Specially Adapted Cars

sierraman

22 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

A few years ago there were stories about cars used for transporting diamonds throughout Europe. The reason was something like you could buy diamonds in London one day , take them to Amsterdam ,Paris or  Moscow the next day and make a fortune. It came to light when one of the modified cars appeared on eBay with 600,000 miles on it. 
The seller had a fleet of specially modified Golf R32s, with strong boxes welded to the rear floor pan, armoured glasss and run flats. Don’t know if it’s still a thing or what they use now, Golf Rs would make sense.

A lot of people probably will have seen this already, but this 911 is one of the best things on pistonheads, used for moving race car parts about when it's urgent. 

'Built for commuting across Europe and the top end of Africa at speed it can carry 96L of fuel, generate it's own 240V mains supply, has three GPS receivers and one GLONASS receiver, a sat phone, telemetry, remote diagnostics, it's own specific lightweight Facom tool kit & spares package, 48hour emergency food and water, holds 10L of engine oil, can wade 0.5M of water, has BS5051 spec seal sealing tyres along with TPMS, a lot of underbody protection and a Tomtom!'

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1601182

14 hours ago, angle said:

A lot of people probably will have seen this already, but this 911 is one of the best things on pistonheads, used for moving race car parts about when it's urgent. 

'Built for commuting across Europe and the top end of Africa at speed it can carry 96L of fuel, generate it's own 240V mains supply, has three GPS receivers and one GLONASS receiver, a sat phone, telemetry, remote diagnostics, it's own specific lightweight Facom tool kit & spares package, 48hour emergency food and water, holds 10L of engine oil, can wade 0.5M of water, has BS5051 spec seal sealing tyres along with TPMS, a lot of underbody protection and a Tomtom!'

Yeah I read that. Is he exempt from speed limits though? 🤣

3 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

All those rail truck van things reminded me of this. At least there’s some logic to putting a small commercial on the track, no idea why Vauxhall thought this was a good idea, maybe promoting the pulling power or the cornering as if on rails sensation of the PC.

580DC39E-F8B8-4AA6-87B0-5517D0F4AD06.thumb.jpeg.74935254d5a419d4a359373375f4162f.jpeg

Was this done on the Buckingham branch line before BR closed it?

14 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Was this done on the Buckingham branch line before BR closed it?

More likely the old Oxford Cambridge line , which is supposed to re-opening in a couple of years. The bit from Bletchley to Bedford is still there , one of the stations on it is Milbrook, although Vauxhall might have still been testing at Chaul End in 1965/6, I think Milbrook Test Site was opened a bit later.

I could have a look on Vauxpedia but I darent go on there when I’ve got things to do this afternoon!

On 5/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, angle said:

Pretty much all the same mods you'd do if you were attempting the cannonball run

Saw one of these today near Skidby, a car adapted to be a lawn (one of those 'orrible artificial lawns which do absolutely no good for the environment) -

image.png.937624ce0e66f2946d335734f575c916.png

And it'll do no good for your self esteem either. Apparently there's a fleet of them scurrying about. If you become a concessionaire of Easigrass one of these becomes your company car. 'Owning the most amazing car around' indeed.

https://www.easigrass.com/news/owning-the-most-amazing-car-around/

But talking of horticultural adaptions, I'm surprised this one hasn't turned up yet, which needs no introduction -

image.thumb.png.bbea9b2fd897933c8fa7b2eb20c304af.png

Or this, the Birds Eye Pea car -

image.thumb.png.674fe78afad7e08e106bcd4b301cb322.png

And talking of your five a day -

image.png.92cb94dd663e7585bcfe13d85b444ac1.png

And all washed down with -

image.png.08cfb62c5d10d08049edbbc88838729f.png

4 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Aussie doors?

Correct, It is a post 1970 Australian example with the wind up windows and Clubman noes (amongst other things).

Australia never got the MKII Mini, instead the MKI was continuously updated until local production ended in 1978 (Moke continued until 1982).

8 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I've been in one of those Outspan orange cars, very odd experience. Seen a beer bottle lorry in a museum but can't remember where. Also:

image.png.0fbe4ba27c6ce4788afc72c9ca2feacf.png

I'm old enough to remember seeing the Outspan cars in use, they were a regular feature on the prom at Scarborough in the '70's. They may have been accompanied by Nell Gwyn look-a-likeys handing out oranges, but I'm a bit unclear on this (I was a young lad at the time).

Talking of emulsified offal tubes and nuts -

image.png.002dfe7cee3bc9ae3c8b510d1efcca82.png