communal 205 lickers thread

loserone

19 hours ago, reb said:

I bought my 1.8d 205 about 5 years ago now, it's the best car I've ever bought I think!

Unfortunately this is presently how it stands:

20210515_204411.thumb.jpg.4e8d3695e52df144777601eb824b6b10.jpg

This is the result of an ill fated attempt to fit a 2.0 HDI from a 307. The engine is in but doesn't run, and it's beyond my present capabilities to make it run unfortunately. A lot of external factors have gone into this, including the death of my Dad last year which has left me feeling pretty incapable of most things automotive because I don't have him there to ask things anymore.

The current plan is to fit a 1.8td sourced from a fellow shiter, but space is a problem right now so that's unfortunately on hold.

I don't know how long it'll be until I can drive it again, but when I do it'll be a very happy day indeed!

Plenty of time Reb. Dont worry and don't rush

On 5/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, barrett said:

You've all seen my one so I won't re-post it here. Does anyone know if the GT was sold in the UK? I reckon this is the ultimate 205 - basically a five-door XS. In an ideal world my one will look something like this some day

peugeot_205_1983_photos_3.jpg

Yes, the GT was sold. I can’t remember if it was all through the run starting with the suitcase engines but it was definitely available from c.1988 onwards.

Identical mechanical spec and trim to the XS. Confusingly there was an SR which was five door and had the TU3S engine but otherwise specified as per the upmarket Automatic model, ie: velour interior trim and the standard front valance rather than the sporty one.

Later the trim changed to velour along with the launch of the (identical, in terms of trim) 1991 Dturbo.

In 1992/3-ish the GTX came in with both 3/5 doors, the velour trim and a catalytic converter and single-point injected 1.4.

The GT above is a lovely colour...

On 5/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, barrett said:

You've all seen my one so I won't re-post it here. Does anyone know if the GT was sold in the UK? I reckon this is the ultimate 205 - basically a five-door XS. In an ideal world my one will look something like this some day

Yeah a friend spotted one in Basingstoke about a month ago.

20210416_120912.jpg

20210416_120902.jpg

59 minutes ago, Matty said:

Plenty of time Reb. Dont worry and don't rush

Absolutely! Rushing is what got it into this position and I'd rather not repeat the same mistakes again. I'm going to be sticking to more or less "factory" spec as far as possible ignoring that it's a TD in a 3dr. I'm only planning minor modifications like a short shift kit to tighten up the throw on the lever a bit and potentially bigger brakes on the front if I can get some that fit under 14s. Doing a big conversion that nobody's successfully completed (in the UK at least) was a big mistake but I got carried away with the idea of it. If only I could find some of that motivation now!

I very briefly flirted with the idea of plonking the 1.6 16v from the C2 in, but that has many of the problems the HDI swap does and more. Not least the top engine mount on a TU shell is in a different place from an XU/D shell despite looking more or less the same. I'm sure a suitable mount could be made but I lack the skills to do so.

Plus the XUD is the best engine in the world so why would I change it? (Very good question for 2019 Reb there!)

I rescued my 1986 phase1 XUD powered 205 from being crushed in early 2007,I had no real interest in the car,but thought it would have been a shame for it to be destroyed. 

I gave it to a mate who said he would fix it up and use it,but instead parked it in a hedge for 8 odd years instead.

20140816_143301.thumb.jpg.41290dcbcbeecc3be076a67005566607.jpg

20140816_143315.thumb.jpg.720bdbbbc103637629d66647af2e7b0a.jpg

I decided as it was approaching 30 years old to take back ownership and get it roadworthy again.

We put a battery in it and it drove out of the hedge which had been home for so long.

Quite a bit of effort was needed the brakes were rebuilt,the fuel tank had to be dropped to replace the rotten brake lines,and a tickle here and there with the welder too.

The original paint actually polished up ok,got it passed it's test and have used it regularly since.

It really is an ace little thing,comfy,does 57mpg and it drives quite nice for what it is.

Interior plastic is shit though,you can't touch anything but it wants to turn to dust.

It has an annoying clonk from the front left,changed everything,lower arm,shock and top mount and it still does it,Meh I can live with it.

Best smoll car eva!

