Volvo V40 T4 Resurrection Shuffle.

Snake Charmer

19 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

I'm having my very own Apocalypse Now moment, tyres. Oh the horror!

£100ish a corner budget, something classed 'A' grippy in wet and sticky dry so I conclude the crappiest economy must mean grippy. I have liked Continentals over the years but want to try something more up to date and thought of Michelin Pilot Sports. Volvo specify 205/50 R16 87W, that size only comes V rated but they do a W rated 45 section! Why? The horror, oh the horror. 

Rims bring collected Monday for refurb, silver as per original.  Now I have until then to pick one of the 4 different silvers they do. More horror. 

What sort of price are you looking at for the wheel refurb?.I've bought another set of Mondeo wheels for my Puma,these ones are the correct offset to not need spacers,but look like they've been painted with a roller 😂.       I was thinking of having a go at the refurb myself,but might just pay someone else if it wasn't too expensive.

2 minutes ago, 155V6 said:

What sort of price are you looking at for the wheel refurb?.I've bought another set of Mondeo wheels for my Puma,these ones are the correct offset to not need spacers,but look like they've been painted with a roller 😂.       I was thinking of having a go at the refurb myself,but might just pay someone else if it wasn't too expensive.

Lepsons online quote was £320, that should have been a lot less as they are bare rims and no tyre refitting and balancing. We use them  at work and I have been impressed, other than a couple of simple mistakes with Halibrand knock on wheels inside the pin drives they have been spot on. They did a blinding match on some Honda NSX wheels and the Ferrari Scaglietti wheels looked factory. Fingers crossed I will be getting trade discount.

34 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

Thanks for replying. What do you have them on? At the moment I am considering the V rated Pilot Sport 3. 

I've had them on several cars - Kia Rio, N15 Almera, Saab 9-3 (multiple sets), and my current C180 mercedes. I find they grip incredibly well especially in the wet and don't wear as badly as others have said. I got 25k miles out of a set of 4 twice on the Saab which isn't a light car.

2 hours ago, worldofceri said:

I would recommend putting the best tyres you can afford on one of these.

The cliché ‘handles like it’s on rails’ does not apply, yet you tend to arrive at every corner going at least 10mph too fast.

FFS I wrote a long reply and closed the bleeding page down! :angry008:

:mrgreen: The missus always had good tyres, mostly Continentals in sets of four, what let the car down from day one of buying it was the brakes even at 15 months old. Dealer serviced for the warranty but when they wanted to fit brakes I did them, again, like the tyres, a full set with genuine Volvo discs and pads with a fluid change. The first time I was bitterly disappointed at no great improvement and on more than one occasion solo I had brake fade. I looked at uprated discs and pads only to find the usual overpriced drilled and grooved dross with "Fast Road" pads and a free tin of caliper paint, nothing bigger with a decent track pedigree.

At the moment I am considering Toyo Proxes TR1 as opposed to the Michelin, this is going to be a third car not a daily hack so they don't need to do high mileage but stick in the dry. I'm sure they will outperform the mintex discs and pads I have to fit. The engine needs some work and will be coming out so I might go up as size on the wheels at a later date for a brake conversion. 

3 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I have used both Michelin PS3 (on Citroen C4 VTS) and PS4 on the Ovlov C30 and the PS4 is so much better at everything, but especially gripping in the wet. Not that I thought the PS3 was a bad tyre at the time or I wouldn't have had the PS4 if you see what I mean...

Encouraging. 👍 I fitted a set of Michelin EfficientGrip to our old Vectra, a bit of a waste as they definitely exceed the tired old soggy suspension and handling capabilities!

3 hours ago, Stanky said:

I've had them on several cars - Kia Rio, N15 Almera, Saab 9-3 (multiple sets), and my current C180 mercedes. I find they grip incredibly well especially in the wet and don't wear as badly as others have said. I got 25k miles out of a set of 4 twice on the Saab which isn't a light car.

