SKcats fleet, seat cordoba top end engine rebuild!

Skcat

On 6/19/2022 at 11:34 PM, Skcat said:

The rear doors Don't work on the central locking, I will need to take the cards off and even see if they have solenoids.

From my memories of the noise the central locking makes on these, I think they're probably motors rather than solenoids.

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, Swedish spots!
On 6/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, yes oui si said:

Lovely thing. Does the O series sump hang ridiculously low like the Perkins one does? 

Yep it does, Good think I looked. 

Spent today cleaning it and cleaning moss and crap out from behind the window trims. No wonder these rot out, the crap I got out from behind the trim was unreal. 

The speakers were very shot, it was annoying me so I got a pair of standard pioneer 5.25 inch speakers for the front.The tailgate ones are weird they were some oddball 4.5 inch size, looking up the part numbers only sent me too old Mk1 discovery speakers that were similar.

spacer.png

In the end I just bite the bullet and ordered some 4" speakers that looked like they would fit. Seemed to do OK but left a little gap around the edges. 

spacer.png

The sound quality still sucks but it's hugely improved. I replaced the little bulbs for the buttons up front, and got way too bright led bulbs for the heater controls replaced. I'm a little disappointed I changed the bulb in the clock and it still does not work.

Rebuilt the glovebox light switch, it will probably last a week before it jams up again but works for now. 

Gave the interior a clean out and took a rear door card out too look at the central locking motor things, power gets to them they are just broken. I ordered one for a Discovery that looked similar, hopefully it will do the job. I love the way the original discovery is just a parts bit special from the montego and 800.

I fitted a new expansion cap lid as it looked terrible and a new one was so cheap. 

Washed it up and cleaned all the muck off the underside of it, it's starting to clean up well for what it is. 

spacer.png

And for everything I fix I find more broken bits. Should get new plates ordered up for it. 

My buddy 3D printed this for me:

spacer.png

Looks cool but I imagine I need to cover it in some epoxy and sand then polish it down otherwise it will get moldy pretty soon. 

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, Montego odds and ends.
On 6/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

when you undo the airbox end you'll hear why!!! 😈

Servicing it now now any clue what this does and where it goes? It's really loosely fitted in the airbox lid. 

spacer.png

I don't think the last owner ever serviced it! You can see some dents from the sump hitting things! 

spacer.png

Spark plugs don't look too bad, but I stuck new ones In gapped too 0.85mm! 

spacer.png

Now onto the issues. The stupid little elbows for the inlet too ecu pressure sensor have failed and I'm sure that will cause running issues!

spacer.png

I can a pair from rimmers, no big issue. 

The bigger issue is after changing my expansion tank cap the next weakest thing has failed and my radiator is now starting to leak. It's not bad but it will need addressing. 

Does anyone know where I can source a radiator, it appears like mine is larger then most I see online. It's around 70cm wide and around 32.5cm tall. 

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

not sure it isn't similar to daysel one

might be same as rover 400/800

It turns out there is two sizes of rads on these (I think the 1.3 had a third smaller one) 

I have a ADU9855 which is a 625mm wide core. 

The smaller size is a ADU9516, this has a 500mm core width and is a little shorter, the pegs are longer so it still slots in. 

Both rads slot into the same hole next too the inlet, but there is two holes on the battery size to accommodate either size of rad. Both rads have 32mm ports and I have no clue on the temperature sensor. 

Some after market suppliers just make one part and say it fits all (which it does) but confuses you when you have the larger one which they don't mention exists. 

Maybe the estates get the larger radiator, I know for sure the turbo ones do. All this means is I should be able to source any radiator and fit in in a pinch. It would be nice to get a 625mm one to match the pipework though!

@Noel Tidybeard do you know where it goes on the block? Thanks for the help so far! 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:24 PM, Rust Collector said:

Nice purchase on the Prelude! I miss driving mine, they're fantastic cars. Those DOHC VTEC engines are pretty indestructible too - back when I was at the main dealer I got a Civic VTi on 220k miles in exchange for about £30 worth of kebabs, it smoked a bit on crossover but was still a rocketship and never let me down in the time I had it. I still see it driving around after selling it to a local lad. 

In terms of rust, keep an eye on the seam where the rear inner arch and the rear quarter meets, from memory there should be a rubber trim on that with sealant inside to stop water wicking in via capillary action and rotting the panel out from the inside. On my one the windscreen frame started to bubble up as well, and I ignored it as the car was laid up which resulted in the windscreen cracking pretty spectacularly!

Is yours a BB4 chassis with 2 wheel steer or a BB1 with 4 wheel steer?

In the early noughties I bought a one owner Lude this shape although it was the 2.3 non V-TEC mill. It was in that sort of pink metallic a lot of them came in. It was high mileage but you would never have know. Defo the best shape of Lude (WTF were Honda thinking with the front of its successor 😳?). Superbly engineered cars

I got some 3.5mm hose from GSF and replaced the whole pipe and fittings with it. Will do the job for now. 