20180623_150917.thumb.jpg.0ede93c48ceb2af51c045dbdcd6db1a8.jpg

20210211_111044.thumb.jpg.ab10dfbfbde45f76004cafe67bb200ab.jpg

That one looks great @Erebus. I think I've seen it on one of the 205 Facebook groups. The 205 is really colour-dependent I think, some of the shades Peugeot used are just so obviously 80s French colours they make a 205 look like an 'old car' - you'd never see a 90s car in that Heather, or the pastel blue, or beige - but later ones in 'normal' colours don't look at all unusual

1 hour ago, barrett said:

That one looks great @Erebus. I think I've seen it on one of the 205 Facebook groups. The 205 is really colour-dependent I think, some of the shades Peugeot used are just so obviously 80s French colours they make a 205 look like an 'old car' - you'd never see a 90s car in that Heather, or the pastel blue, or beige - but later ones in 'normal' colours don't look at all unusual

Totally agree. That pastel blue one looks particularly good. As you say, especially with those wheels 

On 5/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Jimbob McGregor said:

Yes, the GT was sold. I can’t remember if it was all through the run starting with the suitcase engines but it was definitely available from c.1988 onwards.

Identical mechanical spec and trim to the XS. Confusingly there was an SR which was five door and had the TU3S engine but otherwise specified as per the upmarket Automatic model, ie: velour interior trim and the standard front valance rather than the sporty one.

Later the trim changed to velour along with the launch of the (identical, in terms of trim) 1991 Dturbo.

In 1992/3-ish the GTX came in with both 3/5 doors, the velour trim and a catalytic converter and single-point injected 1.4.

The GT above is a lovely colour...

The G T was available from the UK launch in Sept 83 - it came with Velour seat trim , the pressed steel sports wheels and the twin carbed 1360 suitcased engine. Until the Gti arrived in 1984 it was the sportiest variant - the only real option being 13 inch alloys that would later be used on the Roland Garros special. It was joined initially in 1985 by the identical spec but 3 door X T .  In 1986 the Xs arrived and replaced the Xt - still with the Suitcase engine but adding the tweed sport seats and front spoiler and foglamps. Surprisingly though the 5door Gt carried on unchanged and didn't receive any of the Xs additions - it stayed faithful to its original spec until it was deleted from the 205 range in 1987.  When the facelifted Tu engined range appeared in late 87 the Xs remained visually unchanged but fitted with the Tu3s engine - but it was at this point when the Gt was replaced by the Sr which in truthfulness was just like the old Gt  but minus the sports wheels and Gt decals but now obviously fitted with the Tu3s lump. The Sr  only lasted the 1988 model year before it was superseded by the reintroduced Gt in 1989 which finally became the 5 door twin of the Xs and lasted until 1991.  The 3 and 5 door Gtx's appeared in 92 which were the petrol twins of the D turbo which were in turn velour upholstered Diesel Gts. As production was being rationalized in favour of the newer 106, the 5 door Gtx's were deleted in 93 and the 3 doors were rebadged XT , bringing back the shortly lived badge from 1985 to an equally shortly lived run out model. 

17 hours ago, barrett said:

I don't know why anyone would put GTi alloys on a 205, the XS dartboards just look so right 

When I got my DT it was on two dartboards and two 1.6 GTI wheels, and a dartboard spare. GTI wheels were much easier to get hold of and allowed wider tyres, so I rounded it up to a full set of GTI wheels with spares, and set the dartboards aside. The car handled fantastically on the GTI wheels, and looked pretty good too.

I managed to get a set of  four boring 14" Pug steels with tyres and some neat trims off a 405 from Junkman for nothing as he was wanting rid of them, so when I sold the car I put it on the 14" steels and included the three dartboards, but I sold the GTi wheels separately. 
1.6 GTI alloys are a piece of piss to get hold of and take a common size tyre (185/60/14), but dartboards are less common (especially with centre caps) and take an awkward 13" tyre. 

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

When I got my DT it was on two dartboards and two 1.6 GTI wheels, and a dartboard spare. GTI wheels were much easier to get hold of and allowed wider tyres, so I rounded it up to a full set of GTI wheels with spares, and set the dartboards aside. The car handled fantastically on the GTI wheels, and looked pretty good too.

