Volvo V40 T4 Resurrection Shuffle.

Snake Charmer

It's not running, might give it a go over the next couple of days. Supposedly chipped to 300hp and has the earlier 1.9ltr engine, both of mine are 2ltr V40's. 

Bob commented on the rear suspension being high, its compensating for the stereo gear that was in it. 😳

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, Crackers said:

Jesus wept that's poor.

I bet the torque steer is interesting if that's really a 300bhp donk.

There's a couple of rutted roads our V40 would get upset on full chuff with 200hp. The brakes were not great either, at least that S40 has EVO front brakes. I'm mulling over building one good standard 2ltr car with all the best bits or build a 1.9 hybrid turbo on ME442 management, easily 300+. Should put a smile on the other half's face going to Tesco. 🙈

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I moved all the Volvo's about today with a view to deciding their futures. The S40 T4 will be going once stripped and a few parts sold off. The V40 T4 I resurrected is knocking like a bastard and the other V40 T4 bought for spares runs quietly but overheats. I now have two broken 2ltr engined cars and two 1.9ltr engines of unknown parentage and condition which are the stronger engine to add boost to. Sadly, I am enjoying the Mercedes too much and I keep thinking of selling the Volvo's. 🙈

On 16/10/2022 at 20:57, beko1987 said:

@gnomeothad an S40 t4 once, was fucking brilliant 😅

Some very illegal memories involving that car and the m40, amazingly quick

The previous owner of that S40 said he had 170mph out of it. 🤔  Mine is a standard 2ltr, I had ideas about building one of the two 1.9ltr engines up with a hybrid turbo and stand alone ECU but the Mercedes has ruined that idea. Mulling over just rebuilding back to standard but it always needed a little more up top as it ran out of puff. The brakes aren't up to the performance, I faded those many times!

11 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

I moved all the Volvo's about today with a view to deciding their futures. The S40 T4 will be going once stripped and a few parts sold off. The V40 T4 I resurrected is knocking like a bastard and the other V40 T4 bought for spares runs quietly but overheats. I now have two broken 2ltr engined cars and two 1.9ltr engines of unknown parentage and condition which are the stronger engine to add boost to. Sadly, I am enjoying the Mercedes too much and I keep thinking of selling the Volvo's. 🙈

Stick to the Merc, much better, especially after all that work you have done. 

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

It was the endless torque that I remember. Never ended, even in 5th! Torque steer was mentioned though 

Fuel was alot cheaper back then though... 

Yes, the torque is fantastic low to mid range.

3 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Stick to the Merc, much better, especially after all that work you have done. 

I was thinking of an additional Mercedes and no Volvo's 😁 The new bulbs are up to Bob standards.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That week didn't go to plan, weather wasn't great. Made a partial start on the Volvo's by sorting through some of the spares and creating space to store the stripped car parts. Had a battery charging and pressure washing session and our car still looks good.

20231111_134433_001.thumb.jpg.2d6edc164b1c190f36e359428253c669.jpg

Dug a set of 18" wheels out to try on the spare car as 3 tyres are struggling to hold air now. The discs will look puny behind these.

20231111_134523.thumb.jpg.eb0e108c42144a6262d6388d00685180.jpg

Far too good to break really but would yield one fantastic car from two. Still undecided what to do with them now I also have a matching brace of Mercedes estates.

20231111_134453_001.thumb.jpg.0f301f385277678941791959eb31e0d0.jpg

Didn’t get to try the 18" wheels on the spares car, the others held pressure long enough to get the car out. The front left oozed cheesebugs and fizzed a lot of juice but held better than when I collected the car a couple of years ago! Started easily despite being stood over a year.

Edit: Had this one two years now. Jeez.....

Tidied up and went through some of the spares today, I seem to have various turbos in all states of disassembly, discs and calipers that look like bigger Sigma stuff and all sorts of trinkets plus assorted crap. Moved the 1.9 engine from under my welding bench, struggling for space now!

Spares car clutch was playing up yesterday, brakes gone today and I couldn't be arsed to see why.