Is this Apartheid Era Series 3 Land Rover Worth Big Bucks? 1984 S3 R6 Petrol. 109 LWB.

Alan_Green

Pal of mine wants to sell his Landy.   It may or may not be a collectors item.  We don't know.  It's a rarity because it was built in South Africa during the height of sanctions and Leyland ZA struggled to import parts to produce any at all during that period.  But does that mean it's mega-valuable or will no one care?  The spec is above and it's in good running condition.  He's owned it for 28 years.  What do the collective think?  The car is in Botswana.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 17.46.26.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 17.46.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 17.47.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 17.47.16.jpeg

• Alan_Green changed the title to Is this Apartheid Era Series 3 Land Rover Worth Big Bucks? 1984 S3 R6 Petrol. 109 LWB.
4 minutes ago, Asimo said:

And some ollie bore will fit a sodding Diesel conversion.

And lashings and lashing of checker plate. And 30 section tyres. 

I wonder what that engine is? It's a six cylinder but not the 2.6 Rover engine. I think it looks lovely, its in amazing condition.

It’s a Stage 1 bodyshell (split windscreen but flat nose), I had one but in the UK they were all fitted with a detuned Range Rover V8.  Detuned by putting some washers in the inlet manifold 🙄

The other things that made it a Stage 1 were permanent 4WD instead of the usual Series 3 which was rear wheel drive unless you selected it with a lever.  What does your mate’s car have?

There’s quite a market for old Land Rovers in the US if that’s a way he wants to make money?

3 hours ago, warch said:

not the 2.6 Rover engine

Thank goodness for that.  If ever there were a boat anchor, that is it.  Possibly the very worst engine I have ever had the misfortune to have anything to do with.  Gutless, unreliable, fragile and horrendous fuel consumption.  Quite who thought it would be a good idea to put it into something with the aerodynamics of a house is beyond me.

This, on the other hand, looks quite interesting.  As mentioned above, I doubt very much it has much value over a standard model, but it looks very un-buggered-about-with, so it should probably stay where it is and remain un-buggered-about-with, as in the UK it would likely end up rusting away.

I can tell you the 6cy SA Landrovers go well in Botswana/Namibia  Kalahari and have a strong following in SA, Botswana, Namabia and what used to be Zim etc. Probably easier to sell over there, and no transport hassle, as people know  what they are, know their issues and bits/mods are available. Nostalgic masochists still use them for "outback trips" and there's probably safari companies buying/using (in non covid times).   

120hp looks pretty handy compared to 85hp from the side valve Rover six cylinder engine, and not much more from the detuned Rover V8. 

I like petrol engined Land Rovers, they’re not usually used for applications where economy is much of an issue. 

My one isn’t really much different to a diesel anyway (low twenties to the gallon) compared to 25-30ish from a diesel.

25 minutes ago, warch said:

120hp looks pretty handy compared to 85hp from the side valve Rover six cylinder engine, and not much more from the detuned Rover V8. 

I like petrol engined Land Rovers, they’re not usually used for applications where economy is much of an issue. 

My one isn’t really much different to a diesel anyway (low twenties to the gallon) compared to 25-30ish from a diesel.

My old series 3 ambulance with a 2.25 petrol 4 banger was horrid on petrol. About 6 to the gallon. Always wished I’d put a 200tdi in it but without the T. 

13 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Did Botswana copy the U.K. numberplate system, or has it been over here at some point in its life? 

No, it's just a coincidence. All Botswana plates begin with B (B for Botswana...). The three numbers and letters change (I don't think there's any significance to the number or letter combinations, just pot luck). Govt. vehicles start with BX and armed forces start BDF (BX and BDF plates are a different colour as well); so this land Rover is owned by a civilian. Civilian plates are white at the front and yellow at the back like us.

