Ace Cafe London Events 2021

Peter C

According to the Cafe’s website, there are various events scheduled for the near future.

https://london.acecafe.com/meets/?cm=6&cy=2021&ct=

Does anyone visit Ace Cafe? Are these events genuine or has the website not been updated? If it’s all going ahead as planned, weather permitting I’ll bring my W123 taxi to the next classic car night.

If you go to the News pages, it seems they reopened for outside service only on the5th May.

If you’ve never been it’s a great venue, with a wildly different vibe depending on the night . Classic nights are very genteel and very well attended . Lots of Chelsea and Knightsbridge Toffs with their Pagodas and Bristols , mingling with Oiks from the sticks in Minis, Cavaliers and W123s.

I used to enjoy Ford nights which would descend into some sort of Dystopian Mad Max like Tyre  smoke fest with Cossies bouncing off buses and fights with Parcelforce lorry drivers. See YouTube .

Even that was civilised compared to Saturday nights with mentalists on stolen super bikes doing stunts until the bikes literally exploded and psycho scooter gangs terrorising everybody.

The foods shit and the beer’s expensive, but you’ve got me looking at forthcoming evenings and when I can go.

My son lived in Mill Hill for a short time. 

I once went to visit him, and we went to the ace cafe for a burger.  It was a dreadful let down.  

Overdone nostalgia? 

It happened to be JAP night so there were about 20 badly modified cars owned by unfriendly cliquey southerners.  I tried engaging the owner of an mx5 in conversation, but it was clear that he was a bit stupid. 

The burger wasn't the worst. But I've had better. 

32 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

If you go to the News pages, it seems they reopened for outside service only on the5th May.

If you’ve never been it’s a great venue, with a wildly different vibe depending on the night . Classic nights are very genteel and very well attended . Lots of Chelsea and Knightsbridge Toffs with their Pagodas and Bristols , mingling with Oiks from the sticks in Minis, Cavaliers and W123s.

I used to enjoy Ford nights which would descend into some sort of Dystopian Mad Max like Tyre  smoke fest with Cossies bouncing off buses and fights with Parcelforce lorry drivers. See YouTube .

Even that was civilised compared to Saturday nights with mentalists on stolen super bikes doing stunts until the bikes literally exploded and psycho scooter gangs terrorising everybody.

The foods shit and the beer’s expensive, but you’ve got me looking at forthcoming evenings and when I can go.

Ok, didn’t know about the news page.

I’ve been many times, great venue, looking forward to more events.

I once turned up to a French car meet at the Ace. There were just two attending: mine and someone else in a Peugeot. I haven't been back since.

Apart from the slightly awkward location, they don't help with the timing, either - many events used to start at the height of the evening rush-hour which always tended to come to a standstill at Stonebridge Park. 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

It happened to be JAP night so there were about 20 badly modified cars owned by unfriendly cliquey southerners.  I tried engaging the owner of an mx5 in conversation, but it was clear that he was a bit stupid.

I'm disappointed, I thought JAP night would have been full of these -

image.thumb.png.841ee29747356991030729ddef560a8d.png

and/or

image.png.cf447807b575198be4575888c0e153a7.png

Because

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Lots of Chelsea and Knightsbridge Toffs with their Pagodas and Bristols ,

I've been along to the Capri day the last few years and always enjoyed it. I know some of the modern general meets tend to attract a different crowd sometimes, and the local council get a bit narky when residents complain. 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I once turned up to a French car meet at the Ace. There were just two attending: mine and someone else in a Peugeot. I haven't been back since.

Apart from the slightly awkward location, they don't help with the timing, either - many events used to start at the height of the evening rush-hour which always tended to come to a standstill at Stonebridge Park. 

Same here in my BX. Drove a long way to get there, and it was pretty cack all told.

9From the late 1970's all the way through to the early 1990's I must have passed it several times a month. It had been closed for a decade by then, and I always wondered why it was never demolished and redeveloped. Glad it wasn't, as I had some great evenings there.

A few of us at work used to meet up there to swap the bikes on the national fleet around a bit, and always found the food to be much better during the day, as it was all freshly cooked and not pre cooked and reheated for the night time crowd. Mark was always around for a chat, and seemed a really nice bloke.

Hope he made a load of money franchising the Ace to China, USA and Spain, although how these branches are doing I don't know.