communal 205 lickers thread

loserone

Oooh I can play in this thread! This was my first car, my parents had it when I was in school and said that if I could keep it going until I learned to drive I could have it - I was working Saturdays in a garage at the time:

1914425_292325425602_7103385_n.jpeg.7f74f484749070c2d41dee39b3591110.jpeg

I absolutely loved that car, it was a NA diesel that we ran on biodiesel. It survived the bottom hose blowing and losing all its coolant, suffering major HGF but was brought back to life by a miracle bottle of K seal. I spent many happy evenings delivering pizza in it, giving it death everywhere and it never complained. It's a wonder I wasn't killed in it really, the way I drove then. It ended up like this:

381520_10151128642365603_233714648_n.jpeg.8ab9840f9946f06b3ef4a9f8149de7a6.jpeg

Note the mismatched fuel cap as a result of an attempted fuel theft - it had biodiesel in it at the time, so they left most of it! It also had a mismatched interior between the front and the back as a result of a huge biodiesel spillage that soaked into the rear seat - the only way to deal with it was to swap in a new rear bench from a scrapper. I think in the picture above you can also make out the questionable rear camber as a result of a fucked rear beam. It got bad enough that the rear wheel would rub the inner arch with passengers in the back. The solution? Spacers! Happy days...

Later on down the line a 1.6 GTi came up on RR and I realised that if I didn't have a GTi now then I probably never would, this was before prices went properly mental but were on the up.

179735857_Peugeot205.jpg.5b3fe12ee9db4f80b90167bc3a3ee741.jpg

I loved this car as well, the PO had done a great job of sorting out the handling - coilovers, solid top mounts, polybushes everywhere, good tyres and the thing was an absolute riot. Probably the most fun to drive car I've ever had. I put on a reworked head with bigger valves, a lairy cam, 4-2-1 manifold and bike carbs with mappable electronic ignition which turned the thing into a proper giggle, making a not unreasonable 137bhp. I promptly got done for 83 in a 40 and shortly after that the car got stolen and torched. Not the happiest ending, but this is one of the cars I miss the most - especially when you look at the price of them now.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:43 PM, chaseracer said:

If you're anywhere near upper Weardale, it could be @Jimbob McGregor in my old car 😎

image.png

Oh! I’d loaned the 205 to a friend who would have been in Durham at some point and works near Consett!

I’ve got it with me now down in Kirkby Lonsdale, Lancashire. It’s great as always.

Yeah, do it - for the interior if nothing else. The squeaky fan can be fixed by swapping in a motor from a Partner or a 306, original non-squeaky 205 blower motors are a bit hard to come by now but if you take the fan blades off the original (be careful, they can break) and swap them onto the newer motor assembly it's a straight swap.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, TheIsleofShite said:

205 afcionados your advice on this GRD that has come up for sale locally to me please

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1404207

1991-peugeot-205-619bdcf683c08.jpg

Exterior colour is a minus, interior is a massive plus. What lovely seats. Relatively low miles, looks to have been well-cared for. Nice big sunroof, big MPGs. Looks like an excellent means of transportation to me.

I guess I can post here now as this POS is back. Went for a bin run (my bin lives at the end of my track about a mile away) after putting some diesel in to thin down the 3 year old veg that is in it (and which really stinks!) Back in the shed until I can properly seal the sunroof, where it is keeping some posh company.

575180062_IMG_14551.thumb.JPG.f8c85733e3c16194c0b12582dfa0501b.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I should never have sold CKD - genuinely miss it a lot. Prior to that, this was my only experience of 205s:

IMG_20211228_204755.thumb.jpg.a39286000ac1aeb9704b969492669dcf.jpg

Hopefully getting the black XR in Feb will help fill that hole. 

As an aside, a mate has offered me his Saxo VTS project for £100 as his parents are selling up and it needs gone. 

Anyone fancy putting the VTS lump in the XR for £notridiculous? If so, I could get it shipped to you whole, and the XR in early Feb. I'd happily let you part out the bits I wouldn't need/weigh in the shell, cats etc to fill your pockets/as part payment. Your kind of thing @Jimbob McGregor

Hi… yes, it’s tempting, however, £notridiculous would only really come about if you’d done a couple of these swaps before and some of the detail can take up a lot of time.

I’ve got rather a lot on (plus a queue!) with limited space to store and the day job of keeping locals’ cars/vans on the road, so I’d be best saying no (unfortunately). 

Would be a fun thing though…

3 hours ago, Jimbob McGregor said:

Hi… yes, it’s tempting, however, £notridiculous would only really come about if you’d done a couple of these swaps before and some of the detail can take up a lot of time.

I’ve got rather a lot on (plus a queue!) with limited space to store and the day job of keeping locals’ cars/vans on the road, so I’d be best saying no (unfortunately). 

Would be a fun thing though…

No problem, I'll keep looking. 

It's one of those well-the-donor-is-so-cheap things 😂

• 1 year later...

Third 205 acquired, just clicked over 50,000 on the way home, couple of little jobs to do but very happy with it. 

The GTX was available for one model year and was basically a run out model for the XS/GT I believe, it features a fuel injected 1.4 TU3 rather than the carburettor in the older GT, this means it’s slightly less powerful (75bhp) but better for me as I couldn’t be arsed faffing about with another carb’d 205.

GTX spec gets you the GTi front valance with fogs, Peugeot Sport Steelies, that big sunroof, electric front windows, velour sports seats, a rev counter, temp gauge and the all important digital clock which actually works, though I’ve not tried to set it to the correct time yet!

Mods planned:

gingercators, drop me a message if anyones got a spare set.

4C169542-1CF0-4DB3-B685-E5C7C3219888.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...