communal 205 lickers thread

loserone

On 5/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Jimbob McGregor said:

On 5/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, barrett said:Yes, the GT was sold. I can’t remember if it was all through the run starting with the suitcase engines but it was definitely available from c.1988 onwards.
Expand  

Yup - back in the mid nineties a mate had a GT as his first car, early one from about 85 complete with suitcase engine. There was a surprising amount of rust on it, and I don’t remember him having it long. 

On 6/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, loserone said:

I enjoyed having that 106 kicking about for a couple of days.

The 305 is definitely the 205's bigger brother, I like the 205s a lot but I don't see why there aren't more 305s still going.

I love 305s, but they like to rust. 205s can rust, but they're a definite step up in rust resistance over older Peugeot's. Around the early 80s was when wax injection and better sealants started to being applied to new cars. So the MK1 Golf went from being one of the worst rusters on the market to being really durable body wise. 

• 1 month later...

AiwVt4Dh.jpg

My 205 XR (1.4 TU3) that I am trying to sort as my first ever project, learning how to spanner as I go.  There are threads on PH and RR if anyone is interested, haven't bothered duplicating it a third time on AS.  I am hoping it will be back on the road soonish, just finished rebuilding the carb and need to make sure it is working properly, and need to bleed the brakes after fitting new caliper and flexi.  There remains a few niggles to sort (boot lock, hole in floor under rear passenger seat - haven't worked out how to get that sorted yet without dropping fuel tank and paying someone to weld it) and also cosmetics aren't great.

Still no progress on mine, I've got my engine crane back though so I can get the damned HDI back out of the bay. I've hopefully sourced another NA XUD7 and associated gubbins to go in, thus fixing the fact I've lost a lot of key components. In time I'm going to rebuild the original engine that sat outside for a couple of years, mostly as a learning experience.

The main barrier is I've not done any spannering since before dad died, I'm a bit worried how I'll do without him on standby to help when I fuck things up.

They are tremendously simple things though, so how hard can it be to put one back together?

4 hours ago, reb said:

Still no progress on mine, I've got my engine crane back though so I can get the damned HDI back out of the bay. I've hopefully sourced another NA XUD7 and associated gubbins to go in, thus fixing the fact I've lost a lot of key components. In time I'm going to rebuild the original engine that sat outside for a couple of years, mostly as a learning experience.

The main barrier is I've not done any spannering since before dad died, I'm a bit worried how I'll do without him on standby to help when I fuck things up.

They are tremendously simple things though, so how hard can it be to put one back together?

If you want an na xud I have the good one I removed from the van just sitting doing nothing,  your welcome to it.

14 hours ago, reb said:

Meet at your place? I'm sure the collective might of Scotoshite could get it back together. 

Feel free to message if you're stuck with anything. I have been told there is a 205 breaking in Laurieston but haven't been able to check yet. 

I am in love with my blue nugget. 

IMG_20210711_071517191_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Meet at your place? I'm sure the collective might of Scotoshite could get it back together.

Might be an idea after I've got the new engine! I'd have no idea how to organise something like that and parking at my unit is reasonably limited but I'm sure we could figure something out! It's probably only a day's work, maybe two, to get it back together with the right people. I'll do everything I can to get everything as close to ready as possible. I should probably get a timing belt kit as the new engine has one of unknown age. There's probably lots of things I need to do to be honest!

It has a few other niggles besides needing an engine, mostly electric related so they can't be addressed until it's running. Something I do remember is one of the side repeaters isn't working even with a new bulb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

Anyone had any experience with the 205 auto, there’s a nice low mileage one up for sale near me.  1.6 and 4 speed so maybe not as miserable as it sounds??

Don’t think they’re supposed to be very durable but might be ok being low mileage

My girlfriend (now wife) and I had several 205s in the late 90s/early 2000s. Started out with a 954cc XE (of which I can only find a partial photo of), then an XS (still got the same tent!!)

20211119_010724.thumb.jpg.c8e9dc8c6d7285148213987f6eb7e02d.jpg

DS2_0134.thumb.JPG.4c3282e1e6166a2f151362cb437655d9.JPG

20211119_010743.thumb.jpg.4b867c8c653752595dceb376ab80798e.jpg

Followed by a  white NA diesel. No photos of that as it was only owned briefly, but one amusing (with hindsight) story. I was replacing the brake hoses with it up on ramps, when a mate came round for me to weld up his exhaust on his 309. "Sure" I said "Just shift the 205 out of the way and I'll take a look." He  shot off the ramps, nearly put his foot through the floor, continued off down the drive and straight across the road before he could grab the handbrake. Ooops! :oops:

This was followed by a 1.6 GTi, which I popped an Mi16 engine into. Went rather nicely with the original gearbox :-)

IMG_1072.thumb.jpg.4e6144c769113babe198a34d342a4e83.jpg

24032008630.thumb.jpg.b2c8c889cbd7279cc9a721d760373662.jpg