I managed to get a set of  four boring 14" Pug steels with tyres and some neat trims off a 405 from Junkman for nothing as he was wanting rid of them, so when I sold the car I put it on the 14" steels and included the three dartboards, but I sold the GTi wheels separately. 
1.6 GTI alloys are a piece of piss to get hold of and take a common size tyre (185/60/14), but dartboards are less common (especially with centre caps) and take an awkward 13" tyre. 

Yeah, I mean, I do know why people do it. It took ages to find a set of dartboards and once they've been refurbished with new rubber and centre caps they'll probably owe me as much as the rest of the car, but they just look so cool!

I've had 3. I had a GLD for work that had been imported to Ireland from somewhere in Aberdeenshire, so had lots of surface rust underneath, and an identical red one that I knew the history of from new. I had them both for around a year in the early 00s. I still have my GL which is ready to put back on the road. I haven't done it because for the first few months of this year we were only doing about 50 miles per week between the two of us, so it would be a bit wasteful to put a third car on the road. Soon now, though.IMG_20201230_161038.thumb.jpg.a4b82f193301f2c421865554e00fd606.jpg

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

but dartboards are less common (especially with centre caps) and take an awkward 13" tyre. 

165/70 13 was one of the most common sizes when the 205 was a very common sight and is readily available if you search premium brands only - even then still less than many budget/mid range modern sizes at £60 a corner for Pirelli, continental etc is cheap.

Dartboards I agree difficult to get hold of, they weren’t common 205 years ago when I needed some for my XS

On 5/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, Erebus said:

Latest purchase for a few hundred quid. 65k 85 B reg 1.1 XL misery spec 4 speed suitcase engine. Now MOT'd 

20210520_172957.jpg

That looks lovely and a nice colour too. Mine is the same spec but with moar doors.

DSCF1444.JPG.0b45a4d4e517c04178891c01e426f1cd.JPG

I'd never so much as been in a 205 before I bought mine but I had heard good things about them. I saw this one on eBay and put a bid on it fully expecting to be outbid but I ended up winning it which meant a trip from Birmingham to Colchester to pick it up. I'll admit I was a bit concerned about driving home in a 33 year old car which I hadn't seen but after a few miles I found out what all the fuss was about plus, as @dozeydustmanhas said, the transfer gear whine reminded me of the fwd BMC/BL chod I used to drive back in the 80's and 90's when they were still cheap. It does get noisy when you get to about 50mph and could really do with a 5th gear for motorway work but apart from that it's great fun to drive as well as being, to my eyes,  one of the all time best looking smoll cars.   

I bought mine 18 years ago for 450 quid, when they were in proper bangernomics territory. I was working in France at the time and needed a daily car when I was visiting home. I cleaned it up and made it reliable. It then sat for a while when I repatriated, on recommissioning I fitted power steering from a Gentry breaker, rebuilt the gearbox and sorted the brakes. 
It’s always run well enough and definitely gives smiles per gallon. 
076F68E1-3120-481B-BCFA-F48EB9409C37.thumb.jpeg.5c94359cb67e9aada180ae2284438735.jpeg

BB789EF3-ACD9-4636-9EF7-A7C68974079B.thumb.jpeg.8dce43dba486693f6ca227eb096d2488.jpeg

849482AF-97FB-40C5-98AA-43333E3EBCE4.thumb.jpeg.0646e60f1cac65c6ae1f142920883442.jpeg

7 hours ago, BL Bloke said:

That looks lovely and a nice colour too. Mine is the same spec but with moar doors.

DSCF1444.JPG.0b45a4d4e517c04178891c01e426f1cd.JPG

I'd never so much as been in a 205 before I bought mine but I had heard good things about them. I saw this one on eBay and put a bid on it fully expecting to be outbid but I ended up winning it which meant a trip from Birmingham to Colchester to pick it up. I'll admit I was a bit concerned about driving home in a 33 year old car which I hadn't seen but after a few miles I found out what all the fuss was about plus, as @dozeydustmanhas said, the transfer gear whine reminded me of the fwd BMC/BL chod I used to drive back in the 80's and 90's when they were still cheap. It does get noisy when you get to about 50mph and could really do with a 5th gear for motorway work but apart from that it's great fun to drive as well as being, to my eyes,  one of the all time best looking smoll cars.   

Looks tidy 👍

On 5/16/2021 at 1:29 AM, barrett said:

Yup - GT was definitely sold new in UK