I found coolex in Nottingham make a very similar radiator for a MG TF, I have them a call and they say they will be willing too take my leaky one as use it as a reference to make a new one!

Or I just buy a tf rad and cram it in somehow! 

I fitted the 3d printed 940 hazard cover and Silly coin tray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the two of them:

spacer.png

On 6/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, yes oui si said:

Lovely thing. Does the O series sump hang ridiculously low like the Perkins one does? 

Yes. Especially if you lower it, ask me how I know.

1995 Northampton Baloon Festival , the Council actually paid me more than I paid for the car for repairs, taxi home etc.  The stewards opened another entrance over the base of a post…

8CD792D7-A483-4055-82C8-352540D282B9.thumb.jpeg.1d8aad484df065bf6cf288b807991804.jpeg9B9A2AFD-F15C-41B7-A512-C84CB7448874.thumb.jpeg.51eeada1d2f9300270bbed9be03950b3.jpegDADD920D-9D98-4891-9049-15E4A8B54BE1.thumb.jpeg.a91281898ad771c330099d40d9b18749.jpeg

3 of those kids are mine , don’t know who the one in the buggy is, my youngest wasn’t born for another 2 years. The bloke is FathaN not me.

It took all over 30 minutes to replace the sump when I got it home.

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Yes. Especially if you lower it, ask me how I know.

1995 Northampton Baloon Festival , the Council actually paid me more than I paid for the car for repairs, taxi home etc.  The stewards opened another entrance over the base of a post…

8CD792D7-A483-4055-82C8-352540D282B9.thumb.jpeg.1d8aad484df065bf6cf288b807991804.jpeg9B9A2AFD-F15C-41B7-A512-C84CB7448874.thumb.jpeg.51eeada1d2f9300270bbed9be03950b3.jpegDADD920D-9D98-4891-9049-15E4A8B54BE1.thumb.jpeg.a91281898ad771c330099d40d9b18749.jpeg

3 of those kids are mine , don’t know who the one in the buggy is, my youngest wasn’t born for another 2 years. The bloke is FathaN not me.

It took all over 30 minutes to replace the sump when I got it home.

Not as low as mine was 😂

FB_IMG_1656714164914.thumb.jpg.a7564c4f4b06d6a206416762103a6443.jpg

Mine had been a demo car for an MG tuner and had extra negative camber too , plus it had a silly induction and exhaust system . The bonnet flipped and smashed the screen , so I swapped the 7th seat and belts  and the wheels onto a newer  1.6L estate. Then sold the remains to someone making an MG Maestro  rally car.

Seeing that MG badge reminds me that I made my company 2.0GTi estate into an MG using a set of white MG wheel trims and Stuck an MG octagon over the Rover badge on the grille. What a knob !

Watching that back, I miss that car. Dodgy MOT on it, sills were literally filler and rolled up newspaper, jack went through the floor more than once. 

I'll have another Montego estate one day. One that isn't shit. 

And I'll raise the engine mounts so it doesn't split the sump doing +20 on the A1. 

1 hour ago, Skcat said:

Front and rear, onto a estate? I Might need to change plans... 

Yup. You'll need to swap the metal bushings on the bottom of the rear shocks from the montego iirc as they're a different diameter, but it takes very little time. 

Apparently* they bought a golf to borrow* the suspension geometry from during development, which is why they drive quite similarly, and why the parts are so compatible. 

5 hours ago, yes oui si said:

Yup. You'll need to swap the metal bushings on the bottom of the rear shocks from the montego iirc as they're a different diameter, but it takes very little time. 

Apparently* they bought a golf to borrow* the suspension geometry from during development, which is why they drive quite similarly, and why the parts are so compatible. 

Very handy as they are readily available just need a set that are as adjustable as possible.

I fitted the disco lock motor thingie and it still kinda struggled, I lubed up all the linkage pivot points and it all worked perfect. Just need to change the passenger rear door and I have fully working Central locking. Ordered it up now. 

The indicator unit arrived. The non original packaging had the montego part number but the unit is for a maestro... A much more expensive part but I would prefer the part I bought. 

I finally swapped the original head unit for my modern pioneer unit with Bluetooth and DAB and along with the new speakers it sounds much better now. 

Driving down to Kent tommorow to pick up a job lot of bits from Facebook. Wish me luck!

All went well, I think I'm going to ignore the radiator for now as I just did a 400 mile round trip and the coolant level did not seem to drop much. 

My first take was tesco premium and I got 40mpg, my second tank was shell premium which got my 39mpg and this time I am trying shell standard. The driving is mostly motorway speeds but its not so scientific. 

I got a bunch of spares including the rear wheel arch I need for the passenger side. It appears to have been fitted to a car shortly before it was parked up then cut out again. 

spacer.png

Got to meet up with a slightly famous (at least by 740 standards) car, To drop off some bits!

spacer.png

You can see the fresher but still retro font licence plate I found in the boot! Still got to fit the rear one but they help a lot. 

Does anyone need a diesel gearbox and starter motor? Are they the same as the petrol? I have no need for them but if I did not collect them they would be scrapped!