SKcats fleet, seat cordoba top end engine rebuild!

Skcat

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

I'm surprised nobody else has said this yet; frisbee the trims.

Otherwise, utterly wonderful. Well fucking done!

Someone local to me is selling the correct wheel trims for £80! Just not sure how much I want to spend on silly stuff before I can drive it around with confidence! 

I've always wanted a body on frame car and always wanted a v8. This drives like nothing I've owned so far. You do slide around on the bench and even in its broken state you can break the rear wheels free by accident. 

Going to be honest I spent £1500 on it, I half feel like I got something really fun, half feel like... "What have I done, this thing is mad and I can't even park it anywhere" . It has lots of issues but it's actually the first car I've bought with working aircon! 

7 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

You bought it for £1500??????? That is one almighty bargain! 

Possibly! Who knows! Came with a photo of it in florida when it was imported in late 2016.

spacer.png

It looks like 4.5 years in the UK have not been so kind too it! I should remove that tow bar. Mine has not got the factory tow package as its not got a mechanical fan so it must have been added down the line! 

17 minutes ago, Skcat said:

Someone local to me is selling the correct wheel trims for £80! Just not sure how much I want to spend on silly stuff before I can drive it around with confidence! 

Bare steel rims are fine. That said, £80 seems fair as I bet they aren't easy to find in the UK. Whatever you choose, just get rid of those wheel trims. They look proper shit. 

Bargain!  Give it a thorough valet, a good service, a bit of paint and some decent wheel trims and I reckon you'd not be far off being able to double your money if you've a bit of patience and can stand the hassle of trying to sell cars to the general public.

Major envy...big comfy barges are much more my speed these days. 

Thing is they're not even that huge compared to many modern cars, you'll get used to parking it soon enough.  Biggest thing you'll need to get used to more than the size is parking from the wrong side of the car...that really screws with my head every time I go to the US.  Driving, no problem.  Can I park though to save my life?  Not a chance!  All the reference points are in the wrong place!

Being in the centre of the car in the Invacar means I still struggle to reverse park the damned thing straight.  Sure there's a joke in there somewhere...

A proper yank motor is something that's very much on my list.  A friend back up north had several Buick Regals/LeSabres/Park Avenues and they were cars I never wanted to hand the keys to back.  Dynamically laughably poor but oh so comfy and just a lovely, lovely way to cover vast distances.    For all they seem to have a reputation for being underpowered I do wonder if expectations are just different over there, but they always seemed to have plenty of poke as far as I could tell.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

For all they seem to have a reputation for being underpowered I do wonder if expectations are just different over there, but they always seemed to have plenty of poke as far as I could tell.

I think @Skcat's has the LT1

which definitely has plenty of poke :)

(if you fit it with a Manual gearbox...)

On 6/15/2021 at 11:59 PM, Justwatching said:

Bare steel rims  look proper shit. 

EFA. 

If the Buick has a matching set, of almost any sort, leave them on.  Whipping them off leaves you immersed in a world of Kurust and Hammerite to make the car look even half-decent.  It's worked for me on the Volvo but that Buick is a whole world prettier.  Would people be saying the same for a Merc W126?  I doubt it!  The Buick is upmarket from the Merc, don't drag it down.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

I'm glad he's still playing the game!

He says he’s sticking to the Yanks from now on. I don’t blame him, it’s been a while since I’ve been properly jealous of one of his cars, but I’m properly jealous of the Buick! 

I’ve tried to get him back on the forum but he’s not up for it, even if the management would unban his account. Shame. 

2 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

He says he’s sticking to the Yanks from now on. I don’t blame him, it’s been a while since I’ve been properly jealous of one of his cars, but I’m properly jealous of the Buick! 

I’ve tried to get him back on the forum but he’s not up for it, even if the management would unban his account. Shame. 

That is a real shame, I miss his wealth of knowledge, lovely cars and general grumpiness.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, Skcat said:

I've always wanted a body on frame car and always wanted a v8. This drives like nothing I've owned so far. You do slide around on the bench and even in its broken state you can break the rear wheels free by accident. 

Going to be honest I spent £1500 on it, I half feel like I got something really fun, half feel like... "What have I done, this thing is mad and I can't even park it anywhere" . It has lots of issues but it's actually the first car I've bought with working aircon! 

Get those trims bought quick smart. 

You will be able to get it running fine for not much at all, they're simple beasts mechanically.  It's no bigger than a transit and there's plenty of those going around.  

I love full fat yank motors like this, in fact can i have second dibs on it please?

20 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

@cort1977... "..Yes, but also young black men, 26" chrome alloys, marijuana.  There is no middle ground.."

Would that be 'tinted, A6/8' in UK.... ?

I have no idea what the equivalent here would be.  Don't think there is one really.

Buick Roadmaster Rims 24 - Vtwctr

I actually think this looks quite good.  Some with really big wheels just look a bit daft but the chrome on this one works.  Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread.

I attended the volvo600 record attempt on Sunday! Was some cool models there:

spacer.png

This 850 R was my favourite! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A strange North American spec 850, you can tell as it has volvo blanking plugs in place of where the indicators should be. Apparently I was the only person to pay it any attention! The owner seems to love it as had it resprayed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A Manual 960!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There was so much more there, I imagine someone else on this forum attended!

In other news my old rover 800 has been passed to its next owner and that next owner is already sick of it. 

spacer.png

I wonder how long it will be untill its on its 20th owner! Hopefully it sticks around! 

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, Volvo 600!
13 hours ago, Skcat said:

What did you bring? Enjoy it? I think it was a bit of a cock up like that last one but I loved seeing all the cars and that's what matters! 

I was in a 2004 V70 so nothing special, I enjoyed seeing all these lovely motors together but the wife and kids were not as keen. It's hard to criticise the effort and enthusiasm devoted  by the organisers to pull all those Volvos together but IMHO it was a colossal cock-up which left most attendees disappointed. There was an attempt by the MX5 gang the previous week which seemingly all went to plan, the big differences I could see was a formation lap up one side of the runway and down the other and an FM broadcast which drivers could listen to and follow instructions, this is before we get onto the toilet situation! (no, I couldn't do better, no I'm not going to organise the next effort)