SKcats fleet, seat cordoba top end engine rebuild!

Skcat

416I said when I bought my rover 800 earlier this year that I would start a thread about it. Well I kept putting it off, And around 3 months later I have already gotten rid of it. So I should make a thread detailing the cars I own and run for a bit of fun. 

My main car I've had for almost four years is a Volvo 940. I've always wanted one and this is my second and I don't see myself getting rid of it for a long while. I've put some 16" sport alloys on it and added some extras like cruise control. I can't see myself getting rid of it for a long while! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the past I have had all sorts. I love 90's cars but love to try all sorts. I don't trash my cars and I don't restore them, but I try too improve them in my ownership. I do tend to loose money on all my cars but i get to try all the cars I've wanted to try! I will show some photos of all my cars.

spacer.png

My first car a 1.1 106 and my third car a 1.8 405 with MI16 body kit, alloys and interior. I believe had a MI16 engine fitted from a rotten 1990 405 by the next owner. 

spacer.png

My second car a Skoda favorit (or forman) 1.3 GLXI. sadly the subframe and sills were rotten. Unfortunately I scrapped it.

spacer.png

I had this £150 felicia for a few months, was nice but had lots of issues. 

spacer.png

I had this 300TD for a while it had a OM603 and made my ears ring after 100 miles. I think I would aim for a OM606 next time. 

spacer.png

I had a 406 GLX HDI 110 for a few months it had a bad MAF but I unplugged it and it seemed to run fine. It has a table on the roof. 

I then got my first 940 but it had so many issues I needed up pulling the engine and scrapping it then buying my current green 940. That was the only car I had for about 2 years but I wanted to try more cars. 

spacer.png

I had this 1987 suzuki swift for a while in 2018 it was fun! 

spacer.png

I then got this USDM eclipse but it had been too so many countries and had so many issues. Getting parts was a real hassle for it. 

spacer.png

Then I had the protot 1.5 I sold on this forum. 

spacer.png

Followed by a Clk230 I also. Sold on the forum. 

spacer.png

Then this 850 S 2.5

spacer.png

And finally this rover 800 2.0 auto sterling that I have just swapped for the mazda. 

spacer.png

Its a 1989 automatic. But has been in a garage for 6 years, it will need some work to get it through through the mot but it will be a little project! 

I thought I would go through my car history first! Will do a follow up post with more mazda stuff and upload progress. Maybe some volvo content. Just like others do on these kinda threads. 

27 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Well that's a quality fleet. It's a long way from the Sterling and Mercedes down to the Škodas and Swift, that's properly varied. Shame the Favorit was so rusty, it looks nice there. 

It had the smoked rear lights. And a few other bits I really should of pulled off. I try not to scrap anything anymore. 

It was a very late one as the first Felicias were M reg. I think they kept the estates going a bit longer. I had an N reg estate that also had a lot of rust whereas my current J reg has almost none. I'm sure Skodas early metallic paint was porous. 

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

It was a very late one as the first Felicias were M reg. I think they kept the estates going a bit longer. I had an N reg estate that also had a lot of rust whereas my current J reg has almost none. I'm sure Skodas early metallic paint was porous. 

I would love to try another favorit estate however there is so much other cars I would love to try. Maybe a mk1 superb one day! 

I got the mazda just the other day. Its a 1989 2.0 12v with a three speed plus overdrive auto box. It seems well speced car for the time with electric windows all around and a electric sunroof. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I swapped the 800 for it. It belonged to a older woman who had it converted to be used without use of your feet. Linkage has been removed from the pedals to levers at the steering wheel. But all the equipment has been removed.

The car was used untill 2015 when the woman could no longer use it and it was parked up in her garage. So I'm curious too see what I will need to do to get it road ready. It runs well as the tank has been drained a new fuel pump had been fitted. Since getting it home I've spend a good few hours vacuuming out the interior and cleaning it up. I've put new wipers on it and replaced all the bulbs on the rear clusters as they just kept failing one by one. After cleaning the interior up it looks quite respectable, the seats are really comfortable. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also found a period correct mazda first aid kit and a fire extinguisher with the date 1988 on it which is pretty funny. I might leave the first aid kit on the parcel shelf where I found it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And as for the issues I've found so far.

The car has three silencers and the front one has a hole in it so the car is quite loud!

The car needs four new tyres as they are all dry rotten. 

I've found one of the front springs snapped. 

spacer.png

Bits of rust here and there. The car seems solid but it seems it needs some treatment to prevent it becoming more rust then metal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm certain there will be more issues to come. We will see when it goes in for it's mot, I imagine a issues with brakes or brake hoses but I will give it all checked before taking it too be tested!  Hopefully I can get it road ready soon! 

11 hours ago, Skcat said:

I would love to try another favorit estate however there is so much other cars I would love to try. Maybe a mk1 superb one day! 

If a good mk1 Favorit came along, I'd recommend it. It has a much more 80s feel to it than the mk2, with its cardboard doortrims and brown interior. And you can feel that it's carburettor fed somehow. Can't really explain that but you just can. The mk2 feels like a Felicia in a sharp suit, the mk1 is more like a back to front Estelle. In a good way. 