Kind of how I feel with the Continentals over the years, dependable. I had 205/50 15's on my V8 Manta in the 90's and they made so much more of that car, that's why I opted for Continentals on the Volvo. They were one of the first tyres I looked at but I just fancy a change to see what 12 or so years has done with the tyre market.

I would waste the money on a set of these for a laugh but I can see me missing the turn into work and hitting a tree. That's marginally worse than lad who made it a bit further and missed the tree but hit the farm wall!

10 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

what let the car down from day one of buying it was the brakes

Yep.

When I collected mine from Middle-of-nowheresville the first thing I noticed was how quick it was.

Then I noticed how shit the brakes were.

Got a set of grooved and drilled and Mintex green(?)pads, much better, although still not Citroen levels of stoppage.

7 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Yep.

When I collected mine from Middle-of-nowheresville the first thing I noticed was how quick it was.

Then I noticed how shit the brakes were.

Got a set of grooved and drilled and Mintex green(?)pads, much better, although still not Citroen levels of stoppage.

Mitsubishi Outlander/Peugeot 4007 front brakes fit apparently. 

2 hours ago, Essex V6 said:

Spotted this on my Saturday walk. Looks as though hasn’t moved for a while and has a few infringement notices on the windscreen so things not looking too promising for it 😢

C39241E3-6ECF-4E67-9914-C1ADF7C1C41C.jpeg

79798453-B96B-4EB0-A1BB-CFADD6904673.jpeg

That's  a shame. I have not seen those wheels before. 

8 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

bridgestone turanza t005 👍

They were on the list, after lots of looking I went for Pilot Sport 3 in the correct size and load rating but V rated as opposed to W.

Wheels went yesterday for refurbishing in 'sparkle silver' and the tyres are on their way by post.

Collected a front crash beam and another left hand headlamp last night as I ruined the other one I bought by cleaning it. 🙈

to be  fairthe difference between V & W rating is a bit academic in this country with a 70mph limit!

Tyre speed rating chart

SPEED
RATING

KM/H

MPH
SPEED
RATING

KM/H

MPH
A1 5 3 K 110 68
A2 10 6 L 120 75
A3 15 9 M 130 81
A4 20 12 N 140 87
A5 25 16 P 150 87
A6 30 19 Q 160 100
A7 35 22 R 170 106
A8 40 25 S 180 112
B 50 31 T 190 118
C 60 37 U 200 124
D 65 40 H 210 130
E 70 43 V 240 149
F 80 50 W 270 168
G 90 56 Y 300 186
J 100 62 (Y) 300+ 186+

The fourth tyre turned up the next day, missed its connection somewhere apparently. Lepsons returned the refurbished rims, four day turn round and they look like new, I am very pleased with them. Hopefully having them fitted Saturday.

My nuts will need a polish before I can fit them back on the car.

20210610_195308.thumb.jpg.3ce6dd33fa752a362f580a0cf487c0bd.jpg

9 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

What cleaner did you use, the results look good?

Traffic film remover, spray pump and a couple of different size paint brushes, washed off with a hose pipe spray gun. With a brush it froths up nicely and goes a long way but needs washing off fairly quickly to prevent any damage from using it neat, alternatively dilute it.

I bought 20 litres from Euros.....

Screenshot_20210611-222302_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6239956ddfb87e9db2a43702b0ddf5bc.jpg

These Wurth pump sprayers are not cheap at around £19 delivered but last forever and can be rebuilt.

Screenshot_20210611-223400_eBay.thumb.jpg.2302765e3c14d952455d927fafb82aac.jpg

Little bit done on the headlights tonight, making a good pair out of five. Completely stripped to a shell and washed with TFR then rinsed with hot water. I bought better quality plastic adjuster pivots for the corners that go brittle and break at the slightest movement. Polished up my original black inner bezels and repaired the clips I broke, final assembly and fit tomorrow when the paint dries.

20210617_214635.thumb.jpg.0431f2b1b936c063b14845e8bc8766e9.jpg

20210617_214656.thumb.jpg.121aa176e55b55c9d59f3ed28edadd80.jpg