7 minutes ago, martc said:

No, it's just a coincidence. All Botswana plates begin with B (B for Botswana...). The three numbers and letters change (I don't think there's any significance to the number or letter combinations, just pot luck). Govt. vehicles start with BX and armed forces start BDF (BX and BDF plates are a different colour as well); so this land Rover is owned by a civilian. Civilian plates are white at the front and yellow at the back like us.

Kenya has a similar system 

I have to say that's the first series LR that's given me the horn in a very, very long time.  

A mate of mine owns this lovely old thing and I do, occasionally, have naughty thoughts about buying a LR.  

N1L6b6s8sxkpdDRb7mTZ-ki0-ts13UvR0TpvyzhzwiJprhfQlUxukHfWjOTN7WD7280d5dR3o3o7ccQin3-7qITBSk6kBShpoo-OdPG_ttzHRJgLV6xWLSU6BXQ8jBfmBhJRin3hZHZ2YaYRbhLn3GR8NbqeNvoXMPxUeNRSHrjbhN7jdhaokE2BhiokVvlkKAJe-Rhyku04WQ4-JxLJ-Xfzn8bcYjwsQrLk4XZLT9qBJb2nw9z3OmH8U0aYpovvW--vPZkPog6Ajfe7hDltD-e_IezV3ZBMBNdZ8bj0YL4vLXDBLf5ddrQHFtAPo3VOTjVySTv479VgJEqVhopeTN7cnDtBl-FDmj3JdHfLMuUA0k73p5zpDOTkx9KDz2uKKZe-DjGA_ZF6A8SkVuvluFnVS_EQVUsvX5fLwlyVxOeOelEJu9JdJzM_CvRBgP8_a_T7seF92Atel51bxjFR4CMqkkhYw5fT8icUwgVqpwGU0nJzB60J_HF78-1EWHBtchNT43tJDsmcf1PKVtcU1Oz18W18-ldhjXZ7g7JXtFC6acGJUlJIEEFTGOFyLo446canAY8yThclnN3bpwIUJKnhba5-4cV-0o4BEozuGMSEaPO_p9JI-Fziob-_O3BJPVoCy0_OL_wsIANI8Wvt-Xl_5wAbw0_Zt8RJGOllDyuMMWacxGCWrLrzU5K7lsVKwwaO35w0af8rJv9IZUscrDSm=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

The thing is I spent just under £6k on a VW T4 which feels ancient and industrial.  Spending more on something even ropier would probably send my OCD into (non existent) overdrive. 

16 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Did Botswana copy the U.K. numberplate system, or has it been over here at some point in its life? 

As to value, I doubt it’s worth much more than a home market one, although the rust-free condition may tempt some. If there’s a Land Rover scene in SA it would probably be an easier sale there. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Botswana#:~:text=Vehicle registration plates of Botswana for normal motor vehicles begin,confusion with the letter O.

I wondered about this too! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

OK, so all good useful info.  I've sent him a link so he can read it (as it's on the forum's public side).   We'll see what happens. 

Bots launched the current number plate system in 1995.  The plates look exactly like UK plates from 1995.  I once had P646PYG made up in Bots and put it on my UK Previa.  Simultaneously I had a big Rover 75 rear plate made up in the UK and put in on my Rover 75 in Bots.   There's no location info on the plates anymore.  The first plate series issued was B100AAA to B999AAA.  Next series B100AAB to B999AAB...then AAC...AAD...and so on.  It's a small country they are only up to B100BOL 25 yrs later.  I was all chuffed with the guy who issued me with B322ALG because it's my initials.  But it was just a coincidence that they were issuing ALG plates that month.  It's also a coincidence that this 1984 Land Rover is on a "B" reg, because every vehicle in Bots is on a "B" reg.  My favourite Bots plates are the army vehicles.  Black letters on a black background!

2021-Ford-Everest-BiTurbo-Limited-27-6311094_1.jpg

post-18080-0-44520200-1435277033.jpg

Cars_ (171).JPG