aCxpyJ.jpeg

I did not get a front master cylinder rebuild kit but after I got the brake fluid out I relied it might not be a bad idea, front;

QXvxNEv.jpeg

And rear;

r5hmN20.jpeg

No wonder the rear felt so spongy, probably should have done this all ASAP... Or bought a better bike, Who knows?

Still got the clutch to adjust and tyres to change for now. 

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, rover 416!

Need to get some rover photos put up, cleaned the interior and made it far nicer. Blower motor was only working on speeds 3 and 4 so got a new risistor pack and got it blowing on all four speeds, only £8.

Sadly the heater matrix is clogged, I might have a go filling it with vinegar to clean it out. Anyone tried that before? 

Got a couple new tyres fitted to the gpz, weirdly the front tyre had a inner tube in it, so we left it in there. Messed around with the clutch, does not slip now but I'm out of adjustment on the cable so ordered a replacement.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:09 AM, Skcat said:

Need to get some rover photos put up, cleaned the interior and made it far nicer. Blower motor was only working on speeds 3 and 4 so got a new risistor pack and got it blowing on all four speeds, only £8.

Sadly the heater matrix is clogged, I might have a go filling it with vinegar to clean it out. Anyone tried that before? 

Got a couple new tyres fitted to the gpz, weirdly the front tyre had a inner tube in it, so we left it in there. Messed around with the clutch, does not slip now but I'm out of adjustment on the cable so ordered a replacement.

Oven cleaner. Watched a youtube video years ago of a guy filling the matrix on his old chrysler minivan with it, then flushing it out with a hose after leaving it to sit for a while. Worked well for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the oil on the Seat. It was the hardest oil filter I've ever had to remove. Needed a chain style oil filter grabber and a 1M breaker bar to loosen it off, the sump plug was the same story. It does not help the ABF engine really does not feel like it was made for the polo chassis. 

Turned out the heater valve on the 416 was so nasty and rusty the bowden cable was not moving as it should. Cleaned it up and now I have perfect heat, no issue with the matrix as I thought.

Put two new decent tyres on the GPZ and noticed the rear wheel bearings and carrier bearing were well past it. Changed house around and found a lot of vertical slack on the swingarm. Turns out the shock mount had a bad bush. 

i1vUygJ.jpeg

Figured out the choke was not applying as it should, it was due to the loom getting in the way of the linkage. Not really sure if I'm missing a bracket or clip, I just cable tied it and get all the full choke range now. 

Fitted a new clutch cable and clutch lever (old one was bent). 

Stuck a new thermostat on it as the temperatures were always a bit funny. I don't really feel much of a difference from all the changes. Lots of little fixes, so it's far nicer now. Brakes are so much nicer now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on passing your bike tests. At least now people get some kind of training before they are allowed out on the road. In my day it was 'This makes it go, this makes it stop and this is how you change gear. Good luck!' And that was it! How I survived those first few months is a mystery know only unto the gods. My guardian angels were flying low and close!!

Great news on getting another 800. Lovely cars. Had one in the late 90's early 2000's. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rover 800, it's sat in a garage while all the parts arive to fix it. Ordered a exhuast mid section, bushes, ball joints, a mirror, wipers and a few small bits.

a 800 vitesse interior came up for sale for not too much. Picked it up as I've always wanted one. 

S5imAFw.jpeg

eWjcpM6.jpeg

sajHAoT.jpeg

Looks pretty rough but was just £75 so I came home and cleaned it on Sunday. 

5BvDlFb.jpeg

Its not perfect, probably never will be but it's clean and will look cool at least. The armrest would be cool to finish it off if I can find one cheap. 

I changed a weird little vacuum elbow and spark plugs on the dodge and it seems to be running better. 

Did the oil on the 416 and 940 this weekend too, managed to use all the random half used bottles around my garage.  The 400 has also been painted ready for the rally and is looking great, will get some good photos at some point. 

Other then that I've ridden the gpz a little more but the clutch is slipping more now. Does not seem like a hard job but a shame as I just did the oil in that. 

A lot of work between all these cars, keeping me busy!