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread now and let other people talk about some of the other cars. 

Just as a little update... 

spacer.png

A new front spring. If it passes the mot maybe I will get a new drivers side one and new dust covers! The shock seems fine which is great as I think it's original. And the hoses seem fine. 

spacer.png

And a new wing mirror. Saw it for £16 and could not help myself. 

Awaiting the new front silencer it's taking ages too arrive.

Still awaiting parts but my neighbours has thrown a spanner in the works. He is offering me a W202 OM605. I've had my eye on it for years.

spacer.png

But.... I don't have much space... Not sure what to do now! Should probably let it go but the tempt is real! Any thoughts from anyone? 

I really wanted the Merc. Was a really nice car. The rear bottom arches where bubbling up but I think they would have been treatable if sorted soon. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It needed a patch on the inner wing sorting but the bulkhead was clean and underneath was all clean.

spacer.png

And the jacking points where all clean too! They often rot out. Mot testers are not allowed to remove the plastic trim Some w202 and W124 Models go around with terrible sills.

spacer.png

Best thing was the milage. Turbo felt great too.

spacer.png

It has a BAS light on which I think could be a break light switch, they are only around £8, and the alarm keeps going on which could be the small batteries inside the siron failing and damaging the pcb. But I could not diagnose it properly. 

Sadly I did not have the space for It and knew I would probably get bored of it after not too long. So I got in touch with a friend who loves these things and he decided on buying it site unseen. Went for £500 which is great considering it has a new battery, alternator and glow plugs with a lot of MOT left. Maybe oneday I can buy it off him.

The front section still has not arrived for the 626 however I wound the boost up a little and took the volvo to Santa-Pod which was great fun!

spacer.png

After three weeks if waiting it turns out the supplier does not have my exhaust part. Neither my local motor factors. Does anyone else know anyone good too contact?

Edit; might have found one! If it end up being a false lead I will just have to make one! 

Another car has come up that I could not help myself too! So the mazda needs to go. Very sad. Its a record for me to want a car gone so quick but between the proton and Swift I feel like I'm already getting bored of Japanese family cars. 

It is a shame as I promised myself I would get a camry but I don't think it would last a week before I got bored! Thankfully the exhaust part arrived so hopefully I will have some luck fitting It tonight. I will raise a thread for selling the mazda if anyone wants it. I will be loosing a lot of money on it but as long as it goes to a good home I will be OK with it. Anyone fancy a Roffle For it! 

As some of you guys have seen the replacement for the mazda is a buick roadmaster. I've been promising myself I would get a 90's crown victoria for a whole but the way the prices are going it seems to be getting further and further out of reach. 

This is similar... Ish. It has the LT1, body on frame chassis, bench seats. And runs and drives. Although has lots of issues which is too be expected for a cheap old car. 

spacer.png

The speedo is completely off, the fans did not turn on and it overheated but I caught it quick. The ignition system is very unhappy and it stalls out but I hobbled it 100 miles home with only a couple break downs! 

I am a little out my depth with this thing but hopefully I can get it running right. 

It is kinda cool how it's the autoshite colours also! Will update when i figure more out! If you was too see any specific photos please ask! :)

• Skcat changed the title to SKcats fleet, Brown on beige yank!
6 minutes ago, Skcat said:

As some of you guys have seen the replacement for the mazda is a buick roadmaster. I've been promising myself I would get a 90's crown victoria for a whole but the way the prices are going it seems to be getting further and further out of reach. 

This is similar... Ish. It has the LT1, body on frame chassis, bench seats. And runs and drives. Although has lots of issues which is too be expected for a cheap old car. 

spacer.png

The speedo is completely off, the fans did not turn on and it overheated but I caught it quick. The ignition system is very unhappy and it stalls out but I hobbled it 100 miles home with only a couple break downs! 

I am a little out my depth with this thing but hopefully I can get it running right. 

It is kinda cool how it's the autoshite colours also! Will update when i figure more out! If you was too see any specific photos please ask! :)

oooh thats a lovely barge, very much looking forward to posts on this one :) 

as probably most of us do, I do love the old, proper Body on frame V8 US cars :) 

A few more photos so you guys can see the interior:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

It's all a bit shabby, the underside seems really clean but the body has a few rusty spots, I'm not sure what to do with the scab above the rear window apart from ignore it until it get worse! one of the fan motors is kaput so i have a new one on order from rock auto along with some other gaskets and bits so i can get too the Optispark!

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I always think these are owned by a certain demographic over the pond - retirement village, white socks, oxygen.

That was their target market when new!

The station wagon version of this was the last body on frame wagon, and IIRC also the last car offered with factory wood side trim. It was a bit of a legend amongst those that like such beasts, such as people who wanted a capable towing car, and so kept its value very well.

There were no Ford/Mercury full-size station wagons after 1991, so Buick (and Chevy) had the market to themselves.